3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ABC Jury Changes  (Read 1614 times)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ABC Jury Changes
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »
heee heee I got a line on some catfish skins....that's all folks.  just get ready to vote.....i don't have to sing any songs do I ???

rusty -sings as well as I type- craine

Offline Dean Torges

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
Mike, I think I still have oysters to shuck and fatwood stump to split from the last "gifts". How 'bout something that don't wear me out.

Rusty, I'd enlist the help of Keith Deters and leave the "grammer" to him. That boy has a talent for describing your bows.
"Carve a little wood, pull a few strings, and sometimes magic happens."  --Gepetto

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 02:10:00 AM »
4nolz, By way of explanation about the "peeved" bowyers(this isn't posted to turn this into some kind of war against Dean). One guy told me that his entry was never entered. That may have been th Post Office's fault but he was pretty aggravated . Another bowyer was irritated that quality of photographs seemed to be a big deal-he is no photographer but took snap shots and wrote accurate descriptions. His disappointment was that some bows chosen for testing  didn't make weight and were out of tiller while he had two bows that were just as described ready to shoot and show their stuff. His comment to me was "I thought it was a bow design contest not a photography contest." Maybe those complaints weren't fair to Dean and the others involved- we know that you can't please everyone-but I have to say that I shot those bows and, while they may or may not have outperformed all of the other top bows they did deserve to be evaluated hands-on.

Offline Dean Torges

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 08:49:00 AM »
We've been through the photograph issue more than a few times. Since you are here as spokesman for two aggrieved parties, I'll offer up a brief explanation if you'll please carry it back to them.

Last year we received photos of bows on deerskins, draped with quivers and arrows, or hanging off of whitetail deer heads, or being drawn in a trophy room with a backdrop of mounts, or in a hunting pose, partially obscured by brush, etc. and so forth. It's hard to see the bow when the bowyer wants us to see other things instead. What else can we go by but the photo? Clearly, we'd rather not have to judge a bow at full draw when it's canted severely. Perspective changes. It's a distortion to suggest this is a photography contest. It is not. We don't want bows by photographers. We want photographs of bows.

We did not specify clearly enough the photos for ABC 1. Now that we know better, we've made the photo specs clear this year. They are there for anyone to read if it matters to them.

Obviously we would not have chosen a bow for the final test if we knew it was under weight. We have addressed the problem this year in the criteria.

Finally, we have no knowledge of an entry that was never entered, but we'll try to do better this year there, too.
"Carve a little wood, pull a few strings, and sometimes magic happens."  --Gepetto

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
"do fresh oysters by the bushel count as bribes?"

Bribes will not be accepted, and those attempting to bribe judges and voters will be dealt with in a judicial manner.    :bigsmyl:  

BTW, make all checks payable to Dano, care of a soon to be announced post office box.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »
Some people just plain take life too seriously and are far too quick to assign blame to someone or something else.  To them I say, think positively.  Be happy for those who won.  The contest, good Lord willin', will happen every year and it should always be fun, fun, FUN!

Resolve to take better photos.  There are just a few very simple tactics to learn to do so.  If your entry was lost in the mail, resolve to get it done early, track the shipment and be prepared with backup if it isn't received in time.  Have fun and take responsibility.  We are only victims if we allow ourselves to be victims.

I highly recommend the book, "All I Ever Really Needed to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" - by Robert Fulghum.

Peace,

John
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
John, are there any pictures in that book??  :bigsmyl:  

Very well said Mr. Sci-Fries  :thumbsup:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
Dano don't forget to put me on the list of people authorized to "sign for your mail".  ;)
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 06:30:00 PM »
No problem Tom, I'll let you open all the big packages first.  :D

Offline Dean Torges

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2007, 07:11:00 PM »
Memo to the High Sheriff and the Police. It's unseemly to be seen in public with your hand out. This is a class operation. Please restrict that behavior to the back room like other elected officials and political appointees.

Did you notice the style with which I refused Mike's offer of oysters? (Mike, that's Deno with an "e", not Dano. And I still have my  oyster knives.)

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2007, 07:15:00 PM »
Dang, the boss caught us again  "[dntthnk]"

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2007, 02:13:00 AM »
Dean Thank you for your gentlemanly explanation. I was sincere in my inicial post when I said that I hoped this one would go better. I know that a lot of people had a lot of fun with the last one...even the guys who griped at me were tickled by the bows that they produced trying to meet the design criteria.

Offline Dean Torges

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
Dammit, Tree man, now stop that. I'd set my mouth to dislike you and now I gotta go back and do it over again.

We hit some snags last year in spite of our efforts to anticipate and avoid them. For example, asking for "revealing" photographs wasn't specific enough. We're earnest in wanting to improve the Challenge; we enlist thoughtful criticism to that purpose, and at the end of each year we'll gather up the lessons and try to do better the next time.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
I've had to resort to the ol' you set the suitcase down next to the phone booth and I pick it up, after some photos showed up in one of the gossip rags. Somebody with a telephoto lens saw the envelope exchange during a seemingly innocent handshake. I'm perfecting the "walk past each other and switch" technique.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
I don't know Tom, we may be outa business if everyone starts thinkin like Tree man.  :D

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
Just use Pay-Pal and no one will be the wiser. hehe
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
Is there anyway to keep the bows and their builders anonymous? So that popularity does not become an issue? That way if someone well known does build a great bow and it gets in the finals no one would have a beef.
Just a thought.
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
I for one would not have a beef with a well known bowyer getting into the finals, most all the well known bowyers aren't that popular anyway. I like the Idea tho Doug, maybe the JUDGES will consider it for next year, if this year does become a popularity contest.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
I would just like say that I am working for world peace, I am kind to all dogs, I want to brain surgeon when I grow up, and I will use all the money I win for my college education.  :)  ps I have had no augmenting plastic surgery....

too much typing! ya guys can't be building no bows, spending all this time typing.  get out there and scarpe some wood.  trashwood is coming!  :)

rusty

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
Now that's a winning attitude!!! Sides no Plastic surgeon in his right mind would take the job.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©