3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: WHO LOVES THEIR CLIMBER ?  (Read 815 times)

Offline LarryS

• Trad Bowhunter
WHO LOVES THEIR CLIMBER ?
« on: September 12, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT YOUR CLIMBER. I NEED TO CHOOSE ONE . THANKS FOR THE HELP
L.C.SMEEN

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: WHO LOVES THEIR CLIMBER ?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
I have a summitt and it climbs good , but I hate climbing stands ,they just aren't for me.
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Love my lone wolf hand climber, solid, silent, real light,  but also real expensive. I can go up about any tree I feel like from 8" or so and up. Expensive but if you figure out the price per year for the time your going to use it its deffinitly worth it in my opinion. I love a good climber. They keep you mobile and are great for 1/2 day hunts.

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
The past 6 yrs my lone wolf alpha climber has served me very well.
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
I've got two and I try not to use them.  One is an API grand something.  It is comfy but it's heavy and clunky.

I bought a cheap gorrilla from Walmart 3 or 4 years ago.  If/when I use a climber, that is the one I use.  It's light and folds up nicely to pack.  It has a mesh seat similar to Ol' Man but costs a fraction of the Ol' Man.

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
I have had an Ol'Man, a Loggy Bayou and recently I bought a Lone Wolf hand climber. The LW is the nicest by far and wish I bought one years ago. Expensive yes, but worth it. I hunt heavily hunted public land in PA and hang-on's are not an option unless you like either finding someone in your stand or the stand missing.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
I have a lone wolf climber, works great. Packs flat very durable never seen one bad review on lone wolf climbers. If I had to buy a climber today it would be the sit-n-climb lone wolf. They look to be a bit more comfy.

Offline leftybearfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
I have two climbers that I hunt out of all the time: a Summit (Goliath) and Ol Man (Grand Ole Man). I believe both these stands are the biggest models the companies offer (I'm a big guy and like to have lots of room).

On the positive side, both stands are easy to get used to, both are pretty quiet when climbing and both are rock-solid when you get to your desired height.

On the negative side, both stands are heavy (20# or more).

The Summit is a bit easier to operate because of the "dog-knotted" cable used to fasten to the tree as opposed to the way you have to drop a key through a cable on the Ol' Man.

I find the Ol' Man a bit more comfortable for extended sits, but both stands are very very comfortable.

95% of my bowhunting is done out of a climber, so I've gone up and down trees in both of these stands countless times.
"It's easier to do the right thing, than to explain why you didn't."

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
I have an original Summit and it is the best I've owned. Years ago my friend bought one of the very first Summits and I liked it so much I bought one too. I have 3 other stands but I love my vintage summit and I believe I paid $108 for it.Very quiet and comfortable for me.
  I also like the simple lock on types too. You can but 2 or 3 of them for what you pay for a new climbing stand these days. Add a set of climbing sticks and you are good to go.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Big_Al

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 06:48:00 AM »
I got a great deal on a Lone Wolf sit-n-climb a few years ago and haven't looked back since.  It's the best climber out there IMHO, well worth the price.
"And that, my friends, is the minority vote."  -Bill the Butcher

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 06:56:00 AM »
Ditto what RAU said. I find the sit and climbs too slow but you can add a strap to the hand climber Day Dreamer.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
Another Lone Wolf user and I like it for all the reasons stated above.

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
I bought a Summit Viper first and it's very comfortable.  It was also slow to climb with and noisy (to me).  I still have it, but it hangs in the garage.

I then got a Lone Wolf hand climber.  Fast and quiet.  Easy to carry and pack away.  My only criticism is the seat is small and hard.  I added some foam for cushion, but about 3 hours is all I can stand.

Offline Trooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
I have a Summit, an API and a Lone Wolf.  If I had to pick one it would be the Wolf.
It's not what you kill but how you hunt...

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
I just got an Equalizer 21.5 and love it already!  I like the leveling function, foot straps, and seat frame wraps around.  I put Lone Wolf stabilizing straps on instead of the OEM.  I put on Ol Man mesh seat instead of OEM.  Very quiet and fairly light stand.  I had both kinds of Lone Wolf stands: the hand climber and sit-n-stand.  The Equalizer aint cheap though.  It is downright solid in a tree and comfortable.  The OEM seat is extremely comfortable, I just did not want something else to move and place.  You have to put the seat where you want once you get up to hunting height.  The Lone Wolf hand climber is also the seat so it does not move out of the way once you are in place.  I did not care for that.  I like to stand up and lean against the tree from time to time.  My vote would be for the Equalizer: Quiet, solid, and can be leveled while climbing.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
I've got a Summit Python.  I've taken the front rail/climbing bar off to make it more open.  If I plan on sitting somewhere all day, I really, REALLY try to find a tree I can put that climber in.  VERY comfy   ;)  .

Offline Sticks2117

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
My nephew just bought a summit his first stand he climbed my API and went and bought a summit he loves the thing he's raving on it says it climbs effortlessly
Big Jims Thunderchild 53# @ 26"
Zbow Z58 TD hunter 55# @ 27" (RIP)
Ferguson Patriot by Bear 55#@28
Ferguson Redhawk 66" 60# @ 28
GN Critter Gitter 60#@28
LM North American Hunting Club
Wisconsin Bowhunters Member
NRA Member

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
Another vote for the LW handclimber for all the reasons already stated.They "are" pricey but that's soon forgotten about after you've used it a few times...and their built to last.Wish I had one 20 years sooner.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
I have a Summit Bushmaster-open front hand climber. It weighs 17#, and my only gripe is that I got it before they made the newer model that folds flat.
I have taken countless shots at game with that stand. It climbs easily enough, really grabs a tree.
I have never used a Lone Wolf, so I cant compare. If I were to buy a new one, I would seriously consider Summit and LW first.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
I have a Summit Viper that I've used since 2003.  I consider it one of the best purchases I've made.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©