3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How often do you replace your safety harness?  (Read 284 times)

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
How often do you replace your safety harness?
« on: September 13, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
My SOP harness is about 10 years old.  It seems to still be in good condition but I would rather be safe than sorry.  I'd replace it if necessary but, don't want to spend money I don't need to.  Anybody know the manufacturer's recommendations?  Also wondering what most industrial outfits' policies are regarding this issue.

Offline recurve_shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How often do you replace your safety harness?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
I've got a couple that are nearly that old and I still use them.

As long as the stitching and fabric is still sound, I think it will be fine, however, if it has been stressed by catching your fall, it may be a good idea to replace it.  I think most companies recommend replacing if it has been used to break your fall.  Replacing is cheap insurance compared to it breaking on you.

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »
Never had a fall (knock on wood)     :knothead:     .  The stitching and fabric seem to be fine.  Thanks!

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
Most climbing ropes, harnesses etc... are rated for "x" falls.  If your harness hasn't been stressed or left for extended periods in UV light and still looks and feels new (not frayed, stiff, cracked etc...) it should be fine.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
I replace mine every time I fall - never replaced one yet! My SOP harness still looks new - except the label

Offline Coop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
I just watched the DVD that came with my LoneWolf and it says harness have an expiration date and should always be replaced if past that date. I always just figured if I didn't fall then they were still safe to use. I have a HSS vest and I don't plan to replace it unless I fall.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do"

-Mike

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
The harnesses we use at work only get replaced after a fall or if the is actual damage to the webbing or stitching. They are used everyday for 8-10 hours. The one I have now is over 10 years old. If your has not taken fall inspect it for wear.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Offline sgrogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
ttt

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
Never. I don't wear one. Not too afraid of falling out of my ground blind   :bigsmyl:  

Duane
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline JSimon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 01:22:00 PM »
I believe that the manufacturer's recommendation is a big catch-all for liability issues. I think the tag on my treesaddle says to replace everything after 3 years or you risk death by using it. There is no way I'm going to replace it after three years unless there is visible damage to some part of it, but I might consider replacing it after 10 years depending on how much I use it. They have to put something on it so that people don't think it's OK to use a 50 year old harness. In my case, they probably picked 3 years because it would be nearly impossible to wear it out in that time, but if someone used it every day for more than three years, they may wear it out.

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
If I had doubts , I would replace it. You have to trust your gear.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
It is recommended to replace seat belts if you are involved in an accident. I would think the stress from a fall would be reason to change your harness.

Besides, you probably soiled the thing something awfull!  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©