3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To Saddle or Climb (stand), That is the Question.  (Read 355 times)

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
To Saddle or Climb (stand), That is the Question.
« on: September 13, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
Last year I borrowed a climbing treestand from a good friend who needs it back for this season... so I will need to take the plunge and get a stand... but I am intrigued by the idea of a tree saddle...

just curious how many of you use a saddle and what your experiences shooting and hunting from one are like with trad tackle?

Good huntin'!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: To Saddle or Climb (stand), That is the Question.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
Just search the old threads, tons of info on this subject. Also in addition to the treesaddle look at Guido's Web. Both are great products just boils down to your preference, thats why we have chocolate, vanilla, and 37 other flavors, haha !!!

nocams  :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
Yup, there are multiple type "wear in" stands available.  Tree Suit, Tree Saddle, Guido's web, Sneaky Sak and others.  Some are webbing only, some have a sling type seat, some have a rigid seat or rigid seat, pad and backrest.  All things are trade offs.  Weight versus comfort is the norm.  They're like bows though and are best if you try before you buy.

Common comments are things like:

"PRACTICE AT HOME"

"Not for me"

"Couldn't get the hang of it"

"Feels more secure"

"Couldn't fall out if I tried"

"Buy some knee pads"

"They're just another tool and work great in certain situations."

Like nocams said, use the search feature and read up on them.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
Hey Dave  :)

Ya have to be in pretty good shape to really use the bosun's seat/web type stands.  shoulder, elbow, knee problems will make then hard to use if not dangerous.  I used a tree saddle till I injuried my shoulder.  really hard to get hooked up now.

rusty

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
trashwood, you are correct sir about being in fairly good shape to use one, not as easy as a Summit Viper or other climber. However, as far as the safety factor..... totally safe being that you are connected to the tree from the time you hook up on the ground till you come back down. The saddle and the web even offer double belts, one is your hanging belt, the other a lineman style belt. On the Guido's web video he even intentional loses his footing on a step to show how you cannot fall and how the standoff bar will hold you off the tree and not slam you into the tree. I would not want to try that same demo in a sling type seat with no standoff bar !!! JMHO

TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
I've got them both - all the one liner's in Dave's post are very, very accurate of the bulk of the comments you'll find.

It's just another tool - sometimes you don't need a tack hammer to frame a house, but a standard everyday hammer will work great in almost every situation you'd need it.
Support the sport!

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
I have two tree saddles and quite a few climbing and loc-on stands. If I had to give them all up for just one, it would probably have to be the lone wolf alpha hand climber. I like the others, but I keep using the lone wolf as it's so easy and takes less time to get up into the tree.
N/A

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
foxbo, I feel the same about my Summit Viper.... Awful comfy and easy to climb with compared to the Guido's web. However, late winter, lots of clothes plus a 19lb stand and over a mile in, then I will take the Guidos every day of the week and twice on Sunday !

TGMM  Family of the Bow

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
Tree Saddle in mesh if you don't want the bulk of a stand.  You have to be in shape to use.  I use the stands with a bar in front.  My preference.  I just like that type best.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
I've killed two deer out of the treesuit...I now have a Guido's Web and its much more comfortable...I killed a Doe while using my Guido's yesterday, opening day of our bow season...

The only 'drawback' I see for the harness style stand is you have to have a way of getting up the tree - where with the climbing stand you have it all in one unit...

I set up tree sticks and leave them for easy climbing with the Guido's when I can. I also bought a set of Rapid Rails for mobility, which are really nice, but wouldn't want to haul them for long distances...

I won't give up my Lone Wolf climber, but will use the Guido's mostly as I like the benefits of being behind the tree and the ease of shooting almost 360 degrees...

JMHO
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline High Knob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
In my opinion they take some getting used to. If you are considering using one for the upcoming season I would strongly suggest you buy one now and begin practicing immediately. I bought a Tree Saddle in July. The first time I shot from it I felt very awkward - I was not sure if I had made right decision. After about a month of practicing (3-5 days/week) I became fairly proficient. Your "learning curve" may be much shorter, but it took me a good four weeks.

Offline turkeyslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
love my treesaddle,killed 1hog & 2 deer out of it that i couldnt of killed out of my gorilla tree stands,to me its way esier to shoot out of it than a tree stand & i can shoot a full 360 degrees

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
I just got a tree saddle after many months of study, reading old posts and asking questions.  I have mostly used climbing stands in the past but I always "wanted" something better than the one I had.  I LOVE my tree saddle and I have never felt safer.  Like the good folks have stated before, It does take a little getting used to.  Several Tradgangers gave me GREAT info (do search out older post...much useful info) and after several practice runs in the backyard, I can honestly say that the climbing stands ain't gonna get much use this year.  I don't know what kind of shape you are in but I'm 57, weigh about 215 lbs. and ain't real crazy about heights.  If you do decide to get one, give it an honest go for at least 5 to 6 times at or near ground level until you get the "hang" of it.  Then start moving up the tree.  Good Luck!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
Anyone else flirting with using one?  I like my Tree Saddle over a treestand but am giving the Guido's Web a try in my neck of the woods.  I have to hike in through a half mile of belly high weeds, through 1/4 mile of multi-flora rose, across a knee high creek, through a marsh to get to the deepest part of the hunting patch no one else will go to.  Not that I am lazy, but packing a stand in and out does not sound appealing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©