3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many older traditional shooters here  (Read 4279 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many older traditional shooters here
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
73 last March. I started shooting bows'n arraws when I was 5 years old. Won my first archery award at summer camp in 1947 at the age of 11 shooting a wood longbow.

I started bow hunting for deer in 1955. I've always shot traditional, never owned a compound. Currently shooting Shrew longbows in the 55# range

The score written on the back was 189 points

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »
Turned 57 in June, been shooting bows on and off since 1964-65. Currently got a bunch of different bows, longbows and recurves. My body likes 40-50 pounds to shoot on a regular routine. I can do 55-57 but I suffer for it the next day. Been retierd 2 years in October, have tried to shoot everyday since I left work. Except for a few days in the winter I have almost pulled it off...lol
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
I will be 59 years young on Nov 3. Been shooting longbows and recurves since I was a teenager. My current go to bow is my 62",64# Brackenbury Quest. I shot heavy longbows for many years,72-80#, dropped down a few years ago and switched to recurves. I can still pull and hold a heavy bow but cannot control my shot so 64# is now my heavy bow. Got a rack full of bows and love them all.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
I'm 65 (almost 66) and begain shooting in about 1953. When I went into the service I quit shooting for 30 years, but once the kids were grown I started all over again. As a highlight, I won the Denton Hill Eagle Eye last year at the age of 64. I shoot a variety of bows in the 45-50 # range.

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
I'm a young buck at 46 so not much to add other then this is a fun thread to read and learn from. Ive been shooting and hunting trad for a whole 2yrs now!  :)
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »
I turned 52 this year.  Hanging a Loc-on on monday my knees reminded me.  Currently hunting with a Schafer longbow 55@29.  Playing with bows all my life.  So many bows... so little time.  Anyway look forward to the next 50 years....  :saywhat:
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
61 now, started shooting when I was twelve, seriously shooting and hunting at 16. I shoot primarily Bear T/D's 55-65# but have always shot traditional even though I've owned a couple compounds. Leaving for Montana for my 25th Elk hunt friday.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
I'm 57 and shoot a crowcreek longbow  64"    48lbs.  I shot recurves from 1962 until this year and decided I would try a longbow, had always wanted to just never did. Wish I had done it sooner, I love shooting it.   Happy Hunting
bolong

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
I am 61 and have been shooting a recurve for over 35 yrs.  Still drawing 70# bow as I always have.  Actually only have owned 2 bows in my life and still shooting the 2nd one.  Still chasing elk, deer, moose, turkey, javelina, etc. every year.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
55 and still lovin' life. Shooting a Bob Anderson Zipper Extreme mainly... 55# @28 but I only draw about 27".

Began shooting a fiberglass longbow at 12 years of age and switched to compounds when they first showed up (about 1971???). Have always shot "instinctively" and have been trad only for about 11 years now. Lost track of bow deer kills at about 50... (number of deer, not age).

Enjoying the thread.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
58. Still chasing elk; deer; bears: and able to outrun women with children and active ovaries.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
I'll be 65 this month. Feel like 35 in my head. Body acts like 75.
I shoot longbows and recurves that are 49-51# @ 30".
Not so hot Hap

Offline ridge runner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
almost 51 and the guy looking out doesn't look like the fella looking back, still shooting low to mid 60#s ,and still love watching an arrow arc through the air

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
I am 63 years old and shoot both a 60# Hunter recurve and a 55# 64" longbow. Have been shooting since I was 8 years old and have never touched a compound arrow flinging device.

I shoot 250 arrows a week from the end of season till the new season starts. I feel better after shooting (mentally and physically)than before.
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Offline bullet-slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by ridge runner:
almost 51 and the guy looking out doesn't look like the fella looking back, still shooting low to mid 60#s ,and still love watching an arrow arc through the air
Ridge Runner, I hear ya.  When I look in the mirror some times I wonder who the ole guy is staring back.  My brain seems to be in a constant conflict with my body about reality now and 20 years ago.

Spent about a hour shooting my 61 lb recurve tonight and my left elbo is really hurting.  But tomorrow or Friday I'll be getting my new 50 Lb Howard Hill wesly special and feel like a little boy Christmas eve.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Eccl 5:15 As he came from his mother's womb, naked shall he return, To go as he came; And he shall take nothing from his labor Which he may carry away in his hand.
NKJV

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
Im 53 and that feels a lot older than fifty.The older I get the better I was,and I'm starting to think I must have beenpretty good. Hunting almost became a chore last year. Climbing trees and lugging my standskind of got to me. This year it's ground hunting for me. Shooting my backup bow as well. Bear kodiak magmun@ 53lbsand some AD carbons with two blade zwickies. Stopped by the local archery shop this morning and got grumpy just listening to the talk about speed, mechanical headsand trail camera pics.I guess the grumpy part is me just getting older. Canceled my outdoor channels because they are such a turnoff.I think that I am getting old and just not tolerant of some stuff. Beats the alternative.Looking forward to a year of ground hunting.

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
I'm 57, killed my first deer when I was 8. Haven't stopped yet! I shoot a longbow 50lbs....Archery has sure changed in the 30+ years....TRADITIONAL ARCHERY not so much...we still shot the same basic bow traditional guys did 30-40 years, wooden arrow, mostly the same broadheads, quivers, tabs and gloves....wear about the same cloths, HUNT THE SAME ANIMALS, Same places and sometimes with our oldest friends. The wheelie guys can 100 things in one year.....heck, us TRADITIONAL GUYS...don't have 100 things to change...  :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline Gary Sewell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
I'm 56. Started shooting bows when I was 14. Shot a compound for a few years in the early 70's. Went back to recurves, then longbows and back to recurves. Can't remember how many bows I have had. Love the old bear bows. I have 12 kodiaks, two green stripers and a J D Berry longbow. Weight is mostly 42 to 57#. Been down here at GTMO, Cuba for 7 months. The longest I have ever been without shooting a bow. Be home in a month, can't wait to get out and hunt and shoot.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2009, 12:39:00 AM »
58 and will be 59 in November. Sure did feel that age this last 28 days in Mexico. I thought my days of hard labor were over, but circumstance has changed that. Gotta have a job. LOL
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2009, 01:03:00 AM »
I'm going to jump, one more time.
Great post and I'm reading them all, but at this age, retention is questionable.
1961 RWH 58"45@28
1963 RWH 58"49@28
196? Indian double shelf 60"50@28
2008 Osage selfbow take-down 63"53@28
GOTOBOW 60"54@28 Great Northern Ghost
Still kicken coonsbutt
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©