3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Member Looking for a Traditional Bow  (Read 234 times)

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
New Member Looking for a Traditional Bow
« on: September 07, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Bored with shooting my compound. looking for a new challenge. Any recommendations for First Timer. looking for something good for hunting.
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Member Looking for a Traditional Bow
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
Start with a bow right around 40# to 50# so you can develop good form and get used to change in feel of having no let off. The standard recommendation is to go down at least 15# at least from your compound bow weight.

A 45# used recurve would be a great place to start. You won't have a lot of money tied up and you can learn what you like and don't like, and move on from there if you want. If you like your starter bow you can just stay with it -- 45# is a good hunting weight for deer-sized game.

Take a look around in the classifieds here and on the big auction site. You will find lots of previously owned Bear Kodiak Hunters and Bear Grizzlies available as well as other bows like Shakespeare, Hoyt, Browning, etc. for under $200.

Good luck and have fun. And welcome to the trad world.
Joe
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
Acadian woods bow!!!! :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Smokin Joe has some good thoughts for you, RLC.  Pretty much the same thing I would tell you.  Use the search and directory functions here and see if you can locate someone close to you who can help or might have a bow or two you can try out.  Going with used bows is a great place to start until you get a good feel for what you like in a bow and what might not work so well for you.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Vinyari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
well from my experience, you want to start light, don;t over bow yourself, stay in the 40-45# range. Everyone that tries my lost creek just loves it, especially those changing from Compound, Chad's grip seems to be great for those used to Compound style grips.

I honestly don;t think you can go wrong with a lost creek, either contact Chad directly at

http://www.lostcreekbows.com

or go thru Dennis, who carries some stock lost creeks at

http://www.git-r-donearchery.com

take a look at what Pete Ward has to say about these lost creeks, they are an amazing bow and if Pete likes them you can't go wrong

http://www.peteward.com

go to Pete's trad reviews, and scroll down, it's fairly close to the top of the page

either way good luck and have fun

Randy
Lost Creek 60" long bow 45#@28"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
You will get lots of "This bow...hands down!"  Or, "This one...only one I'll ever own!"

Fact is, the best, or most expensive, or one that takes three years to get may not be the best for you.   Find someone who can loan you one or two.  Take a trip to a traditional bow shop if possible.  

I'm sending you a PM to give you a few choices.  From Shippensburg, you can be to two different places where you can shoot a lot of recurves within an hour.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
ric,

Come to Erie this weekend and try some different bows.  Should be a pretty good selection with the number of vendors coming.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©