3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: dental floss?  (Read 950 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
dental floss?
« on: September 09, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
I have tryed several differant kinds and still have'nt found one thats good! do you guy's have a brand your partial to? " I'm not cleaning my teeth with it, just so you know"  :biglaugh:  Jason

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: dental floss?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
Artificial sinew is similar to dental floss.  I used unflavored floss.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
I use the cheapest unwaxed floss I can find in discount stores for nocking points. Don't know what you are using it for so I couldn't make a suggestion. Grant

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
never liked dental floss...never lasted long as a nock point....use serving thread now,lasts forever.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
Depends on what you are using it for.  

Dental floss is the most bulletproof thread on the planet.  Sew a button on with it and then try to tear that button off...
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
I also started using dental floss years ago and learned to tie on nocks with the regular nylon serving.  Works excellent!  If you're trying to use floss for nocks safe your hairline!

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
Jason, didn't I put in a piece of F.F., pale yellow, in with that string for a nock?

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
Yea you did Steve! what kind is it? that stuff works really good! For the rest of ya'll it is for the nock point! Thanks guy's, Jason

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »
I use pieces out of old bow strings.  Boil it first to get the wax out.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
I use Johnson and Johnson Clean-burst Berry Mint waxed for nocks.  Cinnamon is good also and they match my string, smell nice for a while, and seem to work ok so far.    :)  

My hunting buddy is my dentist so I seem to have a lot of those trial size floss dispensers and tooth brushes.  I also get free advice at 5 in the morning about how bad diet Coke and McDonalds Mocha coffee is for my teeth.  :rolleyes:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
I've used waxed dental floss for decades.  It wears like iron, stays tight, and is cheap.  I'm still using a roll of it I got six or seven years ago.  If you wind it on tight and use a whip finish to tie it off, it's not going anywhere.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 07:09:00 PM »
I use the Dento-tape. I believe it is a Johnson-Johnson Product.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »
My nock locater on my new string is made of some crummy, shred-happy dental floss my dentist gave me.  What utter junk - I need dental floss to get the shredded remains of this stuff out of my teeth.

On the other hand, it's five yards of free nock locater material for my bow.  A few granny knots, and a dab of glue and yahoo-yippity - I'm in business.

For the teeth - dental tape works way better for me.

Offline Gottabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Anyone have a great way to tie knocking points and want to share it?  Thanks

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
This is my method and it work's for me. I start by finding the proper nocking point with a brass nock set left loose so it can be moved up or down the string. When I find the right spot I mark it with a magic marker and remove the brass nock. I then use waxed dental floss as my nock set. After I reach the desired diameter of twist and tie it off. I use a cigarette lighter to burn the ends and melt the wax slightly and carefully. Then let it harden for a few minutes before shooting.

Offline Gottabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
What type of knot do ya use?

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
I start at the far point I want it away from the arrow for a bottom and a top nock point.  I tie a basic knot and leave the tag end.  Then I wrap tight and close turns up to the point I want at the arrow.  Then I continue to wrap back with a second layer to the start.  I do a basic knot again using the same tag end from when I started.  I cut the ends down close to the knot.  That is all.  I rub it in a little to work the wax and add a little wax if needed to make it all like one solid material.  I have done more complex multiple knots, but I found this to work just fine.  What I like best is I simply cut the knot off and unwrap it down to the first knot.  I can usually pull it and break it or at lest stretch it a little to cut it with no danger of cutting something I don't want to cut.  I have used multiple knots while doing the wrap thinking I needed them, but that just made getting it off a lot more difficult.  I have about 2000 arrow out of one of my bows with the way I do it now and no sign of any issue.  If one does come loose I would just unwrap it a little and pull the end through a couple loops to snug it back down until  I can tie a new one.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
To temp find my nocking point I use electrical tape, actually it works really well by its self. I use barber scissors to cut thin strips of it without getting my finger imprints on it. As a plus it comes in a multitude of colors. But when I find the sweet spot I simply unwind the old tape and  use dental floss or old B50 and tie it on using half knots till it's the size I want the then full knot it, dap it with super glue. When it's dry cut the tag ends and super glue again pushing the tag ends down smooth.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 01:32:00 AM »
gottabow,

it's pretty simple...

Start with some number 4 nylon serving cut of 10 "es or so.

Now start with basic overhand knots....(the first step in tying your shoe).

one on the facing you, then, working down (or up your pref here but I do like to keep the finish not away from my nock so I go up), one on the back side, I do this 4 times, 4 in front 4 in back....on the last knot, I double the overhand knot and pull tight.  Cut your tags appx 1/4" and burn them with a lighter ...they'll burn and start melting...once they are close to burning into the knot I'll mash them into the nock point I just made by wetting my fingers..pretty simple and it works extremely well.

If you tie the over hand knots to tight you wont be able to twist the knock up or down..if it's too loose it'll be sloopy and move on you.   I dont tightn them too tight more like slightly more then snug by a skosh   :D  .  If you find yourself too LOOSE..you can always hittm with a dab of super glue once you get it where you want.  

My dental floss nock points would eventually go to crap on me and they can be a pain to set just where you want them.  I think it has more to do with how I shoot but for whatever reason I always tore them up.  I did shoot every day at one point in life.   Who knows, but what I do know is since I moved on to tying on nocks with serving material problems solved!  You'll see a red number 4 nylon nock on all of my bows.

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 01:47:00 AM »
First off, you should all have floss in your bathrooms since you floss every day, right?

Actually I am a dentist, but I no longer use floss for my nock points.  I will use it for a wind feather, but for nocks I stick to the crimp-on brass ones.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©