3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many older traditional shooters here  (Read 4265 times)

Offline bullet-slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
How many older traditional shooters here
« on: September 08, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
How many older traditional shooters here

I’m curious how many traditional shooters are here that are a half century old or older? I’ll be 59 the 14th of this month.

Things have sure changed in the last 45 – 50 years I’ve been shooting bows. I’m also curious what all you other old goobers are shooting? Recurve, longbow and weight at your draw length?

54 and 61 lb black widow takedown recurve bows here. I should have a new 50 lb Howard Hill Wesley Special delivered by Friday this week.

Let’s hear from all you other old shooters.  :thumbsup:  

Ken
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Eccl 5:15 As he came from his mother's womb, naked shall he return, To go as he came; And he shall take nothing from his labor Which he may carry away in his hand.
NKJV

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many older traditional shooters here
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
What's with this "old" 2$1!?

Killdeer   :wavey:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
Ken
I don't think of myself old at 62  :saywhat:  But I shoot a 64" 54# long bow. Been shooting bows for 30 years trad. and compounds, last 15 years long bows, recruves.  :thumbsup:
Larry

Offline bullet-slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
What's with this "old" 2$1!?

Killdeer    :wavey:  
Killdeer, it's ok Sis, I realize ladies don't like to give there age.  But,I just looked at your pic on your profile.  If your a half a century old you have some special water I would like to have.

Eccl 5:15 As he came from his mother's womb, naked shall he return, To go as he came; And he shall take nothing from his labor Which he may carry away in his hand.
NKJV

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
p1$$ on that, I'm 53.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline bullet-slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by redant 60/65:
Ken
I don't think of myself old at 62   :saywhat:   But I shoot a 64" 54# long bow. Been shooting bows for 30 years trad. and compounds, last 15 years long bows, recruves.   :thumbsup:  
Larry, awesome!  archery has sure changed over the years hasn't it.  I can remember, as you can when there was no compound bows.  So many great bowyers from 30 years ago are no longer in business or alive.

What kind of longbow are you shooting?

NKJV

Offline bullet-slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
p1$$ on that, I'm 53.

Killdeer
I want some of your water.  Your a very young lookin 53 Sis.  Love the pic at your profile too.

What kind bow are you shooting?

NKJV

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
I will be 63 in a couple of months. I don't feel old and I hope I don't act old.

I have always shot traditional except for a one or two season sidestep in the early 1970's.

Things have sure changed. I remember when you could not find a leather back quiver or arm guard. Very few places to build you a bow compared to what there is now.

I am thrilled to see so many new shooters, young and old, embrace traditional.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
According to Bentpole and Team Pink...I'm 57 going on 25....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
62 here . I got my first trad bow at age 5.It was a hickory stick with a red and white string. Never did get a jackrabbit with that bow but it wasn't from lack of trying.  :bigsmyl:  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
I'm 54 and currently shoot a variety of recurves and longbows in the 60-65 pound range, Morrisons, Acadian Woods, plus an old 55 Bear Kodiak Special I'm fond of that was made the year I was born.
Gary Logsdon

Offline bullet-slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by frankwright:
I will be 63 in a couple of months. I don't feel old and I hope I don't act old.

I have always shot traditional except for a one or two season sidestep in the early 1970's.

Things have sure changed. I remember when you could not find a leather back quiver or arm guard. Very few places to build you a bow compared to what there is now.

I am thrilled to see so many new shooters, young and old, embrace traditional.
SO what are ya shooting young fellah???

NKJV

Offline twotimer

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
i'm 59 also,been doing it off and on,50 or 51 years,never shot a compound,hope to someday.shot a hickory selfbow in my youth with stone heads,dfifting back thay way again.they say,what go's around,come's around.  :campfire:    :archer:    :coffee:
'TGMM FAMILY of THE BOW"at 211 degrees water is hot.at 212 it boils and cause's steam,which can run a locomotive.is it worth that one extra ounce of effort to finish first,the difference between good and great?

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
I turned 67 last June. Have always shot traditional bows since getting into archery in 1970. I started with recurves and still shoot them but my favorite bows are my longbows. I have dropped down in weight now and shoot 59 Lbs @28" draw. Although that is my hunting bow. Most of the time the bows are 54Lbs @28"draw.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
I'll turn 60 November. Shot traditional in grade school until my early 20's and drifted away. Started shooting again in my 40's and went to compounds for a couple of years. Back to trad only the past 12 yrs.
But I didn't know what trad was really all about until I stumbled onto this sight about 3 yrs ago.
I would have to say that it not only changed my attitude, but my way of life.
Softened my heart a bit, and strengthened my mind.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »
58 last March. Hunt Hills exclusively both my 82# & 71#. The 71# is 2" longer at 70" & smoother. Old guys (d)rool!
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
56 at the end of this month. Been shooting a bow since I was 8. Legally hunting since I was 12. This year shooting Jim Jones' Firefly TD longbow, 58# @ 29". Hopefully break it in tomorrow, (opening day). Brain tells me I'm 17, body says otherwise. Hope I have another 20 left.
Good Luck to all you "old timers"!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 11:50:00 PM »
I'll turn 57 as this bowseason ends in January. Been shooting a bow for 39yrs this year, all traditional 'cept for a couple years back in the mid '70s,(there is a story there). I shoot a longbow of my own manufacture 64#@27" most of the time, as I have for the last 16yrs. Also a older Bighorn recurve 60@27 and a couple of Bear takedowns in the 50-60# range.

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
I recently had my 61st birthday....still have the 15# Pearson Power Jet I got when I was 8.
I shoot mostly recurves, but do have several longbows.
Most of my bows are around 55#s, but I still have the first TD bow I ever bought....65# TD Redwing Hunter.
Being old is a state of mind, and you're only as old as you let yourself think you are.
I still hunt from loc-on type stands 16-18' high.
My hunting podna is 74 years young and climbs a tree like a cat squirrel.
I break, start, train, and sell 3 or 4 colts every year....sit around on your butt all the time and you will get OLD in a hurry.

Offline bullet-slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
Man, I'm glad There seems to be a bunch of people here that's been shooting traditional a while.

Did any of you get caught up in the heavy bow thing in 70s and 80s?  I did.  I hunted several years with a 100 lb big five longbow and used to shoot a 110 lb big five to stay in shape.

I have some problems with my left elbo that I believe is directly connected to my ignorant heavy bow days.  I did have fun though and managed to kill a P & Y buck with the 100 lb bow that the Howard Hill company used a pic of in the 80s for advertisement.

NKJV

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©