3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tips from an Ol' Timer...  (Read 1124 times)

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tips from an Ol' Timer...
« on: September 09, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
No not me!!   :readit:  )

So lets hear it guys/girls...Teach me something! The coffee pot is on!  :campfire:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips from an Ol' Timer...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
May not help kill more but maybe help find one if hit.I shoot another arrow where it was standing to get exact spot where shot sometimes looks diff. from the ground after climbing down.I also use toilet paper to blood trail instead of that ugly plastic marker tape.Toilet paper will be gone after a couple rains and woods will look good again.Kip

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
Great idea for a thread, I'll be watching this one.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
im not an old timer, but i do remember the first trad shoot i went to 13 yrs ago at the second annual state shoot in hickory,nc.please bear with me a minute and you'll understand where im going with this. when i had arrived in hickoryi felt lossed and out of place, not to mention a little intimidated to talk to anyone much less to spend my money on a bunch of archery tackle i didn't know anything about. any howsome fella introduced himself to me and showed me around and had introduced me to some of the vendors there, i made some purchases, which i was very pleased with. then this fella asked me if i had met herb? well this fella told me to follow him and we'ed go find him. well i was introduced to mr herb reynolds as a new shooter in trad, mr herb grabbed my bow and started showing me tips and techniques on the proper care of my bow, shooting techniques and tips, and all the while he was drawing a crowd. there must have been 15-20 fellas gathered around to hear mr reynolds speak.it left an everlasting impression on me on the sage wisdom that he had passed on. it also made me wonder, how many times these same fellas have heard the same techniques and tips, they were stillright there to listen to mr reynolds speak.  i know he is in a better place and is at peace. mr reynolds you are missed by freinds and family. you will never be forgotten.
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
Probably one of the most important elements to bowhunting success is knowing your quarry and how he gets around,IN the area you are hunting.

If your terrain allows it,spend as much time observing the animals from a distance as you can.Learn to read sign and understand what it means.Learn to recognize important food sources and check to see if they are available on a given year.Learn where bedding areas are and deep security cover.Learn what deer do in your area when heavily pressured.

Preseason scouting is of course important but don't forget that after filling a tag and after the season is over,scouting may be even better.

Often when hunting,we stay out of certain areas to avoid spooking deer but after the season is over,we can gain some valuable insights for next year by scouting again and putting together all the pieces of the puzzle.

It is a really good idea to carry a small notebook and jot down dates of sightings,and sign and observations of what the animals are doing.

Looking back on your notes may jog your memory about where you need to be on a given week and sometimes some small observation that seemed unimportant may take on new meaning,coupled with new observations.Make some maps of your area and start marking your information on them and see if patterns of movement develop.

Don't sweat misses and missed opportunities.Consider those valuable lessons that you don't have to pay money for,enjoy the thrill of every minute spent in the outdoors and realize,you can just keep hunting.Above all,have fun.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
Walk Little--See,hear alot.

Actually, the older I get, success is virtually guaranteed just by being afield and enjoying my surroundings.

Notebook suggested by JimB is a great idea.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline WAC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
In my humble opinion, must unsuccessful bowhunters place stands where they think a deer should be instead of letting the deer tell them where to place a stand. We are all quilty at times of hunting a spot because it looks good. DON'T DO IT.! Deer do not wander aimlessly through the woods. they know where they are going, they have been there before and sign of ther passing is on the ground. Put some boot leather on the ground and find the highest concintration of fresh sign on your hunting area. hang a stand within 20yds. of that spot and shot a deer. When I find a hot spot I hang a stand and hunt it. I do not hang a stand and then back out for a couple of days to let the spot cool off. I want to be there the next time the buck comes through and shoot him. Letting the spot cool off meens you let the deer come in, investigate, leave, and not come back for three months. I would rather be there and shoot him the first time he rolls through. I also feel guys stay to far away from good buck sign becuase they are afraid of running him off. You can not kill a deer staying 100 yds. away from the fresh sign which is where he is standing when the sign was made. you have to roll your dice and move your mice. In other words you have to get close enough to kill him and for me that is real close. Did not mean to go into such a rant but I hope that helps. I shot my first deer with a Bear Grizzly recurve in 1975 but I didn't have consistent success until I overcame my fear of running the deer off.
1 Corinthians 16:13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be MEN of courage; be strong.

