3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Differences between recurves and longbows  (Read 822 times)

Offline boog21

• Trad Bowhunter
Differences between recurves and longbows
« on: September 13, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
I've always shot recurves - been thinking about trying a longbow, and I have a few questions:

1.  Are there significant differences between how recurves and longbows shoot?  

2.  Somewhere I've gotten the impression that I'll need to shoot a heavier draw longbow to get the same performance I get from my recurve - is this true?

3.  Any suggestions for a starter longbow?

Thanks!

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Differences between recurves and longbows
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
Considering the line between the curve and longbow has been blurred, there is more to this. A longbow can be built with a recurve grip but generally, a curve will have more mass weight. As far as performance goes, I have shot some LB's that smoke an arrow. If your moving from a curve to a LB, you may want to look at a R/D TD LB with a curve grip to get you started. I also prefer a curve and tend to open up my shots if I have to shoot with a broken wrist grip. Most bowyers will offer both recurve and LB limbs for their TD models. Good luck with your search.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
i suggest you try a mohawk at first as they are very reasonably priced and shoot very well.i have three b/w takedown recurves and have pretty much quit shooting them in favor of my mohawk one piece l/b.not to be bragging but i am pretty deadly out to forty yds with it.my groups are tighter by far,in a nutshell longbows are more forgiving and just seem to shoot better groups.vince at mohawk will make your grip any size,i had him make mine as large as he could and i shoot it much better. hope this helps you out.jmho.......larry
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline nate c

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
+1 for Vince @ Mohawk.

I chrony'd mine today - 172 fps with a 505gr arrow.  That is fast enough for me.
64" Mohawk TD 55#@29.5

Offline boog21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
Thanks, fellas.  Very helpful.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »
If you try a well built RD longbow, you will find that on average, it faster, lighter, quieter, stronger, and no handshock.
The reputation of them being more difficult to shoot is old and antequated. For the most part, my customers that switch over to longbows don't swith back.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Basinboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »
I've been told they were more difficult to shoot!
I had my sights set on a one piece LB, but after hearing this several times I ordered a TD recurve. I hope to get to shoot a LB someday to see for myself.
Primal Tech Longbow 42#@26” 62” amo
Palmer Longbow 43#@26" 62" amo
Zona T/D Recurve 48@26" 58" amo
Osage Selfbow 38#@26” 64” amo

PBS Associate Member
Compton Member

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »
In general, longbows are said to be more "forgiving" of the archer's form variations, which is helpful in hunting. But there are so many variables- I think the grip style is more important than whether the tips recurve or not.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
I have had a recurve before I made the switch to longbows exclusively. The only thing that I really had to get used to is the grip. I have to use more of the heel of my hand to be consistant. Other then that there was no issues. You just have to get used to the bow and yoy will be fine..
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
Often folks feel the urge to try something new. IMHO you'll shoot best whichever you prefer. That leaves a lot of scoot room with longbows. That is; grip, straight vs R/D, speed/performance, rest, finger position, etc. 31 years ago I switched to straight handled heavier & longer longbows for good. Never a regret.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
depends on what you like.  and thats about it these days.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline boog21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
I'm left handed.  I once shot a friend's right handed longbow off my knuckle.  The hand shock was so bad the thing almost came out of my hand.  I don't know what kind of bow it was, or if shooting a right handed bow left handed made the hand shock worse, but the experience made me think longbows weren't for me.  Generally speaking, is hand shock worse in longbows than recurves, or does it just depend on the bow?

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
As mentioned, there's little difference between a good recurve and a good hybrid, since limb designs are not all that far apart. What I consider a longbow, mild d/r or straight limb, will be different than a recurve, but both can be shot very well with little worry.

Offline boog21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
Thanks, George and everyone else.  I appreciate the information.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
I go back and forth from LB to recurve and don't really have a problem getting back into it with either one. Just have to fling a 1/2 dozen to get myself tuned in and it's on from their. I really like the hybrids, seems like alot of them have more snap and are harder hitting JMO
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
boog21, hand shock is a problem with poorly tillered bows. Get a good one, and they are smooth.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
Are we talking hybrid or longbow? I believe that all the bow styles can be shot equally well with practice but if you are going from a recurve to a hybrid with a pistol grip etc. then I don't think there will be an appreciable difference-they're as much or more "modified recurves" in my opinion as they are longbows -it's why they're called hybrids. Nothing wrong with shooting a hybrid-I am not putting them down, but we need to define what we are really describing if the questioner is asking us to compare and contrast the differences-are we talking a "Howard Hill" or a "Bob Lee?"
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
I have a Hill style longbow with mild reflexed limbs and indexed grip. I also have a full blown hybrid longbow with more reflex in the limbs and a pistol grip. And I have a recurve with a standard medium grip.

I enjoy shooting them all, and I switch all all the time.

The big difference for me is the range at which my groups start to expand greatly and I get "flyers".

Longbow max effective range is 15yd.
Hybrid max effective range is 20yd.
Recurve max effective range is 25yd.

This is my observation on my target range. In deer hunting situations I have never taken a shot past 15yd even with a recurve.

My 2 cents. Longbows are a lot more fun to shoot but when I want to get really serious I go for the recurve.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline boog21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Thanks, everyone for your thoughts.  I'm getting a longbow education!

Don, I've seen the word "tillered" quite a lot here on Tradgang, but I don't know what it means.  Could you or someone else give me a quick explanation?

Curveman, before I posted my questions I didn't realize there were so many variations on what might be called "longbows."  What I think I'm hearing from everyone is that as long as I choose a good quality bow, be it longbow or hybrid, I shouldn't have too much trouble adjusting to it.  Would you agree, or are you saying a more traditional style longbow would take more getting used to?

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
boog, tillering refers to balancing the bend and the mass in the limbs so that they are timed together when the bow is shot. If the timing is off from poor tillering, the bow vibrates more and jumps around in your hand. The vibrations are what's called hand shock.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©