3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for the ILF crowd...  (Read 661 times)

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
Question for the ILF crowd...
« on: September 08, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
I'm looking at a 15" ILF riser, and had a question about the poundage gain between longer and shorter limbs on a short riser.

Let's use this as an example:  Let's say I mount up short 35# limbs, making a 56" bow on this riser and they end up scaling 45#@28".  I then install medium 35# limbs, making a 58" on the same riser - would they also end up scaling 45#28", or would they scale more/less due to the different length?
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for the ILF crowd...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
If they are the same brand and model they should be about the same.  Usually riser length is what changes the poundage.  With most ILF risers there is also an adjustment of a few pounds.  Just beware, different limbs feel different in their draw cycle and they are not always accurate for the poundage listed.  Some makes traditionally run heavier than marked.  Good luck!

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
Most of the ILF limbs (but not all now) list the draw weight on a 25" riser

shorts 35#
make a 66" bow on a 25" riser 35#, 23" riser 64" bow 37#, 21" riser 62" bow 39#, 19" riser 60" bow 41#.........

mediums 35#
make a 68" on a 25" riser 35#, 23" riser 66" bow 37#......

answer yes (maybe, but some ILF limbs are weighed at differnt limb bolt preloads (Max out, half way out or down tight max????? ya don't know for sure)

some of the ILF limbs now available are wieghed on shorter risers than 25". best to have chat with the riser bowery

rusty

Offline Talco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
If the limbs are of the same make they should be the same poundage.If you put the same limb on a longer riser say 17" you could expect a decreas of 2-3 lb in draw weight.Just the oposit on a shorter riser.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »
All depends on who made the riser.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
Think of the limb bolts as draw length adjustment, rather than draw weight. Shorter draws can have then in tighter without getting stack, and longer draws back them out to avoid stacking and both can have the same weight at their draw, without having 4 pounds weight gain per inch.
2#/inch is a nice feeling. If you want more weight get heavier limbs.
 The limb length's are also made with draw length in mind, to allow us to have an optimum draw at our draw length. Short limbs on a 17" riser drawn to 30" is asking for trouble with the bolts backed out, turned in it is realy asking for trouble.

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 04:47:00 AM »
I agree with Pete.Turning the bolts to get the right feel at your draw length is the best function of ilf risers.Unless you got a real short draw length a 15" riser is too short for anything but long limbs.Even with a 17" riser I don't want anything but long limbs and I draw less than 28". jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
Thanks for all the info so far, guys.  I'm looking at the new Tradtech Black Onyx (Recon) riser with some of the new Black Max wood/glass limbs.  My draw hovers around 27" somewhere, but I'm still kinda leaning towards the medium limbs, which would give me a 58" bow.  I've been shooting a 58" ACS for a while now and don't have probs with it, and I figure the medium limbs will be a tad faster at any given draw than the shorts.  Thing is, I'm not an NBA player by any stretch of the imagination and bows above 60" start to give me some grief as far as mauverability goes.

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
Big AL:

I am shooting nearly the exact set up you described. I'm shooting a 15" Black Onyx riser w/ 50# medium Black Max carbon limbs, making a 58" bow that draws around 52# @ 28" with the limbs bottomed out. I was hoping to get 55# pounds out of this set up, but there is no way I can get that much weight out of these limbs.

That said, I'm glad it worked out the way it did. This set up shoots like a dream! I'm not a speed freak, but wanted to get all I could from this bow as I was considering it for an upcoming elk hunt. At this point I have no worries. Pulling 50# at my 27" draw, it is shooting a 540 grain carbon arrow 184 FPS.

I've pulled the limbs way beyond 27" and have yet to find any discernable stack.

Best of luck.

Ron
Your Forest, Your Bow, Your Adventure!

www.yourlifecyclegear.com

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Pics of the Black Onyx please
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
I would like to hear more about the Black Onyx and Recon riser's.  I may have to try one of them.  How do they feel in the hand?  How is the grip?

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
I just got the Onyx with 45# Medium  Black Max limbs.The are rated on the 17" riser at 45 so I expect to see about 50 on the 15" riser.
I may be mistaken as I did not receive a manual, but the limb bolts should be no tighter than 2 turns out from the bottom and a max of 5 turns out like the Titan calls for.At 2 turns out from the bottom and a 27" draw they are very pleasant to shoot. It makes for a very nice shooting bow.

Pete
Onyx

Recon

Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
Pete,

Thanks for the information about limb angle adjustment. I'm relatively knew to ILF bows and wasn't aware of the "2-turns rule of thumb."

I wanted maximum weight, so the way I adjusted mine was to turn the limb bolts until they just bottomed out and then I backed off 1/4 turn.

The bow shot perfectly right off the bat so I didn't even mess with other settings. I don't want to cause any damage, so tonight I'll try backing the bolts out 2 turns to see what happens.

Ron

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
anyone have a pic of that onyx riser strung up? I'd like to see it braced if possible
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
ttt

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
I am very interested in this riser also.  If anyone has a full bow pic that would be nice to see.  I have no ILF experience, say I want some 45# @ 28 limbs on this 15" riser.  Then from what I have read some 25# on a 25 in riser would be close.  Is that correct?

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
I think 35# would be right????? Isn't it about one pound per inch of riser length?
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline NYRON

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • LifeCycle Gear
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
I'm relatively new at this ILF stuff too, so you ILF vetrans jump in and tell me if I'm wrong.

Prairie Drifter is correct. Limb weight tends to increase about 1 pound for each 1" decrease in riser length. The tricky part is that not all limbs are marked for a 25" riser. For example, most TradTech limbs are marked for the 17" Titan riser, so putting those limbs on a 15" Black Onyx would only increase the weight by 2 pounds over the marked weight. Making things even more confusing, some TradTech limbs are marked for the 19" Pinnacle riser.

I think the best advice is to make sure you know what length riser the limb weight was rated for and then add or substract roughly 1 pound for each 1" deviation in riser length.

Ron

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
Alright I thought it was 2 lbs per inch

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
I just got an e-mail from Lee Vivian today.  They slapped some limbs on the Recon riser and it turns out, you're not gaining much poundage at all, if any.  He said that the 45# limbs will scale 46-47# when they're cranked all the way down, but they do not reccomend cranking them all the way down because it is hard on the limb butts.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©