3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tips from an Ol' Timer...  (Read 1125 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips from an Ol' Timer...
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
I'm not an old timer, but I sure hang out with a few (sorry Ron).

Somebody already said "learn about archery". I want to expand on that. Learn about OUR archery history. You learn so much, and enjoy the intricicies of the sport so much more by learning about Fred Bear, Glenn St Charles, etc. Listen to guys like Ron LaClair and Fred Asbell whenever you can. It's an awesome sport, and it's way beyond the bow and arrows.....

Offline cavscout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Watch the deer they will teach you more than any person will. When scouting or waiting for a deer that is out of range study all the movements, tail flips ,if the deer keeps looking back or in a certain direction, there is usually a reason. Study the animal and you will get to know them. If they look straight at you and bobb thier head they dont know what you are and are trying to get you to move so dont.. If they cant figure you out they will snort once and run a few steps. that one blow is ok. when they blow two or three times and dont stop running its over. If you can without being seen blow back one time only and smack the ground with your hand or give a gentle bleat . You will be surprised how many deer will come back and even go back to feeding. It is how i have watched them talk to each other over the last 35 years. I have shown this to people and they are impressed by how does come back or even circle around closer.When they put that head down or turn to look away then draw, but watch cause sometimes they will start to put that head down and bobb it back up 2 or 3 times befor you get the chance. Hope this helps it has worked very well for me.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
Keep reading TradGang! Even us "ol' timers" pick up good advice here. If you come here every day, show your appreciation by contributing to the cause. I did this week, and I'm ashamed that I didn't do it sooner. Well worth the $20 and more!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline VAFarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
I am new, but will add cause its fun.

Have a reverence for the animal you harvest-God made that animal, and He knows when it falls.

Thank the Lord for His generosity in providing it's sacrifice for you.  God certainly knows well about sacrifice!   :)

Make good use of that animal, don't let its death be for any other reason than to sustain/maintain life.

Range your area as soon as you set up-whether you can guess it, step it, or range it.  Rifle, muzzleloader or bow-makes no difference.  Know the range of landmarks.   With a bow, 5yds makes a difference past 30 yds, so range'em beforehand, repeat it to yourself as you sit in the stand, or flag em somehow.  When the big one walks out from whatever direction he comes from, you know what range he is at quickly.

Ya'll are good folks,

Farmer

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »
Study and respect the animals you are hunting. I hate it when someone claims that something is easy because they are stupid or dumb. The smartest animal in the woods is a alpha doe. Learn the plants and trees of the forest. All trees are not created equal.Start out hunting squirrels. there is nobetter teaching tool for a new hunter. Lot's of fun too and isn't that why we do this.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
I'm not an old timer but I hang around with plenty -- the best advice I ever heard about hunting was from the Old Man - Someone at a show looked at Dad's big whitetails and said something like "Boy, I sure wish I was lucky enough to kill big deer like that."  The Old Man's response was "Yeah, the harder I work at it the luckier I get!"

I think there is so much truth to this, whether archery or hunting, or just life in general.  I've had several guys tell me things like this - that I'm "lucky" or "fortunate" or am "given opportunities" blah blah blah, whatever - you know what - the harder you work the luckier you get!  While the wishers are sitting around wishing you go out and work and you'll enjoy reaping the rewards.

Ryan

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
After someone reads through all these great tips, the bottom line is if you don't spend enough time out in the woods to be successful, you won't be.
The more time you put in your stand or ground blind puts the odds in your favor.

I know because of family or job restraints, you may only hunt a few days here and there but you have to make the most of those few days.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline loco_cacahuate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
I read once "you can have 10 years experience or 1 years experience 10 times"
Don't be afraid to try new things that you think might work and think outside the box.
Never drop your gun to hug a Grizzly.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
Learn to interpet their body language. Avoid direct eye contact with deer. And as others have said there is no substitute for preparation and time spent in the woods. The beauty and peacefulness of nature is one of Gods greatest blessings. So go out,take your time, and enjoy it.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
Practicing with your bow must simulate real hunting conditions. I shoot every day and don't even own a target! Stump shoot in real scenarios, kneeling, squatting, over a limb or around a bush. If you hunt from a tree then practice out of a hanging stand. Standing erect and flinging arrows at a flat faced target butt at known distances will hurt you more than it will help. Maurice Thompson said so 130 yrs ago.
Tom

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
In theory it is easy. Find a good site, sit still, point your face into the wind, be quiet, pick a spot, shoot straight. Granted, it is a lot easier said than done.  A whole lot of woodsmanship, discipline, and archery skills are needed to make all this work as planned. Gee, I wish I could always practice what I just preached.
Sam

