3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: the pistol grip and hunting?  (Read 334 times)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
the pistol grip and hunting?
« on: September 11, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
I know that some of ya guys can shoot a longbow grip very well.  Somewhere back in the late 70's or early 80's I started seeing a locator grip now and then.  During that time the thing in recurves was the pistol grip.  Bow hunters, target shoots, everyone that shot a recurve shot a pistol grip. Somewhere back in the 80's and early 90's ya started seeing the recurves with the old 50's grip on them.  they got to be a thing espically with hunters.  of course the longbow shooters hung with the straight or locator grip.  

Last few years ya started seeing longbows with a pistol grip. I have always shot a pistol grip better than a long bow grip of either kind.  what I can't figure out is why the 50's grip came back so strong.  I really can't see the advantage in a huntig bow?

just curious?  what is the advantage of a longbow or locator grip over a pistol grip in a hunting bow?

rusty

Offline ThomastaylorIII

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: the pistol grip and hunting?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
I find the pistol grip to be easier pointing and more shooter friendly, but that's just me......

As to why they came back..... I have no clue
Only forgiveness will finally end this,
There won't be a witness if we both fall, Theres never a hero in a battle of evil, there's never a winner of the quick draw.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
Nostalgia!!   :rolleyes:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
Some folks like to see how far they can improve traditional bows.

Other folks like to take steps of varying lengths back in time in their choice of traditional bow.

Nothing wrong with either approach.

Actually, I have a foot in both camps - I love my Silvertip recurve, and I love my Howard Hill longbow.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 08:45:00 AM »
Comfort aside, the grip is part of the bow design relating to where the hand pressure is/should be focused.

The pistol grip forces your hand pressure into the throat of the grip which is th center of the bow.

A straight/locator/dished grip on a Hill style bow likes a low wrist so the pressure is on the the center of the handle which is the center of the bow.

Put a pistol grip on a Hill or a straight grip on a widow PSA and they would probably be hard to shoot well regardless of comfortable it feels.

Eric

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
...a strait traditional grip lets you move your hand on the bow to change your grip and point of impact to align it with where you are looking and not tourque the bow. With a pistol grip you dont have as much adjustment so if a particular bow shoots off, you have to "fight" the bow when you shoot. Thats why some bows will automatically be dead on in your hands and others way off.....
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
It a personal preference for me,I have never liked a recurve type grip.I prefer a longbow grip whether it is straight,dish or mild locator.Thats my preference and just plain shoot them better.I'm a longtime longbow fan,but thats me when I think of traditional archery I think of longbows.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
Yes, in a hunting situation I would think it would come down to personal preference.  I don't know that a grip makes a lot of difference at the average whitetail range.

I do think ultimate accuracy comes from a recurve grip.  finite hand placement and shot to shot grip loading is just so much easier with a pistol grip IMO

rusty

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
Straight grip is much more forgiving of form and easier to "point" in a quick hunting shot. Same reason that D longbows are easier to hunt with...

Pistol grips are easier to hit targets with. You have time and can place your feet, check your form, take your time.

My 2 cents

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
Body structure?  Not reason for the switch in 50's, Trashwood, but perhaps for preferances.

I cannot to save my life shoot more'n a few shots with a longbow grip. Stresses out the tendons of my hand too much... then it all goes South.

Recure is a natural alignment for my hand structure/tendons/muscles? But have seen many guys pick up anything and shoot it well.

To yea, I applaud you!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
I think a lot of it had to do with getting away from the compound at that time.  Stickbows were making a comeback and returning to these styles was "new" again.

For me the longbow grip advantage is I can just shove it out there and shoot.  Risers with straight or locator grips are typically smaller and lighter too, making for a quick pointing bow.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 07:11:00 AM »
I can't see how anyone could shoot with a straight grip.If you put your hand out in front of you the natural shape of your hand is angled.

If they made hill bows with a high wrist grip I'd probably enjoy them more.

Then again some folks like a low or straight grip bow better.Just not me.  :D
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »
They (Hills) might not suit all folks, but they do suit some, and they've put a fair bit of game on the ground. Also, I reckon Craig Ekin could be talked into making a longbow with a high wrist grip if you wanted one - I know that Black Widow will do that if requested, on their modern longbows.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
Yes Sir, I have a big five from the 80's that indeed has a pistol grip

rusty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©