3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My First Post on Site: Rev. Stacy Groscup Tribute!  (Read 530 times)

Offline Aspirinbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
My First Post on Site: Rev. Stacy Groscup Tribute!
« on: September 08, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
Howdy, this is my first ever post on this website.  I'm glad to be here, and will be happy to answer any questions about instinctive shooting if you simply email me.

Thanks for reading---and good luck this Fall.

Remembering Stacy
     The 4th Anniversary of his passing, September 20, 2005

It's hard to believe that this is the fourth tribute column I've done for the late Rev. Stacy Groscup since his passing September 20, 2005.  Time has flown by and his death now seems more real at times than it used to.  However, I occasionally will still pick up the phone late at night and begin to dial his phone number so we could chat then it hits me that he's gone and I hang up the phone.  I am saddened when I can't share news with him or get his wise counsel.
         We were both birds of feather and rarely sleep.  We typically would not call each other until 11PM or later.  If you called his home any earlier chances are he wouldn't be there anyway.  He was a man on the go.  When you did reach him, that "booming" voice would say, "Well, how you doin'..." You could tell he was genuinely glad to talk with you.  You could see him smiling over the phone, I swear.  
        In my original tribute to Stacy on his passing I compared him to Teddy Roosevelt, one for his energy, two for his knowledge because like TR he knew at least a little about everything, and he was also a man of action.  In his 70's Stacy had the energy and enthusiasm for life of a 20 year old.  He never, ever lost that wonder for life and mankind and he truly loved the earth and those on it.  I have shared the story before that at age 82 Stacy appeared on stage with me and hit an aspirin the 7th shot from mid air with his bow.  Let me repeat that--- he was 82 years old.  Oh, and I missed the pill he hit and I was in my 30's.
       I continue to wear the old tab he made for me in 1990.  It's been through more than 500 exhibitions since that time and I will keep using it until it falls completely apart.  It is a quiet reminder of my old friend.  When they are announcing me to come on stage, the last thing I do before taking the stage is take my wallet out, get the tab and put it on and say a quick prayer as I walk to the mic.  Luckily Stacy made me several of these tabs so that when this one is worn down completely I will have a back up.  This one has lasted 19 years so I should have enough in my drawer for the rest of my shooting career and then I will pass the left over tabs on to my son Gus.
       Our home is filled with reminders of Stacy.  On my desk I have a Groscup bow and a copy of the photo used for his Archery Hall of Fame induction is signed and framed.  Sometimes I will be digging in a drawer at my desk here or at my desk at my parent's retail store and I will come across a treasure---something Stacy had carved or gave me over the years.  I have the 7th arrow he used for his world record shot--- the time he hit seven aspirin tablets in a row without a miss.  Just the thought of Stacy brings a smile to my face and a flood of memories.
       I have went on record as saying I thought Stacy was the most accurate exhibition shooter to ever draw a string.  He did things with a bow and arrow that have never been done, before or after his passing.  Having shared practice ranges, hunting camps and the stage with the man I will attest to his consistency and his accuracy.  Trust me, he was tough to beat.  Stacy on a bad day was a better shot than most on their best day.  
       I mention his name at just about every single exhibition I do and in most media interviews.  He was important to me and like a second father.  He also helped get me started in shooting on stage and I am proud to be considered his protege'.  I am always happy when someone comes up to me at a show or event that knew Stacy or seen his show.  The response is almost always the same--- they say what a great man he was and how they will never forget him.
       I don't want archers to forget this man.  He was a good man and a true hero.  Like Gene Autry, Roy Rogers and the other figures that often seem bigger than life, Stacy was a legend during his lifetime.  He was famous and known from coast to coast.  People from all walks of life called him friend, and meant it.
       Stacy Groscup didn't get rich in archery and didn't own an archery company, didn't produce hunting videos, and didn't really try to do anything other than promote the sport and instinctive shooting.  He was honored as the 49th Inductee into the National Archery Hall of Fame, the West Virginia Bowhunter's Hall of Fame, a Distinguished West Virginian by Governor Cecil Underwood, and honored on the floor of the West Virginia Senate, plus many, many more accolades.  
       Stacy was selfless, humble and a man that truly loved archery, instinctive shooting and his fellow man.  In a day of few role models or true heroes, he fit the bill.  The circle of life rolls on and although his body is gone, his spirit, the lessons he taught, and the love he had for God, life and his fellow man, is seen daily in those of us lucky enough to have been around this great, great man.  As long as air fills my lungs and my heart beats, I will continue to pass along lessons learned from this great man, my friend, Rev. Stacy Groscup.  "Sti-Ute" old friend, we miss you.

