3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I love building ground blinds!  (Read 643 times)

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
I love building ground blinds!
« on: September 09, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
I've been threatening to turn this big cedar tree into a big ground blind for several years.  It started as a joke, then I got serious about it.   First, I cut me a cave into the side of the monster cedar.  Cedars are pest trees around here, but I figured I'd utilize this one since I'm too lazy to doze it over and burn it.

I infiltrated the core of the tree and cut myself a cave into the side of the cedar.  Then I hauled in a hogwire panel and wired it to 2 T posts for the front of the blind, then covered the panel with the cedar limbs and boughs that I had cut off the tree. Also did this on a side that has a few trails entering the field near the tree.   Cleaned out the inside of the blind with a weedeater and a rake to make my movements quiet. I'll be using a double bull chair, and with the height of the paneling, only my eyes and my bald skull will be exposed. Have to stand up to shoot, but I prefer doing that anyway. The natural darkness of the blind helps, too. Deer havent seemed spooked by it over the past several months.

A drab or dark colored long sleeve shirt and a bit of burnt cork or face paint to deaden the glare on my mug, and I should be pretty well hidden.  Got a lot of hog and deer action in this particular field. Several very well worn hog and deer trails converge at the edge of the field about 20 yards away, and its perfect for a north and south wind.

But is it big enough to party in???

Why yes, it is. I have named this blind, "Studio 54". Because its hopefully gonna be a party come deer season!

Thanks for lookin yall...

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I love building ground blinds!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
Nice! Fun, isn't it?

:thumbsup:  
-Charlie

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »
I'm headed out saturday to start construction! can't wait!!  :thumbsup:  Jason

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
Dang you can have a picnic in there! Looks great, good luck!
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline ThomastaylorIII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 12:32:00 AM »
That inspired me. I have one im going to finish tomorrow that will look similiar (hope ya dont mind). I like the metal frame (I think thats what it is?)

Thanks
Thomas
Only forgiveness will finally end this,
There won't be a witness if we both fall, Theres never a hero in a battle of evil, there's never a winner of the quick draw.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 12:40:00 AM »
Cool.. We want pics when you make that blind pay off....

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »
Looks like a good place for a nap. I love hunting off the ground.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 08:02:00 AM »
I like the metal frame (I think thats what it is?)
Yep. Just a section of paneling writed to 2 T-posts.  I wanted a blind that I wouldn't have to keep rebuilding every year after they collapse into the ground. This seems to be a good start.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
I got a spot up here that you can work over for me VANILLA. It's been on my "to do" for about 3-4 yrs. Maybe I will have to get after it this week end. The time is upon us!
You say you took after the inside with a weedwaker? looks more like round-up.
   I hunted a ground blind that a fella made from a CATTLE PANEL. he arched it up till the ends were about 6" apart and put som field fence on for sides and held it up with a few T-posts. covered the thing with limbs and grass bunches. It was awesome. his panel was 5'tall X 16'long and cost about $20. Thats a pretty cheap and sturdy blind. Good luck from "studio 54" will be looking for some pics.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
I have found from using ground blinds that deer don't have good depth perception. They see the front of the blind but don't see past it to the interior very well.

I would recommend you make a shoot through feature or port hole on your blind rather than stand above the blind to shoot. I have made them both ways and never got caught drawing to shoot through a port hole but almost always got caught trying to shoot over the blind.

Killed my biggest buck ever from this blind. It was a shoot through set-up.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
Gorilla, did you use a backhoe to build that pad.   :thumbsup:

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
I think Eric makes a good point, BUT with that thick ole' cedar behind you VAN, you will be well hid. Some how I think you have ambused from cover before eh?
   Every year it seems like I get to stumbling around the woods and set up with a good back drop and sometimes NOTHING in front. I seldom will get picked off unless the deer get around on me and "sky line" me. I guess thats why the pop-up blinds are so good for people, they are never able to be sky lined unless ALL of the ports are opened.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
Blinds are fun to make. When you take in all the factors that make them work,wind, back drop ect. it can take some thought, but that's what makes it fun!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
Eric does have a good point about shooting thru the portholes. But, Chuck also also is correct. The cover of the cedar hanging in front of and behind the blind works to my advantage. I surely aint backlit by anything!

Also, with all the cedar that hangs in front of the blind, it almost creates its own portholes to shoot thru.

Good suggestions guys!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
Can't wait for some nice pics with you and your corked face and a downed critter.
   I used to cork my face as a kid,pretendin I had me a beard.playing hobos or pirates. Good luck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2009, 06:12:00 AM »
That looks good man!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
I have a total of 5 built with the camo material in place. Our season opens on Oct 17, I now have to wait till a week prior to the 17 to cut pine and tie pine branches into the rope.

I use a 25 foot 1/8 inch or bigger poly rope, then put the camo material Burlap with cloth pins onto the rope.

Last year I still have pine that looked fresh right into the first week of December when the deer season closed.

The blend of the burlap camo material and the pine tied into the rope sure make for a great blind.

Some days with snow on the ground this one blind was next to a cut corn field I had over 50+ turkey fly or coast into the field and walk within 5 yards of the blind. But I found when you have a lot of birds it sure is hard to stand and draw your recurve. They seemed to see me first. I wonder if you could shoot right thru Burlap material or the cut leaf camo material ???? On this blind I picked up a lot of the cut corn stalks that the farm machine for some reason did not pick up and used string to tie the stalks to the rope and camo material. Had one doe with her fawn come and eat off the blind with me in it...

Bill
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
nice!  :)
Steve.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
Nice blind, Cam.  When are you starting on mine?

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 12:05:00 AM »
Love ground blind pics....thanks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©