3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's the best mosquito dope that doesn't smell,or doesn't spook the deer?  (Read 753 times)

Offline Bowjangle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I didn't think there really was a Mos. Dope that didn't smell,but read a book by an expert the other day that said to be sure and use a non- smelling dope. Is there such a thing and if so what and where do you get it?
 I'm in the deep South and opening bow season will be hot and have lots of mosquitoes if you go in the "bottoms", particularly if damp.
  Now I know you tough guys will say don't use any and just tough it out - like a true indian. Well,first, you ain't got my kind of skeeters. Second, I've done that plenty and its miserable-especially if you don't see any deer.
 Third,I'm older now and want a pleasant hunt. Fouth, lots of Indians used bear grease and other smelly stuff and just stayed downwind. Problem - in my area the wind shifts too much to get away with that for very long  most days.
 So, what systems do you guys use? Does that electronic dragon fly sound really work?
Charles in Louisiana

Offline Brian Gillispie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's the best mosquito dope that doesn't smell,or doesn't spook the deer?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »
Thermacell first and last word

works very well
Spinning faster round the pole. Soon to old from chasing gold. Young hands wrinkle, hearts to stone. Dust to dust and ashes cold

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 12:29:00 AM »
Second the Thermacell for skeeters, knats, and other annoying flying critters.

For chiggers and ticks I use Repel Permanone.

Offline Bowjangle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 12:39:00 AM »
That shows you how great this site is. I went into a Cabela's store and a Bass Pro store within  the last 2 weeks and asked the clerk (in bow hunting dept.) if there was anything new in non-smelling  mosquito repellant or something deer didn't notice and both told me nothing was available yet!!

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 01:15:00 AM »
The people at Bass Pro stores (never been to a Cabela's store) have never impressed me.  Nothing against BP, I just stopped asking questions about ANYTHING there a long time ago.

The Repel Permanone is GREAT stuff for non-flying pests.   It's OK for the buggers that fly, not nearly as good as the 100% DEET stuff that smells to high heaven though.

You can make your own too...go to some store that caters to people who raise livestock.  Ask for "permethrin" a cap full to a whole spray bottle is plenty.  It's neat to watch two clear liquids combine into a milk-like white.  

I use to just spray it on my skin...then I read up on it!!!!  Now I just spray on my clothes and it works fine.

I'll be buying a Thermacell very soon as well, since I've not heard a bad thing about it yet on outdoor boards.
Micah 6:8

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 02:38:00 AM »
Thermacell works, friend. in S. AL and S. MS., it works. it'll work in LA too.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline ArcticArcher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 03:16:00 AM »
Another vote for Thermacell, I used it while I was stationed in Missouri and now that I've moved back to Alaska, I am sold on it.  I also agree about the Permanone, just use it on your clothes.  Thankfully no ticks or chiggers up here in Alaska
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 06:04:00 AM »
Thermacell.

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 06:11:00 AM »
THERMACELL....
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 06:12:00 AM »
Thermacell

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »
I will add cutter advanced to the list, you can apply it to your skin, after it dries no odor and works fairly well, but not as well as deet. Apply before heading into the woods for the walk to your stand before you fire up the thermacell. Permanone is great applied to clothing ONLY for ticks and redbugs.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 08:25:00 AM »
It really doesn't matter. If he smells your bug dope, he's gonna smell you anyway........
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline flounder pounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
Another vote for Thermacell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
do the thermacells make a scentless insert??? because the thermacells i have had in camp had such a strong odor. i hear they are great for repelling the bugs but id rather eat a mouth full of skeeters than spook a big buck.  the insert was "earth scent", the only problem is that "earth" in georgia or california or wherever doesnt smell like earth in mn. i hear good things about peramone...Barry Wensel had a post about the stuff a while back

Offline GG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
I agree with Biggie. If the wind is wrong your busted no matter what you use.

Offline Shooty1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »
A $9 mesh face mask/hood. I was never a fan of them until the mosquitoes went crazy this year. That's presuming that the skeeters can't bite through your clothes.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
The Thermacell does work...

However,  the odor it gives off will spook hogs and probably deer..

Wind direction has a lot to do with how bad it spooks game, --- how's that Biggie?

Around here a lot of hunting is done over "bait stations", generally corn feeders..  Most mature animals quickly learn to circle downwind before coming in... In other words, if the conditions are wrong, you're screwed ! Unless you set up a stand 60-70 yards downwind of the bait even then the TCell may give you away!  But I've often been in the woods when the mosquitos were so bad I wouldn't have been able to sit had it not been for the TCell...

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
Thermacell dont leave home without it....
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
Thermacell works great in south georgia and alabama for me. And to be redundant, if they smell the 'cell, they have smelled you.    :)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
I've had great luck with the Repel Permanone. Particularly effective on ticks and chiggars. Unfortunately the local WalMart stores do not have it in stock. It appears that a 40% Deet repellent made by Repel has taken its shelf space. Makes me think there is a problem with Permanone and they had to stop production. Who knows. Find something that works on the bugs and the enviromental folks look for ways to ban it. Is anyone else having a problem finding Repel Permanone?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©