3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ABC Jury Changes  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Dean Torges

• Trad Bowhunter
ABC Jury Changes
« on: April 02, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »
We've changed the jury selection process. It now requires your perspective and your voice. Popular vote will decide which bows receive an Invitation to The Final Test. 

Shortly after the June 1 entry deadline, all the entries will be displayed on the Bowyer's Journal website and each IP address will have 9 online votes, three per category, enabling you to  determine which bows merit closer inspection with an Invitation.

This change means that online entries will be acceptable after all. All other entry specifications remain the same. Entries that arrive by postal mail, as originally requested, will be scanned and posted to the website ballot. In other words, every entry, no matter its format, will receive a place on the ballot. 

Please check "The Bowyer's Journal Magazine", its online site, bowyersjournal.com, or bowyersedge.com for updates. The bowyersjournal.com bulletin board also contains a forum devoted exclusively to ABC discussion.

Use these links or the Bowyer's Journal homepage for contest information:
   http://www.bowyersedge.com/ABC_06.html  
   http://www.bowyersedge.com/ABC_07.html  

We will continue to improve the Challenge every way we can, and we welcome your thoughtful suggestions.

Don't miss this opportunity to challenge yourself.
"Carve a little wood, pull a few strings, and sometimes magic happens."  --Gepetto

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ABC Jury Changes
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
Goodness I read the title and thought you were commenting about some sitcom drama on TV...
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
Sounds great.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Dean Torges

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by insttech1:
... thought you were commenting about some sitcom drama on TV...
I was.
"Carve a little wood, pull a few strings, and sometimes magic happens."  --Gepetto

Offline Dean Torges

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
Our concern with turning this stage of the Challenge over to popular vote is that merit would be overlooked and superficial concerns such as reputation and popularity might unduly attract the vote. For that reason, we toyed with the idea of the three judges reserving 20% of the total vote. If the jury vote turns in a superficial direction, then next year we will add a counterweight. Until then, we'll remain optimistic and trust that everyone will do his/her best job in evaluating the bows.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 08:58:00 PM »
How did I know Florida would be involved in buying votes.  :rolleyes:    :D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
Yeah but Dano, they'll mark the wrong box anyways.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 02:04:00 AM »
I hope this on goes better than the last. I know more than one bowyer who built  a fine bow that got no consideration and they are peeved-not that they didn't win just that they didn't get even an inquiry.

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 06:57:00 AM »
I think it's a good choice. I have to believe folks are honest enough to vote on merit and not popularity. I have been wrong before though.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 10:45:00 AM »
Everything that's good has growing pains. That's my words of wisdom for the day. That and eat more spinach.  :bigsmyl:

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
(Digging out my plastic Sherrif's badge and replica Festus Hagan hat and stepping up to the front porch of The Longbranch Saloon)

I think the judges do need to get a good percentage of the vote. In the end, a trained and impartial eye needs to validate the bow's merit with a hands on approach. Yes, there are problems associated with any nationwide talent search (hello American Idol), not to mention the logistics problems. Every contest has it's limitations and those limitations were summed up in many of Dean's comments last year. It's easy to say that it needs to go better but unless you're willing to help out with responsibilties, that's easier said than done.

That said, get your entry ready and submit it according to the Challenge rules and regs and let the chips, or in this case shavings, fall where they may.

(Secretly hoping for upgrade to tin badge...)

Tom
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »
Tom, I guess you didn't get the memo. There will be no upgrades this year due to budgit contraints. BTW, you got a plastic badge??? mines made of osage.  :confused:    :D

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
LOL - would someone please explain to me the qualification of "the popluar vote" to select anything????  let's see popular vote has given us rap music, the compound, george bush, not to mention some of our wonderfully ethical congressmean and sentors, fast food, poor school systems, current televison programming, brittany spears.......oh need I go on!

Are you carzy  :)

rusty

Offline Dean Torges

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
Just looking to improve the process. Frankly, I get a little weary of the sniping even though I've been on these bulletin boards for a very long time (since before the LW began), seen how people conduct themselves and understand enough that I should be immune by now. Each bulletin board to varying degrees seems to have its own coterie of bowyers, identified by their shared vision, the same suspicions, the same consipiracy theories, the same protective attitude toward their turf, the same easy way with self-congratulations, and, in some instances, a startling and easy manner villifying outsiders. That's life, I reckon. But it sure has sent me for cover on more than a few occassions. I try to pretty much keep my head down nowadays.

I won't argue with your catalogue of injuries, Rusty, but I'm an optimist with faith in this sport and its ability to bring people to a higher understanding, so I'll try to engage us one way or another in this Challenge. Good for a new magazine, good for bowyers, good for the craft and the sport. Yet it continues to amaze me that people still question the ABC, still regard its results with suspicion, still distort its criteria, labeling them arbitrary and unquantifiable, and continue in these and related matters with a smugness usually reserved for those who know they are going to heaven and you and your group aren't.

So in some measure at least we're turning part of the process over to involve others, democratizing it, on the assumption that sharing responsibilities will relieve some suspicions and anxieties.

I could tell you how seriously the judges (myself, Brian and Paul Comstock) anguished over the jurying process last year, and then how seriously we took the responsibility of grading the bows invited to the Final Test, but those who supported the Challenge don't need the assurances, and those who remain cynical will be unmoved. Still, I will repeat that there's no hiding a bow once it gets to the Final Test, and that the results are fair and obvious to anyone with a mind that values truth and honesty above agendas and self interest.

So, y'all figure out which 9 bows you want invited to The Final Test, and we'll take it from there. Do a good job now, hear? We'll provide some guidelines in the weeks ahead.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 12:34:00 PM »
LOL now Dean I was just teasing ya.  I think it is a good idea.  the people voting on the bows are not really in the class of popular vote.  they are archers.  I was just thinking about the things the "popular vote" gave use....

but I still not sure about the crazy part  :)

rusty

Offline Dean Torges

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »
Rusty, that could be because you haven't made up your mind whether it's "carzy" or "crazy,"  although it's also possible I could be both.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
Dano - around here osage isn't wasted on badges.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
Down this way, we use it for fence posts and sometimes firewood, and an occational bow.

I vote the both of you'ins are crazy  ;)  And that may be a popular vote.

Offline Dean Torges

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by trashwood:
I was just thinking about the things the "popular vote" gave us....
Need a correction on one of your items. Being as how 4nolz is from Florida and still trying to buy the popular vote, like it was 1960 in West Virginia, he should know it's not the amount, it's who counts 'em. (Ahem, Mike. That'd be me.)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
LOL now that was funny.  at least on the internet we won't have any of 'em hanging or pregnant chads.  

I read the rules, worked on my bow a little and contemplated my write up??????? do we lose points for spelling and grammer???  

rusty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©