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
when people come through your hunting area don't get up & leave or get mad. the game will get up & sneak away from others moving around so you can get the shot.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
Here are a few things I have learned:

For hunting whitetails get, read, and then study any of the books by Gene Wensel and/or Barry Wensel or Rodger Rothhaar, you will learn more from reading one of their books then most people will hunting for ten years .  I read my three favorites, Come November, Treestand Strategies (it’s small, packs well on hunts, and can be bought with shipping on the auction site for less then ten bucks) and in Pursuit of Trophy Whitetails, at least once each year.  

One thing I learned from Gene and Barry that really stands out is “It is a lot more important where you hunt, then how you hunt” whitetails, which I have found true for most other game I hunt.

Roger reminds me to keep things in perspective, regardless of the results.

A personal observation I have noticed over the years, the most successful bowhunters happen to be better then average shots.  However, being a good shot does not necessarily make one a successful bowhunter, it only increases the odds of making a good, lethal shot when an opportunity presents itself.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
:campfire:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Can't help with the hunting tips, but I can with this one...  Don't shoot any more bow than you really need.   You'll shoot more accurately and you'll still be shooting a lot more years into the future.  The shoulder problems you'll have in middle age and older don't come from what you're doing then, but from what you did back when....
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
If someone says, "guaranteed to work"...it's not.
If someone says, "It's the best, hands-down"...it's not.   If someone says, "forget the wind and just hunt"....forget what he said...he's wrong.  

Anyhoo....The best advice I can give is to earn your keep in the woods.  Don't expect anyone to be able to shortcut the process for you, and don't accept that mindset.  Hunting is about learning and each day there is a different book to study; copying from your friends paper won't help.....you must make the grade yourself.

Okay...keep your nose to the wind and don't listen to your stupid I-Pod on stand.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
Not sure to qualify as Oldtimer; but, as strickly a hunter, I have learned to appreciate the hunt as much as anything. Real thankful I'm healthy & fit to pull my longbow. Don't take it for granted.

Get into the woods & locate the sign; rubs, scrapes, funnels, food sources, runways, etc. Big deer don't get there being stupid. They're the exceptions to all the rules. Doe stew is great.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
Great thread!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
Best advice I can give is to Give Thanks To God for All things were Created by Him!

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Keefer:
Best advice I can give is to Give Thanks To God for All things were Created by Him!
Wiser words are seldom spoken. I've been feeling sorry for myself this season after being repeatedly "skunked". The fact of the matter is I have a supporting wife, a healthy body and the well wishes of generous landowners allowing me access to slices of heaven. I am indeed blessed. Backstrap will come, just undoing a lot of bad habits I had formed after years of hunting with a rifle. Archery is "a whole other animal".
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Oh MyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyYYY!     :saywhat:    

Offered as food for thought, not even others with a half century of experience are going to agree.

The topic is one word, yet encompasses serveral singular items or issues that each of us use.

That word is ***SPEED****.

Forget about it for hunting.

IF you are shooting sights AND guessing yardage, a bit more speed MIGHT allow for a "larger margin of error", yet even then the amount a handful of FPS effects trajectory is SO small few could capitalize on it to any degree.

If like most of us and shooting barebow, your trajectory is recorded in your think tank from hours of shooting. Your brain does NOT calculate FPS and I know NO "instinctive" shooters that "judge the yardage" on each shot.

The methods of attempting to GET the holy grail of FAST quite often jumps into changes in your equipment also unneeded and OFTEN mistakes for hunting equipment.

Better shooting is NOT normally the results of equipment changes, unless going DOWN in bow weight.

If there is ONE thing I see consistant in those comming to tradition from compounds is the EVER consistant "need" to shoot too heavy a bow and too light an arrow.

For decades, we have all heard **"shoot as much bow as you can"........with one last word MANDATORY "accurately"!!**  Too many jump into a 55lb recurve or longbow the first year they shoot and will forever be fighting poor accuracy and the culprits of poor form ( I.E. shooting too fast, not reaching full draw, poor consistancy etc)that CAUSE poor accuracy.

Even if you are doing so now, and doing so "ok" it shouldn't BE a struggle.

At full draw, your back muscles and shooting fingers are the ONLY thing that should be in action.  The rest of your upper body should be relaxed, comfortable and NOT knotted up.

