3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: CLIMBING STICKS-HOW HIGH ?  (Read 369 times)

Offline LarryS

• Trad Bowhunter
CLIMBING STICKS-HOW HIGH ?
« on: September 12, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »
JUST HOW HIGH WILL A SET OF 3 LW STICKS GET ME UP A TREE ?
L.C.SMEEN

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: CLIMBING STICKS-HOW HIGH ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:49:00 AM »
Really depends on how far you are comfortable with the spacing between the sticks.I generally get up around 15 ft. or a tad more with three.If I wanna get more radical with the spacing I can go higher.You just need to be comfortable enough and or confident enough to do what amounts to a pullup in a way between each section.Being in descent shape and a bit agile will allow you to get higher IMO.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 07:23:00 AM »
Last year I used one section of a long Cabela's along with 3 Lone Wolf climbing sticks to get the height I wanted. It think the LW's should be sold as a set of 4.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
Don't know exactly how high but I've found that 4 of the sections get me where I want to be.

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
When I first got them I was a little wild with the spacing between them.  Got me WAY up in the air with no problems going up - but coming back down in the dark I lost my footing once and went for a ride.

Now I just space them reasonably close, and picked up a 4th stick, that'll get me at least 17' with no problems and minimal spacing.  If I stretch it, 20+' easy.
Support the sport!

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
I bought the 4th stick years ago with my original order and never regret it.  I get 18 to 21 feet depending on the tree and how many clothes I have on. I have short legs and like to make the first step a long one to catch some height.  I like to have my last stick where I can step down on the stand for safety.  So the top of the last stick is 4-8" under the seat when I finish. I hang my extra gear on the top step of the top stick. It is the right height to reach down behind me and is very convenient. I also use a second strap on the bottom of the stand. It takes a second or two but the safety factor is worth it.  I recommend you go somewhere so you can practice with the sticks. The strap for the stand and the stick placement is something to consider. The stand can cut down on the stick strap if you don't pay attention to the correct placement. I know people that step up from their sticks on to the stand to get extra height.  This is dangerous.  

I have two small caribiners tied on two sticks that I hook on my harness, so when I go up the tree, I put sticks on all the way.

Never hurts to practice so you are ready and SAFE.

Love the Lone Wolf Sticks.

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
Each stick is 32 inches long. With a 16 inch spacing from the ground to the first stick and between the sticks you have 48" per stick or 4 feet. Three sticks will get you to (3 x 4 =)12 feet comfortably. You can get higher but you have to stretch the space between the sticks. I'm not comfortable doing that because for me it increases the risk of slipping while you are feeling around for the step. If you want to go higher than 12 feet get a fourth stick. It ain't worth a fall.

JW
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
Larry, if you want to safely go much higher than 12 feet, plan on getting a fourth stick.

Lonewolf says the steps are 15" apart, so a 3 step stick is good for 30", or 2.5 ft.  Figure in 18", 1.5 ft, for the first step and between sticks.  Add it up for 3 sticks and you will get 12 ft.  A little more arithmetic will tell you that to get to 16 ft, it will take 2.83 ft for the first step and between sticks.  That is a LONG stretch, almost 3 feet, and I know that I'm not gonna make it.  12 ft is also about the max I can get with my 3 Rapid Rails, which is why I'm adding a fourth long section.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline High Knob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
Some one recently posted that they use a simple loop of rope hanging from the teeth of their first stick as step. I tried this with some 1 inch climbing webbing and now I can get a full 16 feet up with mt tree saddle.

If I was using a platform stand there is no way I could get up that high - even though LW claims they will take you up 16 feet right out of the box.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©