3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To shoot or not thats the question  (Read 694 times)

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
To shoot or not thats the question
« on: September 08, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Alright I video taped a whopper of a buck a month ago.  Neither of the three trail cams on the property have caught a hair of him.  

Now there is a new buck that is tempting me.  He would be the biggest buck of my hunting career but his face looks younger and younger everytime I look at him.

Video snip it of "Brows"  Biggun
 http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e349/trdtnlbwhntr/?action=view¤t=MOV006.flv

Stills of "Tines"

Would you shoot "tines" if given the shot?

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: To shoot or not thats the question
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
"He would be the biggest buck of my hunting career..."

Hell, yeah, I'd drop the string, with no regrets. It is possible to Trophy Hunt yourself right out of a deer.  There are all kinds of "shoulda, woulda, coulda's" that pass through your mind, but any deer that's in line for the "biggest of my career (whatever that is at the time)" is a shooter in my book....

JMHO

Now go get him!  :thumbsup:
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
I'd let one fly at that one for sure!     :thumbsup:
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
How many can you shoot in your area?

Man, Brows is a nice buck. But the other one is very good as well. I'd take a shot at either of them.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
Only you can decide that one. I personally would shoot something 1/4 his size!  :thumbsup:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
in indiana you are allowed a single buck all year long so you best make your single buck count.

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
to shoot or not is a question only you can answer.

If you need the approval of others, youre hunting for the wrong reasons IMO

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
i dont need approval.  I love to hunt to chase whitetails around.  I am not a biologist.  I wants whats best for the herd that inhabits my property.  There are those on this site that are far more involved in herd management than i am and i was looking for their input.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
Unless those deer stay on your property, either is probably going to get shot by the first guy to get them in his sights.

Nothing wrong with letting any animal pass, just don't get upset if someone else doesn't.

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
Dustin,

I agree with those above.  If it would be the biggest you ever taken, then drop the string!  Then you can send me a pic for a plaque, LOL!

By the way, did you send your deposit yet?

Also, the decision you gotta make is a nice problem to have!  Just hope I have time to get in the woods this Fall.  Going on an elk hunt next week, but not sure how my deer hunting time will go.  Especially if I keep getting orders for the carvings!

Good hunting!  

Chip
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
Dustin,
I think you need to invite me to hunt your property so that I can take care of that young one for you.  That way you won't be tempted and will wait for the really big one :-)  I won't even charge you - heh, heh. Take care and get out and hunt!
TommyBoy

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
Well the best I can tell from the picture his backstraps look well filled out.I would shoot him  before they start getting tough myself.  :bigsmyl:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
I'd say shoot him, take lots of pics, and be super excited with either of those fine bucks.  Keep in mind...that buck will look alot different with a winter hide and testorone pumping through him come October.  Only sure fire way to know age is to age the jaw bone...only way to get that is a dead deer.  Both bucks you've shone are beautiful deer....Good luck and can't wait to see pics when you get one of them!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
lol, I looked at tines and thought "biggest buck of your career? huh?  What about the monster last year?"  Then saw the video clip.  My guess Dustin, is 'biggun' is over 4.  I'm really not sure on tines.  He does look young.  This year, I would probably take either one, but might think about tines.  

You know as well as I do as soon as you see the deer up close you know!!

You gonna put the chop on one again or use your custom?  Good luck!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
A hoosier here too. IF I had a large area they were in where no one else was hunting, I'd pass on Tines in October. Bigun is a BIGUN!

Oh sure, you might get skunked holding out but, I know Id be holding out for that big boy if I knew no one could hunt him in MY area.  Yes, he might venture out of it, but he isn't a yearling and made it this far.

With the does we can shoot here in IN for meat anytime in the season, Id be holding out till the rut for Bigun.  If no shot at Bigun by mid November?  IT'S WAR! lol

That said, both bucks are super bucks in their own right.  With the length of the nose on Tines, and the body structure in this time of the year. He is not as young as some might think. IMHO

Not a LOT of mass but an excellent buck. I know I'd be tickled to shoot his twin.

A tough call, but non-the-less I'm tickled you have the chance to hunt either of them.

The "right" decision is the one YOU want to go for. Our own would be right only for us.

A quick question. The still of Tines is THIS September? Date says 08.

Keep us updated!
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
First one that offers a shot.....but thats just me.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
Just for the heck of it, Justin. You might wanna post a couple photos of bucks you've taken here in N. IN.

It doesn't appear that you are new to hunting other "big uns".

just IMHO.

BTW... NORTHERN IN here too but Ive got a gazzillllllion guys to contend with. Not gonna be that picky. lol

Wishing you luck. I'd like to see either one on your garage floor if I'm close enough.
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
Now that you mention your reasons for choosing...I'd wait on the Tines and hunt the Brows.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
Do what feels right.  If it is your biggest, or first , or just can't hold back take whatever deer you want. I understand that you are trying to manage a herd on a specific property.  From what I understand unless that property is huge, once the rut starts to kick in any deer worth his salt is going to be expanding his range and cruising, especially if he is not the top buck.  That 3,5 year old wants to breed just as much as your bigun.  If the big buck is holding tight to your property the other bucks are likely to start cruising.  Even your big buck might expand his range beyond your property lines, so you can't guarantee that you will see any of your summer bucks once fall hits.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline Divinecedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
This is a terrible predicament. I would be glad to help. If you will set me up where the pictures were taken I will shoot the young 'un and you can then focus on pursing the big boy without fretting over such trivialities as age.

:pray:      :pray:      :pray:      :pray:  

But seriously, if you are seeing bucks of this quality in the area then trophy deer development is not a problem and you should have no qualms about taking such a grand animal---especially if you are doing so with traditional equipment.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©