3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many older traditional shooters here  (Read 4268 times)

Offline redant 60/65

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many older traditional shooters here
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
Good for you Jack! I hope to be shooting when I'm 80   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Larry

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
I'll be 52 October 13th. I am currently shooting my 64", 62#, Border Griffon longbow.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
Keep on shooting Jack.  I'm 65 and shoot recurves between 45 and 50#.  Started as a boy in 1955 with a Ben Pearson lemonwood longbow.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
51 here.  I feel like a pup compared to some of you guys.

I'm shooting a Martin Savanah at 50 pounds and a Bingham Projects Take-Down Longbow (the first one I made) that is 55 pounds.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
53 in December.  My go to bow is a Shrew Classic Hunter @ 70 pounds.  Have been hunting with traditional equipment for 12 years.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
Jack,

Shooting 40# at 80 - Lead on, Sir.  We're following you, hopin' to keep up.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: September 22, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
I just saw this thread and had a chance to read through it. I found this very interesting to say the least. I turn 65 in a couple weeks and tell everyone I feel fine but just look like s***. Being realistic, my joints sometimes hurt but I think mostly it's because of high mileage. I've always shot heavier weights until I broke my left shoulder in the mid 1980's. Then dropped back to low 60's until I healed. Then went back to the 70 lb range until the mid 1990s. In the late '90s I dropped back to the mid-low 60 lb. range. Then in 2001 I severely broke my right arm and needed a dozen screws and a couple plates to fix it. Therefore I kept in the low 60 lb. range. Then in 2007 I "inherited" one of Paul Schafer's own personal bows that is marked at 70 lbs. but everyone seems to think it's a little heavier. I find my arm hurts after shooting only a dozen arrows at a time whether I'm shooting 56 lbs. or 70 lbs. So I practice just a few shots at a time such as roving/stump shooting, plus limit my shot distances. In fact, I passed up a solid B&C whitetail standing broadside at 28 yds. two years ago because I didn't feel comfortable at that range. Then in the spring of 2008 I started hunting with Paul's old bow. I killed three big bucks with it last year and plan on hunting mostly with it again this fall. I just like the flat trajectory and blasting through stuff again. I think a lot of it is likely psychological but I have a lot more confidence in the heavier poundage and flatter shooting arrows. I guess I'm weird but I think I'll continue to shoot the heavier weights and limit my shots until I feel I can't handle them ethically anymore. Best of luck to all. BW

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: September 22, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Great thread, good to see our leaders and their equipment.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: September 22, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
I am 50 and have been shooting bows for about half that time. I never considered myself as "older" or even semi mature until we were blessed with two granddaughters last winter!

I shoot recurves and longbows in the mid 40's every day if I can. I hunt the local whitetails, killed a couple javelina in Texas, and have recently discovered hog hunting at Ray's. But my passion was and always will be bowhunting groundhogs!

Dave
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: September 22, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
I will be 68 come Christmas eve. Shooting bows has been a lifetime enjoyment and I will continue as long as I am able. Used to shoot bows in the 65 to 70 pound range, now have dropped down to 59 to 62 pounds. I have been pretty heavy for most of my life and it is taking a toll on my back and knees.  Still do a Colorado elk hunt every year but the mountains get a little steeper each time. I still look forward to every season and will be after our Illinois whitetails in a few days
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline kevin yacuzzo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: September 22, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
Decades seem to go by like seasons used to. I will be 50 this year. It did not seem to be a big deal until I noticed the generation ahead of me not doing the things we used to do with ease. I have shot stick and string for 20 years and went to longbows 5 years ago. Nice and light, just a pleasure to hold and shoot. My wife (God bless her) urged me to not wait any longer to go to Alaska. I went with a great friend 10 years older than I, and tough as nails. I'll never forget the hunt. I plan on throwing arrows every day for a long, long time.

Kevin

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
I'm a young 62. Will be hunting with a 57@28   HH "Longbowman's Choice" this season. You'll love your new HH "Wesley Special". Great bows. Real killing machines.

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »
I'm 43 all my longbows are from 54 to 57#

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: September 22, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
I will be 55 next birthday. Been shooting arrows since I was around 8 or so.    I have an 83# Big River longbow.   Course. . .   I can't pull it.

I tend to shoot from 55 - 70 pounds, longbows and recurves.
ChuckC

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: September 22, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »
53 next week and shoot

62" 53# @30" PSA V
60" 56# @30" PMA X
64" 54# @30" ACS/CX
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: September 22, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
I'm 65 (almost 66) and begain shooting in about 1953. When I went into the service I quit shooting for 30 years, but once the kids were grown I started all over again. As a highlight, I won the Denton Hill Eagle Eye last year at the age of 64. I shoot a variety of bows in the 45-50 # range  
Way to go 2fletch.  Quite the accomplishment.

One more thing.  Most of the guys I hang out with in archery are 15-20 years younger than me but when we shoot or just hang out age doesn't seem to matter much.  We are all just fellow archers.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Richard in OK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: September 22, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
65 next month. Been shooting since the early 80s, hunting for the past 7 or 8 years. Shoot a Widow PSR 50# @ 28, Martin X200 50# @ 28, and a longbow 46# @ 28. I'm still going strong, but putting my 75# canoe on the truck the other night d#$n near killed me. I need to start lifting weights again.

Offline Tioga

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: September 22, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
I'm 52 and started out with a Damon Howatt in the early 70s and went on to shoot a compound until 2002 when I suffered a back injury. Hunted with a crossbow from 2002 until 2004. In 2005 I was finally able to pull a real bow back without a whole lotta pain in the back and neck, and bought my Allegheny Mountain Bow and never looked back. If I never kill another deer again in my life I don't care. Just carrying that bow brings me back to my days of missing deer with that Damon Howatt and of much more peaceful and simpler times.  :)
Alleghenny Mtn Bow 48@27
Gold Tips
Wensel Woodsmen

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: September 22, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
Hell Im still youngster...54.. :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter