3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Would you hunt (kill) here?  (Read 604 times)

Offline DoubleLung

• Trad Bowhunter
Would you hunt (kill) here?
« on: September 10, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
So I have the opportunity to hunt some land just outside of city limits. It's good hunting with great numbers and the odds are very good. It's very close to my house so I can be there after work and can get more hours in hunting. The problem I run into is when I sit up in that tree and look out I can see several houses and I have this gut feeling that when I shoot something it's going to run into some kids yard and die. Would you take a shot knowing that it's a distinct possibility of the deer running into private property to die?

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Would you hunt (kill) here?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »
It would depend on what way the deer was facing...Im sitting here trying to remember any deer I have taken that ran back the way it came from....every one I can remember ran in the direction they were already going.

How far away are these houses? With a good hit, a couple of hundred yards is a good buffer.

Tough call to make. A situation like that could have many bad results. Or you may be worrying yourself over nothing.

Good luck, either way.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
The kids might think it's cool. You never know...

But seriously, I agree with the above. Every deer I've ever shot ran the way it was facing or made a 90 degree turn.  Never had one do a 180.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
just don't leave the gut pile by the swing set.....  :knothead:  

but seriously, are you legal there?  Outside of that, its only what you feel.  Property issues can become an issue with recovering game, but that can happen on large parcels too.  Is there a concern with permission?  Is it public where discussing it with adjacent folks could be an issue?
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
You can't hunt urban areas without that being a possiblility.  Deer run for cover though, and not the open area of someone's yard.  I've killed many deer under the circumstances you describe and have never had one run into the open when shot. They run back into cover.  I wouldn't worry about a deer dropping in someone's backyard because that's just not likely to happen.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Roger Moerke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
I agree with Molson, deer instictivley run for cover injured or not and defintley when run threw with an arrow.
But I can understand your concern people can just ruin one's day sometimes.

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
One word. Absoulutly!  I've hunted just like this for several years.  My experience is like what has been mentioned already.  After being shot, all the deer run for cover, in which direction they come from.

It wasnt uncommon to hear kids playing and the family dog barking just a 150yrds away,  and be surrounded by deer.
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
Yes I would! More and more hunting opportunities like this are out there. We hunt a farm that is bordered along one side by big "McMansions" and more homes across the road which borders one other side. never get too close to the houses though. If I shot a deer and it happened to run that way.....I'd be proud to go and get it. There have been several deer over the years of hunting there that have been shot in the woods and run across the big open pasture towards these homes and it's never been an issue for us or anyone else.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
I would add that the dogs barking in the yards was a signal to get ready that deer were walking the power line heading our way!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 07:56:00 PM »
Around here if you hunt any public land close by you are usually watching people in there yards.You make good shots and as others say do it when they are pointing the right direction.Very few places that I hunt where you can't see a house unless the leaves are just too thick to block the veiw.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 08:31:00 PM »
I have seen some of the biggest bucks in my life living in the suburbs, Go for it!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
I've hunted around the Westchester NY burbs,with houses in plain sight.I'd hunt in your spot all day long.I always had it in my mind about the deer running into a yard,but I say take the chance.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
I hunt in some tight areas, Most of the time I try to contact the surronding landowners/homeowners just to let them know I will be there and to reinforce that I will not enter there property without permission.If the situation ever arrises. Also take only high percentage shots. Hope this helps, Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
If its legal go for it. One of my spots is very similar. Its also my spot where I see the most deer. Usually 10+

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
I would do it if all is legal and you are not in any safety zone or anything.  With a gun it would be different for me.  I don’t want to rile folks up to much.  I have a spot like this, and I only bow hunt it even in gun season.  Great spot only I can't always hear the deer because of the traffic noise. I have shot some good deer there.  Look at it this way; you are probably saving someone from hitting one with their car or it eating all their flowers.  They may be happy you are taking them out.  If they are unhappy if they see it go down what are they going to do about it if you are legal?  Just ask to remove it if it goes down off the property you hunt.  If they want it fine.  If they freak out about it so what.  That is their problem and what are they going to do with a dead deer?  If you are legal you have every right to hunt so do it.   The deer in the urban areas need to go.  You are doing a public service.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
Welcome to nj...those are some of the best spots! Hard to find big open woods with out houses in these parts. I'd hunt it.

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
Use to help the local city with there deer population problem " contract killer" so to speak only one time did the deer after being shot by a friend ( another contract Killer)run toward civilazation dying with its head on the front step of a house -- the owner was cool with it we cleaned up the situation best we could and everything was OK. Just be careful and have fun!!!

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
They changed the safety zone laws in Pa so you could hunt in town. It used to be 150 yards from a ocupied building while hunting and they changed it to 50 yards if you are archery hunting. I hunt right in town and have seen the biggest bucks there of anywhere I hunt.. I might also add the quietest spots I hunt, no 4 wheelers to bother me.

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
Yep!
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline DoubleLung

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
It is legal as the land I'll be hunting I have permission to hunt and they would like the deer gone. I'm aware that it's legal and that I'm not doing anything wrong but still worry about that feeling in my gut if a confrontation occured. Well I think I'm going to go sit in a stand anyway and if something that I really want comes in we'll see what happens.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©