3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Decoy antelope ? about the shot!  (Read 289 times)

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
Decoy antelope ? about the shot!
« on: September 09, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
Hi all: I am heading to S. Dakota in a couple of days and had a question for those of you with experience. When a buck commits to the decoy, and comes in, how long do you normally have to take the shot? Are they in and then out just as quickly, or will they stop for several seconds or will they come in, stop, and then mill around a little. I have hunted them on water holes before but have never tried this decoying thing! I just want to be prepared in my mind the first time it happens  :) , that is assuming it does happen.

Thanks.

Chris Rice
We do not stop playing because we are old. We grow old because we stop playing.

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Decoy antelope ? about the shot!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 06:49:00 PM »
I've been on 2 decoy hunts and on "average" when they come in comitted, they gave anywhere from 3 to 4 seconds. This was 10+ years back and on a very big ranch. You may be dealing with more educated bucks today. My camps went 3 for 4 and 7 for 8 on the times we went. Shots were from 15 to 40 yards with most in the 20-25 range. Very fun/exciting if they are rutting and responding

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
Thanks texbow. I am excited about going and hope to get a shot.

Chris Rice

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
I am going to S. Dakota too the last week of September. But it will be my first antelope
hunt so I can't offer you any pointers.
Good luck, Michael

Offline Goke

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
Chris, My buddy and I have harvested six bucks via decoy. Alot of it depends upon how "committed" you can get them. If you get the right buck who comes in close you may only get a few seconds. We eventually developed a two man system that resulted in the most success. We tried to find a group of lopers with a buck in a spot (like just over a small bluff or ridge) where we could sneak within 100 or so yards. Larger sagebrush or something for cover was always a huge bonus. Part of the key was to get the decoy up without them seeing it go up. Usually, if the does saw it go up they would scare. The primary shooter would always go down wind at least 50 yards. Usually just over the ridge, hiding (usually sitting) near whatever would afford even a little cover (rocks, tall grass, etc). More often than not the bucks will come in then hang up about 50 or more yards. They always wanted to circle down wind and usually circled right into the shooter. Be prepared for them to see the shooter but look back and forth between the shooter and the decoy. That was usually the best shot opportunity. Sometimes they will spoke but only run about 10 yards stop and give you a shot. If I was the shooter and they spoked at close range, I always prepared for them to stop. Now, ocassionally, we have had very "hot" bucks run in excess of 200 yards right to the decoy but more often than not the hung up and circled down wind. I haven't hunted with a decoy for a couple years because we have found some good water holes but man it is fun. Constant action. Best of luck to you and don't hesitate to PM me if you have any specific questions I can help answer. I am by no means an expert but have done it with some success. Sean

Offline rice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
Micheal: Good luck to you as well!

Goke, Thank you very much for your input!
I don't leave until sunday morning and have the widow tuned and ready. Been practicing on my knees every night on a deer target I painted up to look like a buck! Hopefully, I will get a chance to shoot one! It will be a hoot one way or the other  :)

Thanks again for everyones help and kindness!

Chris Rice

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
I heard that they will come into a white flag (piece of material) being waved. Is there any truth to this?
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »
CONSIDER MIKE EASTMANS BOOK AT EASTMANS.COM FOR EXPERT WYO. ADVISE.FROM MY EXPERIENCE MT. ANTELOPE HAVE THE BEST VISION!IT'S HUMBLING TO GET BUSTED BY LITTLE FAWNS. YOU NEED TO FIND A RAGING BUCK CHASING DOES AND STAY HIDDEN UNTIL MAYBE 100 YARDS AND THEN POP UP AND MAKE HIM MAD.KIND OF LIKE GETTING IN A DRUNKS FACE AT THE BAR AND ASKING HIM "WHY ARE YOU SO UGLY" GOOD LUCK!  :biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©