The higher poundages will come in time with the exercise of shooting. Fighting to do so as rapidly as you can is a horrible thing and will cause more problems to overcome than any single mistake I've seen in my life.

Shooting and hunting with traditional equipment is supposed to be and IS fun. Beating yourself up to attempt to do more than you are ready for has absolutely no, repeat NO positive aspects nor will give you positive results.

An arrow needs neither to be going "fast" or have a "flat trajectory" to be accurate and deadly.

Even those NOT coming from compounds, few though that still remain, get thrown innumerable articles on FPS, KE, and yes, even EFOC.

Forget about them!! At least for now.

Even though I AM, an advocate of EFOC, it is not, repeat NOT, a "must have or I cant hunt efficiently" item right along with knowing your set up's FPS and KE ( I dont EVEN wanna go THERE, LOL).

Pick up a 38-40lb bow, a decently matched set of CORRECTLY spined arrows and learn to shoot correctly and take MONTHS doing so. Until you can KNOW you will hit your target and keep GOOD groups at your chosen ranges, NO changes are needed.

A bow that weight and an accurately shot stable arrow of 450 grains or more with a SHARP traditional, cut on contact, broadhead will kill a deer sized animal at 20 yards EVERY time.

Accuracy, Stability, Quietness, Sharpness kills....Speed, KE, EFOC are "extras" that you do NOT need to know to be one H of a shot and hunter!

A GREAT PERCENTAGE of the great hunters in history HAD NO CLUE as to their own.

I dont measure my FPS and therefore KE     :rolleyes:    yet do weigh my arrows and calculate my FOC...but again that IS ME, and NOW.

For DECADES, I didnt DO THAT!

The deer I took year after year didn't care.

Don't let peer pressure, articles, co workers, compound shooters "embarrass" you into somethng you do not need to shoot and makes traditional archery a CHORE.

It's one H of a lot of fun and will be the rest of your life with only a lick of common sense needed.

God Bless and thanks for letting me take up webpage space.    :thumbsup:
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
Exactly Keefer...wake up look out the tent at the beauty He has bestowed on us and give thanks.

Enjoy the hunt, not just the resulting kill.

Listen to those who know more than you.

Go s-l-o-w when in the forest. I get into elk sign or an area I know they frequent and then I go slow and listen....patience and heightened senses...be the predator.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Quietness, scent free, sharp broadheads, tuned equipment. Learn where deer (or whatever) are likely to be, get their first and make the first shot count.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
At 45 am I qualified as an old timer.... ? Just a few that come to mind that have helped me over the years that I was taught by old timers and my own dumb mistakes !

1) Use a $19 gerber saw to trim those small limbs off trees you need to climb with a climbing treestand. I keep a saw in each Summit Viper side pouch. Just do not EVER hold the limb with the other hand as you are sawing, you will gash your thumb open every time !!! Both hands on the saw.

2) Move over about an inch to either side of the deer's sternum when field dressing and cut the cartilage loose from the sternum rather than going down the center of the sternum and severely dulling or chipping your knife. Then cut the windpipe in two and stick your finger in it for a nice handle to pull the guts out.

3) Cut your pull rope about 18 feet and when you are climbing up and the rope is tight then you are at a happy medium for most hunting. Any lower and you may get busted, any higher and your kill zone becomes much smaller and bad entry / exit angles.

4)Wool is awesome ! Cannot believe I am just now finding that one out. No great wonder, look who designed and made it..... GOD !

5) Dean Torge's tree seats are da bomb.... simple, cheap, lightweight, etc, etc, etc.

6) Lithium batteries for your GPS, lights, etc, cannot seem to wear them out, worth the $$$ !

7)Crest your arrows for the bow you will shoot them off of at the brace height for that bow.... instant brace height checker !

8) Good binos, don't leave home without them !

9) Deer carts for rolling out your prize, best $$$ ever spent and could save a heart attack !

10) Keep a small roll of electrical tape in your pack or truck to tape your tag to the deer's leg.

11) Summit Viper cables can be used for jumper cables ! Just strip the heat shrink back and stick the ends to each battery. I jumped off my polaris with a dead battery and a broke pull rope one winter  !

12) Stay 10 more minutes when you think you cannot stay on stand another minute. Killed lots of deer the last 10 minutes on stand !

nocams  :readit:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©