3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Camo smelling like campfire?  (Read 526 times)

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Camo smelling like campfire?
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
How many guys sit around the fire with their hunting clothes on?  Or, do you change into something that won't be worn while carrying your bow?

:campfire:
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Camo smelling like campfire?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
I have never been very concious of my smell (I've always hunted with a rifle and smells were an advantage as it would sometimes bump a buck which I'd reach out and touch with a .30-06. Since taking up the bow I've had to change a lot of habits - still haven't sealed the deal but one of the things I've been more aware of is sent. I use scent killer soap and spray my clothes before hitting the trail, but I'm convinced after a few minutes of hiking there's no doubt I'm giving off human odor, regardless of what I've done to mitigate the problem. Frankly, if the wind isn't in your face it doesn't matter what you've done or what you smell like...

All that being said, I'd expect the smell of campfire to be less offensive or alerting to a deer than the smell of In-And-Out Burger remnants   :D
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline VAFarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
I don't know about campfire, but animals in general don't like smoke.  There is a big difference between the smell of smoke and smoke itself.  
I speculate that if he can smell the smoke in your clothes, he can smell YOU.  
I wouldn't worry too much if you are setting up downwind, or in a stand.

after a long day, sometimes you're just too tired to change anyway  :)
God bless,

Farmer

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »
I have sat in the smoke around a campfire intentionally since I saw African bushmen doing it. They burn elephant dung and sit in the smoke. They are better hunters than most of us can ever hope to be, so I figured it couldn't hurt.

On another note, I have a buddy that has had to put down his cigarette twice to shoot deer. He tagged two does from about 10 to 15 yds on diferent occasions WHILE smoking a cigarette in the woods. He has also shot about a dozen more deer smelling like a stale cigarette without any scent blocker or cover scent. Go figure..there is something to say for luck.

I sit in the smoke, always play the wind and spray my boots or step in a puddle...other than that nothing special and I have had a number of deer at tripping distance.

Just do what works for you.    :thumbsup:    

Your results may vary,
-Charlie

**Have you guys ever seen the incense sticks you burn that are used to attract deer? They supposedly work. Too much crap to keep up with, just grab your bow and hunt.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
I just wonder how the scent free stuff smells to a deer!   We base everything on our sense of smell, not the deers.  And you will notice that the ScentFree, whatever stuff advertises 99% effective on "replicated" human odor.  

I would say smoke would have little effect, based on my experience.  Now, I'm sure the scent people will tell you different.   Most "scent" stuff is made to eliminate "cents",  as well as "sense."

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
i used to smoke my camo intentionally as a cover scent, keep the bugs away too.
lets face it most deer are shot and never smell you only because the wind is in your favor. so therefo i make no effort anymore to be anything but stinky!

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
i believe smoke would help more than hinder... its the human scent or scent of a predator that is the problem...... a deers sense of smell is way better than we can comprehend.... so you can imagine how much scent they take in and process daily.... it doesnt take long for them to relate a certain scent with danger..... i dont think the hunter can cover his human odor from a deers nose... he can only help by playing the wind.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
I personally believe smoke from a camp fire may actually help. Where I hunt the smoke can infiltrate the woods for a long distance, depending on weather conditions, wind direction, humidity etc.  I think the deer are used to it and it doesn't seem to bother them ar all. I have observed as well as killed many after leaving the campfire and getting on my stand. I just think of the smoke as a cover scent.Some may disagree but I can only speak of my experiences.
bolong

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
Had to put down a pipe once to shoot a deer, back when I did that sort of thing.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
The wind is the wind....

My clothes smell like campfire smoke pretty much all the time.

Offline svenska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
the Natives always smoked themselves before a hunt for cover scent..it is a natural smell and as long as you're hunting into or across wind it ain't no problem anyway.

Offline Jerry Ragle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
bear hunted with some guys in canada thought they we crazy all of them stood around a camp fire wearing there camo all of them killed bears.said the bears were use to the smell of smoke because of controled burns in that area.

Offline p1choco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
All that being said, I'd expect the smell of campfire to be less offensive or alerting to a deer than the smell of In-And-Out Burger remnants    :D  [/QB]
Smelling like In and Out?  I'd be a dead deer if you smelled like that  :biglaugh: .
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

- Calvin Coolidge

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
Sit in the smoke, snarf down another s'more and keep the wind in in your face.  Scent control accomplished.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
Almost all my hunting is spot and stalk and I never worry about how I smell.  I do pay extreme attention to the wind and will make every effort to staying downwind.  

Animals don't spook because of smoke smell.  Fire is part of their environment.

Ever see the picture of the elk drinking from the river with huge flames in the background?

Offline deertraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »
I intentionally smoke my clothes and it works. A lot has been debated about this, all I know is it works for me. Try it, you will be pleasantly suprized. If you want to read more about using smoke as cover scent, google scent smoker.
Dave
Phil. 2:6-11

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
There's a lot of controlled burning in the pine plantations of the South. Foresters I know have told me of deer hopping the low flames to get behind the fire, and then going about their business. Other animals and birds to likewise. All part of Nature's big wheel.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
Watch the wind - if they can smell smoke on your clothes they WILL smell you.

Second though in many places, indigs will sit in the smoke of a campfire before hunting? Something to ponder.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
Googled "scent smoker"  and it is interesting. Stands to reason because smoke is very intrusive and lingers.

-Charlie

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
probably depends on if the animal is a smoker or not.I just don't think they like to be couped up with smoke and the windows rolled up.  :D  Just kidden.I like to change when I get to camp.It's a cofindence thing.
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©