3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Of New Zealand Mountains & Alpine medows  (Read 4010 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Re: Of New Zealand Mountains & Alpine medows
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
Hi fellas,

Well as you can see I thought I'd better finish this thing even if a hick up or two unfolded.

Ray from what I know Elk was released in NZ yaers back, how far I'm not sure but at least 50, and at the moment the hunting groups from what I hear are trying to save it from cross breading with the Red deer. It is still classed as a "Pest" animal but if the hunting groups can get it changed to a Game animal then we are on our way to a healthy heard. Oh and also, yes you are right mate, a fire did kill off a wack of Beech trees in the area 20 odd years ago the owner told me. Made for top stump shooting that's for sure. Mainly hardwoods here in oz so shooting a stump means a dead arrow, not the case in NZ.

My hunting mate and I spent the morning looking for a waterfall that came out of the rocks but fail to find it so we spent the rest of the day catching the sun and planning the afternoon's hunt. My buddy is a keen photographer and I caught him in action...

al
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
Here is what it looks like after a good day in the bush (more on that later) you know, a fine meal off the animal you shot and carried out a ways, that day. Followed up buy a glass or two or ... well you get the idea. The Irish sure do make a fine wiskey..  :notworthy:  ...

Al
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Cutty47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2007, 04:46:00 PM »
More pics!!  Simply some of the most stunning scenery I've seen, and I live in the middle of some pretty good scenery!

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
nice going al  :thumbsup:    :campfire:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
Here is what my 6th day was all about fellas. I shot this young "spikey" stag for the table as the guides wanted some meat, real bad...lol. It was a kneeling shot at 12 yards and after the hit he went a further 20. Stone dead and I herd the crash he made. I was on top of the world this morning.

There's nothing like carring out your own animal you've just shot to feed the lads in camp. I would have kept his skin but he had just rolled in a wallow and was all covered in mud. made for a messy haul out.

Normally Red stags don't taste the best during the rut but this youg fella was melt in your mouth type eating. Washed down with NZ red wine and a follower of Jameson Irish Whiskey.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
As I posted earler lads, stump shooting was a new thing for me over in NZ. We have mainly hardwoods where I live and to shoot one with an arrow is... well ... it won't be an arrow after the shot.
 In taking a page out of G Freds book, I always like to practice whilst hunting. The more I shoot the better I shoot. So with all the fire damaged timber it lent itself to days of stump abuse. I only made up 1 Dozen arrows for this hunt and 4 of them where judos and ace hex blunts (two of each).

I'm now sold on both.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Excellent! Keep it coming this is getting better with every post.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
nice little spiker bro  :notworthy:

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »
Wow Al,  those dainty greenstone earrings got to be the prettiest I've seen next to the landscape pics...(green is my favroite color too) especially in those shades...thanks for the story, it's a very enjoyable thread...

Ho'nehe, Now I see why you retired at such a young age...making those pretty greenstones for the tourists   ;)

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
That is cool mate   :thumbsup:  Congratulations!!!!    Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your adventure. Can't wait to read about the rest of it. Great pics too.  Nice to be able to take game for table  while looking for your prize.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
Just keeps getting better and better..I also like shooting while hunting..   :campfire:

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2007, 06:36:00 PM »
Hi again fellas. Well I hate to dissapoint you all if your looking for that big stag I was after but our timing was wrong for he Red deer rut for our trip.

We had landed a wee bit early and all the big, mature stags were still hiding a ways back in the thick dark timber. Only on the last few days did we see any worth the trophy fee, and I mean these lads were big. One stag I counted 14 points on (7 per side) and would have made me a happy hunter. He just took my breath away. I did follow him for 3 and a bit hours but that's another story for anther time.

This did not put a wet side on things as I had a super time hunting these mountain medows after animals, wild and free. There is nothing like taking a nap and waking up in the sun with the rest of the afternoons hunt still in front of you. Pure magic. If I died up there on many a day, I'd meet my maker with a smile.

I'd found this little hollow in the rocks and made it one of my "Nap sites"....lol.

Thanks for all the kind words on my first overseas hunt. I'm already planning my next. Oh and one day I'm heading over your way to maybe go to a big Trad shoot/expo, hunt if I can (spot and stalk black bears hopefully) and do a tour through the widow factory.

To all the people that wanted info on my hunt I'll get round to you asap.

Regards,

Al Kidner.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2007, 06:45:00 PM »
Put me on that list Al, I'd love some info.  That country is sure enough to justify the trip all by itself. Just spectacular!  Someday Mate, Someday ....
Does the roar take place later in April then?
Thanks for sharing with us.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
good  on ya mate  :thumbsup:

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
hey whip its in may

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Ziggy/Oz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
Great story and pics Al . . . congrats . . .  looking forward to our fly fishing and Chital adventure . . . Ziggy

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
Really great photo's!
Thanks for sharing. I have been there twice myself and hope to return. Your story's and photo's brought back alot of memories. I hope you make it to the U.S for a hunt and trad shoot sometime.

Doug
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
Really enjoyed your photos and writing Alan!  Thanks for taking us along to a beautiful and for me exotic land.  Maybe some day I'll get there.  Congrats on some fine shooting too. Looks like you had a fine time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©