3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many older traditional shooters here  (Read 4280 times)

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many older traditional shooters here
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
61 in a couple of months and looking forward to 62 and being able to retire and getting out of the kitchen.Would like to find a hunting partner about 25 with a strong back...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »
I'm 58 now and comfortably shooting low to mid 50's.  Had a bow in my hand since I was a kid and bought my first real bow, a Shakespeare Necedah (still have it), in my teens.  Never owned a coumpound and pretty much shoot longbows now.   :archer:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
62 yrs. young, started shooting in 1956 with a 20# all glass recurve. every kind of bow since, but leaning more toward longbows now in the 50# range.

Offline muley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
Just turned 69, shot my 1st deer in in 1973 with a Red wing hunter,now I`am between wheels and 45# recurves thats all I can handle,
Independent Bow Hunter

Offline NancyVTAS

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
I'll be 64 in november-neverowned wheels, although I shot 2 arrows out of one in 1973. Started shooting around 1954 in scouts.   52# 1956 Kodiak, and 1953 bear longbow at 55#.

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
I turned 55 last month, I have been shooting since I was 8 years old. I have to admit that I did shoot compound for quite a few years. Then back in the 80's I switched back to shooting a recurve until I missed several deer one season, then I went back to my compound.  
 :knothead:  
A little over 1-1/2 years ago I switched back to traditional. So I guess you could say I have been around the block? Twice!
I am back to really enjoying archery again and have made many new friends since attending the Comptons shoot and the PBS odd year gathering. I have the addiction and now have a whole rack full of traditional bows to shoot......you got to love it!    :archer:
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
I'm 62 and shooting more 53-56# longbows than recurves these days.  Started off in High School with a green fiberglass Paul Bunyon.  Bought a wing gull when I came back from overseas in '68 and still have it.  Waiting on my latest Dick Robertson longbow that is cutting it awful close to our archery season.  Haven't gun hunted since '86 and just love this traditional archery.  Thanks...................Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
I'm 57...that aint old. My dad is 85. Thats old !!

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
I'm a year older than Killdeer but haven't held up nearly as well as she has.

Made bows from trees in the woods as a kid, bought my first "real" bow in college, a Bear 76'er. Been shootin' recurves ever since. Man, the past 30 years just flew by!
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline bozara

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
62 years old.  Shoot Dale Dye recurves: 58#, 62# 65#.
65# @ 27" Dale Dye one piece recurve
62# @ 27" Dale Dye TD recurve
58# @ 27" Dale Dye Medicine Point RC
65# Montana Bow Works long bow

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
I'll be 56 in November, but like most of you don't consider myself "an old goober"!  Then again, I'm not pulling the weight you guys are either.  I guess I need to start working out more.  I stay in the 43# -  #48 range on a mix of recurves and longbows that I shoot.  Like two of you have mentioned, I still have the 50-# Shakespeare Necedah that I took my first deer with in '68.  My go to bow now though is a takedown recurve my dad made me about 35 years ago.  I confess I did the wheelie thing for a number of years, but switched back to trad about 3 years ago.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
Still waiting for the Wensels to check in on this one.  I know they're a couple of old farts:^)
Gary Logsdon

Offline jbuck9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
61 years old, been shooting since I was 6 with an old green fiberglas bear , now my grandson has it in his collection, up till I was 50 I shot a 61# widow, and a 66# bob lee, and a 74# hill style longbow, now after open heart, and bad discs in the neck, I shoot a 50# widow,' and a 54 # great northern bushbow, season opens in 3 weeks here in pa. and Iam still like a kid can't wait, You all have a geat and safe season, Jbuck

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
Older than what?....dirt?....well not yet! Oct.1 they say I'll be 58yrs old. As long as I don't look in a mirror I still say I am under 30! Never enjoyed hunting more now that my weapon of choice is a 55# recurve. I made my first recurve this year. It came in at 63# and I can shoot pretty well...a few times. It will not be a bow that I can shoot 100 times in a row. I also have a 2 yr old grandson who will be coming along into archery...a lot to look forward to!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
I'm 70 !

Offline jerry womble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
I'll be 71 in Dec. Started out at 6 yrs and been hunting
since I was 12. I shoot recurves and longbows in the 48#
to 55# range. It has been a great 64 years with the bow.

Offline bullet-slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by doctari:
Ken, I will be 52 on the 14th of September. I will be leaving for the Rocky Mountains of Montana on the 20th for some Black Bear hunting. I will be hunting with a great friend and we are going to try calling them in. I shoot a 67# longbow and 65# recurve, both are BearsPaw bows made by Neil Jacobson in Montana. Neil wants me to go to Elk camp with him to help pack out meat, will see!    :campfire:  
Wow Doc, we have the same birthday.  Hey good luck on your hunt.  STick a really nice one and show the yougens how it"s done..
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Eccl 5:15 As he came from his mother's womb, naked shall he return, To go as he came; And he shall take nothing from his labor Which he may carry away in his hand.
NKJV

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
Turned 63 on the 30th of August. I have come to prefer longbows, but backed into a corner I'd have to say that I like R/D longbows best.

Don't hunt anymore, but best of luck this fall to those who do.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline bullet-slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gary Logsdon:
Still waiting for the Wensels to check in on this one.  I know they're a couple of old farts:^)
Amen!  those two guy's been around a while.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Eccl 5:15 As he came from his mother's womb, naked shall he return, To go as he came; And he shall take nothing from his labor Which he may carry away in his hand.
NKJV

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »
i will be 56 this month and know i am closer to sunset than sunrise now, even though i still feel like Peter Pan.  i started shooting around 1968 or 69...shot intramural archery at UGA in Athens, Georgia.  Dan Quillian helped us out with some of our "stuff", and a guy named Garth Fuller (i think was his last name) had a shop in his house in Athens.  Several of us would hang out and shoot targets (and the breeze) in the afternoons.  i shot a 55lb bow..started out with a Bear and changed over to an American Archery Cheetah Special.  Garth was built like a fireplug and shot bows in the 75lb to 90lb range. i currently shoot between 45 & 51 lbs, and my dream is to go on an elk hunt before i'm too old to get around.  Good thread..thanks.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©