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Have fun

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
Some great advice here!
I'm not an old timer by any means but I have spent the majority of days in the woods.. more when I was a younger boy less now since I have family to provide for but my passion above all is to just be in the woods.
You can be a champion turkey caller and if you are not a woodsman you won't be a champion turkey hunter. You can be the best shot with a bow or gun and if you are not a woodsman you will not kill deer.
No matter what the quarry if you are not a woodsman first you will not be succesful. As has been stated here several times KNOW YOUR QUARRY. Know the lay of the land and enjoy being part of what is nature.
It took me four years of bowhunting to harvest my first deer at the age of 14. 20 years later I succesfully harvest deer every year. Not always monster bucks but my freezer is never empty and I ain't found a recipe for horn soup yet so that don't make to much diffference.
Plan on taking a turkey this fall with a recurve and can't wait. It took me 4 years of chasing them suckers to figure them out but once I did I have succesfully harvested a nice spring gobbler on opening day all but one year since and the year I didn't get him opening day I got him the next.
Do all your hunting before season opens, do your harvesting when season comes in.
Know your equipment and be proficient at it's use. good luck and have a great life as a WOODSMAN.
Kris
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Widowbender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
Patience kills more game than anything else...
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2009, 03:28:00 AM »
I think the same topic was posted about 3 years ago.
Them little one or 2 sheets of TP left on the end of the roll, Stickem in a sandwich bag & throw the empty tube away. Your wife or girl friend will appreciate it.
By the way, put a fresh roll out, but keep the sandwich bag next to the toilet because you know within about a week you're going to need it.
She won't replenish the roll, although she spects you to.
And Kildeer you know I'm being honest and I DON"T want to hear from you on this one.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »
Definitely not an old timer but have been deer hunting most of my life.   The best thing i can share that i have learned is that there is no substitute for TIME

Time practicing with your bow

Time spent learning about your quarry and the land they live in

Time learning how to play the wind and keep it in your favor (thermals can mess with you)

In this sport and the way we choose to approach it there is no quick answer or short cut, it is a journey, and its one thats meant to be fun so enjoy the process and i promise if you put the time in filling tags will no longer be a worry and will happen more often than not
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
My tips are Give Thanks To God enjoy the hunt and pass it on.Blake
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
Here's one that salvaged an almost bust season for me in late December. Please read, it's one of my best hunting stories.

When preparing to exit your tree stand, and you've lowered your weapon to the ground with your hoist line... DONT drop the other end of the line assuming you will simply roll it up when you get down there. Keep it attached to your belt until your all the way down.

It had been a long hunt. In my stand pre-dawn, now 2 pm, and I had no lunch, very hungry, no deer, gotta go. I had de-chambered and lowered my gun to the ground and nearly dropped the cord assuming it would be of no more use, I was obviously done hunting. Something inside said "no, clip the hoist line to your belt", so I did. I took my safety harness off, packed my pack, and proceeded to place my foot on the first step of the Lone Wolf climbing stick. Immediately two does came crashing through with a young buck following. They were headed straight to me. I put my feet back on the treestand platform and began hoisting the gun back up, thanking God as I did. As the gun moved foot by agonizing foot closer to my hands, the buck moved yard by yard closer until he was so close I knew he'd bust me. But the does kept him distracted from ever noticing the rifle dangling in mid air in front of his face. Just as he was fifteen yards and broadside my gun was in my hands. He was still moving fast behind the does, but the sound of the lever action stopped him in his tracks... It was the last thing he ever heard. My bust season was salvaged, meat would be in the freezer. There I stood on my platform, dead buck under me, backpack on, hoist line dangling from my rifle, and realized all this had occurred without my harness on!!!  :scared:  

It's not over till it's over!
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
I love threads like this, just keep learning from each other.

Great story Bear, we have always tied our haul ropes to the top half of our vipers. I have let my bow down before, turned around and started making prep to descend and had to yank the weapon back up too !!!

I know it, but still letting what stiks-n-strings said above...." Do your hunting before season opens, your harvesting when season opens", soak in. That is some profound stuff right there ! Thinking back over the years some of my best spots were found in Feb.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
I was in the sporting good store today and there was no SKILL for sale!! We don't need most of the goodies or hype in there.
I second the gutless method, but bring an empty backpack to save wasted trips to the truck.
So many use binos beyond shooting range at first look and then get busted by game in close.
Take a kid!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©