3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many older traditional shooters here  (Read 4274 times)

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many older traditional shooters here
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2009, 06:28:00 AM »
51  :coffee:
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Offline larryh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: September 10, 2009, 01:15:00 PM »
be 75 in november. still running cows, bale 500-550 tons of hay a year, change 1 mile of 40' handlines all summer, still kill stuff with a bow.

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
Sneaking up on the big 60 way to soon but hey its still just as much fun as it ever was. 63#centaur
56# knati,60# palmer.
Working with the Knati hope to kill a few deer with it this fall.

Offline Clay Hills Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: September 10, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
I am 56.  Shot a recurve through my teens, then swithched to a compound.

Came back to traditional in 2004 and shoot a Bob Lee Classic recurve, 46#@25" and two super shrew deluxes that are 41#@25" and 43#@25" with cedar arrows.  I like the lighter draw weights at this stage of the game, especially in cold weather. I can hold at full draw a good while and try to calm my knocking knees when a deer is coming in.

Still get excited after all these years.
Clay Hills Bill

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: September 10, 2009, 02:52:00 PM »
I'm glad to see you old farts are still limping around. It gives us young guys hope for the future. I'll only be 57 in December. The really strange thing is, I can do more pushups and chinups than when I was 20. I'm getting stronger I tell ya.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline TRB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: September 10, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
56 in December. My Father turned 93 this last July.
Grayling Bear Kodiak Hunter 55 #
Palmer Recurve 53 #
Hornes Longbow 55 #

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: September 10, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
I'm 55 and stuck in a wheelchair. Actualy started traditional after I got stuck in this stinken chair   :banghead:    :banghead:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: September 10, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by bullet-slinger:

Originally posted by frankwright:
I will be 63 in a couple of months. I don't feel old and I hope I don't act old.

I have always shot traditional except for a one or two season sidestep in the early 1970's.

Things have sure changed. I remember when you could not find a leather back quiver or arm guard. Very few places to build you a bow compared to what there is now.

I am thrilled to see so many new shooters, young and old, embrace traditional.
SO what are ya shooting young fellah??? [/b]
HH Cheetah and Wesley, G&L Longbow, Homemade Osage Longbow and a hatchet selfbow.

Offline cedar swampman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: September 10, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
I am 52 and have been shooting bows for 42 years. In the stable right now- Fedora Xtreme longbow, Wing gull and a Bear Super Mag "48". I have a Pronghorn coming in a trade and a Belcher Patriot/SSR limbed recurve on order. Archery is a way of life for me.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
I'll turn 60 in October. I'mm beginning to feel it a litle bit but still am able to pull the bow and climb in the stand. Have to be sure to always wear a safety harness, though, because I sometimes doze off right after the sun comes up.I shoot a 65# Wesley Special from Howard Hill most of the time. I also use a Deathwish by Steve welte at 59#. Occasionally, I still take out the Bamboo Longhunter at 78#, but it sure takes longer to get conditioned to handle it than it did a few years ago.
Sam

Offline deepwoods

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
I have been shooting traditional for more than 50 years. At 62 I draw 62# on an Old Ben 5000.
Things have really changed. Mostly I notice how little the basics have changed.
Wood, string, feathers and walking in the woods

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
I'm 63 and heading out tomorrow to elk hunt in Montana.  I got hung up in the heavy longbows back in the 70's...used to hunt an 80# bow.  Now 53# @ 28 with 28" draw works just as well.  Shoot at least 5 days a week if there isn't a fly rod in my hand...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
58 in a  couple of weeks, Osage self bow, don't know the poundage but it'll do.

Offline TC in Spfld

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
She said, "You're 60?????  Boy are you well preserved"!

Offline Doug in MN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
56, I have been shooting for a bit I have had a Longbow of some kind since I was 14. That was the first bow that was mine, used to shoot dads before that.

All my bows now are in the 45-55# Range now, except one, and that one is not much heavier a 61# Pronghorn.

D

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
64 and firmly devoted to the principle that I may have to grow older, but I don't have to grow up.  Bows range from 40# to 50#.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bowjangle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
I'll be 68 in a few months. Have shot longbows and recurves both a lot and in competition. Also killed a few deer and hogs, but I'm short on patience and not a great hunter.  I keep coming back to longbows even tho I can always score better in competition with a recurve. Something about a longbow I just love - tho recurves can be beautiful to behold.  Now, I shoot about 52 lbs  tho I can pull a lot more,but I don't want shoulder trouble that is so common to those who pull the heavier weight too long.
 Some of my favorites now are my Ballistic longbow (bamboo),and Dwyer (really sweet)- two very different types. I have too many bows and like a bunch more I don't have time to shoot such as my Assenheimer (sp?)recurve that is super sweet, 2 Ballistic recurves and even a few  great self bows such as a VinsonMinor all bamboo "Bow Of Wood" - really smooth,(where did he go?), and a Saluki- the older classic type they quit making.
 I used to compete but quit cause I can't beat the younger guys!! Some days I have it and shoot great and other times I don't have it at all, but I mostly do okay and can still kill a deer! I'm wondering how long I can keep shooting. I don't see anybody yet older than me answer here and that's not so good!!! I plan to keep shooting til they carry me off.

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
Like some of the older bow hunters here Mobydick was still a minnow when I started shooting a bow. I’ll turn 68 next March and that will make 59 years behind the bow
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline huntingwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »
I will be 53 in December Shooting a Black Widow 55 lbs @ 28 inches Hope to shot after that whats left

Offline huntingwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »
I will be 53 in December Shooting a Black Widow 55 lbs @ 28 inches Hope to shot as long as I can after that whats left

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©