That's the latest.  For more info on Stacy, visit a memorial tribute site his grand daughter Shawna has at:
 http://stacylgroscup.memory-of.com/About.aspx       You can also see photos and my original tribute to him at my site,  www.frankaddingtonjr.com  .   If you have photos or memories of Stacy to share, I am sure his family would enjoy you sharing them.  Just drop me an email at [email protected] and I will pass along their contact information.

Until next time, Adios & God Bless.

Shoot Straight,
Frank

Frank Addington, Jr.
The Aspirin Buster
Shoot Straight,
Frank

Offline Aspirinbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My First Post on Site: Rev. Stacy Groscup Tribute!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
If you have a Stacy story, please post it here...
Shoot Straight,
Frank

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
Franks, welcome , I spoke to you several years ago . Over dinner one night Byron ferguson and I talk about the other 2 shooters that could really shoot, Byron said better than me. He had a picture of both of you and he .
  Rev.Stacy, was the man on aerial shooting in my opinion. I loved his natural nature of a man.
  Frank, I can feel the love you had for Rev. Stacy, just like you could always feel his warms smile . Ive read dozens of articles of both of you through the years. What blessing you both have left us. God Bless you , a archers pal, mark   :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
ttt
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
Glad to have you here! Saw Stacy shoot back in the '80s...spoke with him for awhile after the dem. Fine gentleman! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
I only got to see him shoot once. The funny thing of it was as good as he was with the bow, he shot a few aspirin out of the air. He was really impressive with a blowgun. I've never shot one but he really was accurate with it, he shot a dart into a bullseye, a second dart into the first and then a third dart into the second for a double robinhood. I somehow managed to find myself eating lunch with Rev. Groscup, Gene Wensel, Gene Bidlespacher and Myles Keller. He was very nice to me and kept trying to involve me in the coversation even though I really had nothing to ad. He seemed like a great guy.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Frank.  Did you ever get that book going? Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Aspirinbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
Joe
Books basically done, I started it in 2003 and have what I feel is a pretty done book now.  As soon as I slow down now it's time to find a publisher.  I really had a problem telling people how to shoot instinctive, it's such a personal style.  Besides, at it's core it is very simple:  You look at what you want to hit.  So I added some stuff I think people will find interesting such as practice techniques, etc. and also anecdotes about friends like Fred Bear, etc.  I also devote a chapter to Stacy, which I could have done the whole project on Stacy.  What a good man.

Anyway, my wife and I should have a meeting with a publisher soon and then hopefully launch it in 2010.  It's overdue.

Shoot Straight,
Frank
Shoot Straight,
Frank

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
A fine tribute, and as kind a set of words as any of us should ever want uttered about us at the time of our passing.

When a man became conscious of his obligation to others and thus found joy in sharing with others-when man learned that he could impart something of value to others in time of joy and in time of sorrow- when man saw in others his own reflected hopes, ambitions and aspirations, he became One with God.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
My wife and I saw and met Stacy at the Indiana Deer Classic years ago. He was exceptional! My favorites were shooting thru the knot holes of a small plank of wood tossed in the air, the blowgun robinhoods, tried that, nowhere close! Shooting on his stomach, and on and on.

A few years earlier, I had made a some strings for Bob Thompson, and he had requested a couple for Stacy. I had heard of him, but that was it. Oh and I remembered I noticed Stacy was using Graphlex shafts for his flu-flus, and told him I had a supplier with many more if needed. He thanked me for the info. Memories you never forget! Thanks for sharing Frank, and Good shootin to you! Steve

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing a great tribute..
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline deertraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
Welcome Frank,
I know your Dad and have been to the shop different times. I watched Stacy shoot one time and was amazed. Thank you for sharing that with us.
Dave
Phil. 2:6-11

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »
The first time i saw him was at the ohio county traditional rendivue by wheeling Wv 1987 or 1988.Couldnt believe that he was crushing every target thrown into the air.Had to order a zipper after that .Still to this day i still cant believe what i saw him do with a stick and string.And he was very polite and talked to every young man he could.He was a great loss to this world.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
Hi All,

I saw Stacy shoot several times, and had the opportunity to spend an afternoon with him at his home.  I wanted to know how to make an authentic bear claw necklace, and he was willing to teach me how.  At the end of one of his exhibitions he would say "Stee-ute", a Cherokee word meaning to be strong physically, socially, and morally.  I have the word written on the chalk board in my high school classroom, and every semester went the new kids arrive, I find a few minutes to talk about Stacy, and encourage my students to be Stee-ute!
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline Aspirinbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
Thanks for everyone's rembrances of Stacy.  He often talked about the circle of life... and the fact that he is gone yet his life and teaching cointinues to impact many of us--- including Teacher's classes.

Sti-ute.
Shoot Straight,
Frank

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©