3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Time for a change.  (Read 286 times)

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
Time for a change.
« on: September 07, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
Ever since I read my first elk hunting story I have wanted to hunt them. I'm talking obsessed with the idea. I haven't been able to make it happen and unless I get lucky enough to get selected one year for Kentucky's elk draw it never will.

Saturday while hunting the season opener I was thinking about how I needed to focus on things differently. I have groundhogs, coyotes, whitetails, bowfishing and a short drive away the Big South Fork where I could hunt hogs. My passion for a chance to hunt elk had me forgetting to enjoy all that I do have available.

I don't think I will ever get over wanting to hunt elk but I can at least enjoy what I do have access to that's for sure.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Time for a change.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
We all get that "grass is greener" mindset from time to time, and it's too easy to overlook the things we have close home.

Don't give up on your elk hunt, but don't fret in the mean time.  I like your attitude.

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
Thanks Mr Stout. I just want to go elk hunting so badly that it honestly soured my attitude for awhile.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  great philosophy!
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
Benha, Enjoy what you have but don't give up on that dream! I saved pocket change for several years and did every odd job I could find on the side to make my first elk hunt. A do it your self hunt in Colorado can be done for a decent price! Find a buddy to share the traveling expenses, save those nickels and dimes, skip your morning coffees or sodas at work and kick it into the jar and you can get there even if it takes a couple years!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
You could check out the "trade a hunt" section on here.  :thumbsup:
Harold Wetzler

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
Benha, I know how you feel. I mowed lawns in 1956 and got a subscription to Outdoor Life. There was an artical in one of the issues about elk hunting. I think it was by H. G. Tapply, and I've wanted to go ever since. Something always came up. I'll be retiring in the next year or so. Hopefully I'll go then. Good luck Hap

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
Hope I can get it done someday that's for sure.

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
Public land hunt in Colorado...not super expensive, lots of elk, and over-the-counter archery tags...don't give up the dream!  But that's great advice to not forget about what's right in front of you!  Hope you have an awesome season!!!!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Benha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
Yeah if I get to Co that is how I'll do it. Thanks.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
I'm there with ya' Benha. I want to go on an elk trip really bad. I think about it often, but I'm happy with the deer too. That's the way to look at it! :thumbsup:  

I can't wait though, for the day I get to hear an elk bugle first thing in the morning while breathing in the cold mountain air. :archer:

-Charlie

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
I think we all have our "dream hunt" but in truth we should all be thankful on what we do get to hunt; in Arkansas, we have alot of hunting season {5 months with no breaks} and we have alot of deer and turkeys for sure; never loose the dream, it's what good campfires are made for good luck this season to all....  :campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©