3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New York Mast Crop-WOW  (Read 644 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
New York Mast Crop-WOW
« on: September 08, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
Went hunting with Adk-Ken on Sunday and stumping with some friends today. Same basic area, I was amazed at the acorns and beech nuts that are all ready on the ground. I have'nt seen this amount in years... Has anybody else seen good mast this year. Looks to be a good season if you can find where they are feeding...which could be anywhere with this many nuts. Oh yea, me and Ken both missed shots at tree rats....but we had fun!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New York Mast Crop-WOW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
I saw lots of Acorns and Hickory nuts when I was out yesterday.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
Around here, the acorn crop is real good, but the apples are even better. Lots of food!
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
This will be a bumper acorn crop in California. The trees are already starting to drop some.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
in 4F, apples are iffy--the occasional tree is loaded so if you can find one, it's a good bet you'll find some deer; acorns (red oak) are about average. Don't know about the beechnuts or white oaks yet.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
Thankfully the Acorns are back this year. Last year, probably because of the heavy rain in May the oaks didn't produce acorns on long island. All the deer were hanging out by the farms where I don't have permission to hunt and i saw only 3 deer all season. Normally I'm covered up with acorns and does. Went out to hang a couple of stands and do my final scouting and saw the oaks had some nice acorns. With any luck I'll get some does for the freezer since I've been out of venison for 6 months.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
Apples are 1/3 of what they were last year up here.Terrible crop IMO.Last year was the largest apple crop I've ever seen.Hickory nuts are ALL over though.Haven't seen much of any acorns on the ground yet.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
Don't have to look too far ta find alot of nuts around here!  ;)

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline macster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
Acorns are almost non-existant for the second year in a row around here, apples too. Last year apples were the best I have ever seen, but a real late frost hurt us here. Three years ago, we had white oak acorns by the millions.

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
Been finding all types of feed. The oaks are really producing good in my area. Leaves are even starting to change wont be much longer!
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Here in the N.E. corner of Ohio it is the best acorn crop in about 5 years, however I was in the extreme southern part of the state last week and there were very few.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
Red oak acorns, beech and some apples.My food plot came in all rye grass so I moved a couple of stands closer to the beech corridors.They dont seem to be falling heavy but there were zero the last 2 years.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
seems to be more bear sign then i can remember in a LONG while. keep in mind i only hunt aboput a 5 mile acre of side ridge and it is plasterd with poop, sign and tracks. funny thing is i do NOT want to shoot another bear HOEVER i would be more then happy to put someone on one of i can, gut and drag with a smile!!!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
Speaking of "nut crops" I wanted to mention Gene and I will be doing the "Whitetail Summit" sports show at the Adirondack Sports Complex in Queensbury, NY (near Albany area) this weekend, 9/11-13th. If anyone's in the neighborhood stop on by and say hello. BW

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
Barry ya GOT TO BE kidding me!!!!!!!! I HAVE A big END OF SUMMER PARTY AT MY HOUSE ON THIS DATE, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
Good acorn crop and tons of apples in 3F as well.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
The sports show is three days long. Surely your party won't be three days will it? Sneak out.. the girls won't even miss you. :^) bw

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
lol, your right won't last 3 bit WILL last 2 and the third day is to recoop!!!! do you ever hunt NY?

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
The acorns are heavy here this year. Apples, crabapples, pears and other soft mast doing well too. Actually had a doe and two small bucks munching early drop apples in the yard today.

Ken, yep, bears are active here too! Ruined a bird feeder on me two nights ago and broke some branches in the orchard.

My favorite stand is surrounded by five large white oaks.....and they are all heavy with acorns.  :jumper:    :jumper:  

I was actually thinking about trying to go to that show...any other locals going?
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline No-sage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
All the beech nuts I've checked out were all empty shells.  There are plenty of empty husks and empty nut shells on the ground, but no real nuts that I've found.

I'll be in the Adirondaks this weekend cutting wood for the 2011 hunting season, so I'll be able to check the beech ridges around camp.  No oak trees in these parts of the Adirondaks and in the 20 years we've been here, we've found one apple tree.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©