3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stands on public land ...  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stands on public land ...
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Anyone who hunts from someone else's stand without permission deserves whatever he gets, except a deer! It's just plain rude.

I've had stands used by other people or stolen on both public and private property. Makes me angry every time. No, you can't "claim a spot" on public land, but hunters can exercise some common courtesy.

When you find someone else's stand, you don't know the stand owner's situation, and unless it's abandoned and unused, it should be left alone if it's there legally. Unused stands accumulate leaves and such- it's not to hard to tell if they are currently in use. Move over 50 or 100 yards if you just have to hunt the same area, but who wants to compete with another hunter that close by? It's the risk you take when you hunt somewhere that anyone else can hunt, too.

Public land rudeness is the primary factor in the drive to form a club and lease private land.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
I pull them everytime on public.  Saves alot of headaches, all the ones mentioned above.  I feel it's also a much better hunting tactic on our public areas anyhow.

They make such nice equipement now, if you prepare your stand sites prior to hunting, it really isn't much trouble to hang a stand.  A linemans belt for hands free work and a quality packable light weight stand and sticks....your set.

We have a bunch of guys at one place I hunt who like to claim and defend "their" public area from other hunters.     :rolleyes:    

Funny thing is, it's a place where you have to pull your stands every time you hunt.  Our game officer has a GPS and is now starting to establish a nice collection of treestands.  He leaves them a nice note to.   :D
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Don Stokes:
Anyone who hunts from someone else's stand without permission deserves whatever he gets, except a deer! It's just plain rude.
Agreed.  Now will you admit that anyone that hangs his stand for weeks at a time on public land is also rude?  It monopolizes areas that others also have the same right to hunt.

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
Exactly my point. I have been to one public area that allows this and there are stands everywhere. There must have been 7 or 8 stands surrounding a 15 acre field. Not one person there hunting any of them. And I'm not supposed to hunt there cause someone might show up??
Bowtough I have never heard of the fee thing here in IL. Who or where are they doing this?
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
waknstak Il, I was told that this appeared in our area newspaper.I am in the shelbyville Il area. Hunt alot around lake shelbyville on dnr ground. I tried to find it on the dnr website but could not.I was also told by an area farmer who lives around the lake that they hired college kids to walk around looking for existing stands.This is all new to me as well. Supposedly they are issuing different permits for your particular stuation. Also there is a two stand limit.

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by JohnV:
It is more likely to avoid the time and noise required to set up and take down a stand each time you go into the woods.
Sounds like laziness to me.

Originally posted by GingivitisKahn:
Now will you admit that anyone that hangs his stand for weeks at a time on public land is also rude?  It monopolizes areas that others also have the same right to hunt.
You'll never get it I tried in vain in last years thread.    :banghead:
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
No, Kahn, I don't have to admit that. I guess you and I are just gonna disagree on this.  Maybe you think that you are claiming the spot, but I and many others do not feel that way about it.  Just because I or someone else leaves a stand hanging on public ground DOES NOT mean that we are trying to claim a spot.  It just means that we made a legal decision to leave a stand there.  When I figure I've made my last sit there for the season, I'll take the stand out with me then.  Anyone else is more than welcome and well within their rights to hunt the same spot if they get there before me.  Basic courtesy says that they shouldn't sit in my stand and that the spot belongs to the first hunter there.

If you want to call me to task on this, come on out to Site M and hang your stand next to mine and see if I get upset when I show up.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
[/QUOTE]Sounds like laziness to me.

Not to attack you, or disrespect you.  Have you ever really tried to hang a stand before?

You will stink up the woods and make enough noise to scare anything within a half a mile.  

Also you really don't even want to get into how unsafe it is to hang, and take down a stand when it is pitch black outside.
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2009, 03:00:00 PM »
Ethics----- It can't be forced on you, its a personal belief.  Its going to be different for everyone of us.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »

Originally posted by Don Stokes:
Agreed.  Now will you admit that anyone that hangs his stand for weeks at a time on public land is also rude?  It monopolizes areas that others also have the same right to hunt. [/b]
Just a clarification, I don't think there's anything wrong with you hanging a stand in the SAME TREE as someone who leaves theirs out overnight.  It's public ground, everyone has the right to use it.

Climbing into someone else's stand is something else entirely.  That stand is private property, period.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
If I hunt public land I'm surprised if I don't see evidence of someone else hunting, including stands left in the woods. You just deal with it. Hunt the area like you own it. You do. So does the hunter who left the other stand in "your" spot.

But stay out of mine, please. Bring your own stand, put it up next door, and we can video each other shooting deer.   :)
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
AMEN Don     :clapper:

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by Fletcher:
No, Kahn, I don't have to admit that. I guess you and I are just gonna disagree on this.  Maybe you think that you are claiming the spot, but I and many others do not feel that way about it.  Just because I or someone else leaves a stand hanging on public ground DOES NOT mean that we are trying to claim a spot.  It just means that we made a legal decision to leave a stand there.  When I figure I've made my last sit there for the season, I'll take the stand out with me then.  Anyone else is more than welcome and well within their rights to hunt the same spot if they get there before me.  Basic courtesy says that they shouldn't sit in my stand and that the spot belongs to the first hunter there.

If you want to call me to task on this, come on out to Site M and hang your stand next to mine and see if I get upset when I show up.
I wouldn't do that to you.  That would be rude of me.  I'd be more apt to share some snacks with you or something.   :)

Some folks (like you, for instance and many here, I'd imagine) that leave stands don't see it as claiming a spot.  That's great but many of the rest of us see the stand hanging there and feel we need to move along (either to be nice or to avoid a possible confrontation or whatever).

Whether the stand leavers intend to claim a spot or not, my point is - that's exactly what is being done.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by Deadsmple:

Now will you admit that anyone that hangs his stand for weeks at a time on public land is also rude?  It monopolizes areas that others also have the same right to hunt.
You'll never get it I tried in vain in last years thread.      :banghead:   [/b]
No need to be snippy.  I get it - I just disagree with you.  On the other hand, you also hunt with trad gear so as far as I know - I agree with you on twice as many things as I disagree on.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2009, 05:58:00 PM »
I have to wonder if the bow season was for traditional bows only; if this would even be an issue.....
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brian Krebs:
I have to wonder if the bow season was for traditional bows only; if this would even be an issue.....
Why wouldn't it?

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
Well I'll tell ya, when I see a climbing stand chained to the base of a tree ... that's just lazy.

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
Find another tree.  It's been this way for years since people found another way to hunt up in a tree other than using branches to stand on.  When I see a stand in a tree chained up or otherwise, I just get pissed and move on.  I only get pissed because I have to go further, not because the person claimed the spot.  It is first come first served as far as I am concerned.  Whoever put the stand up did their scouting and work.  Why would I want to bust up their hunting?  When they are done they will take it down and move.  I would rather see someone enjoy a spot for a few hunts than to be a prick and make them hunt once and move.  I would rather see them have a nicer hunt because they did not have to put the stand up everyday and risk falling to do so.  Sometimes we leave stands chained up to use tomorrow but cannot get to the woods for some reason.  Sometimes we are just plain lazy.  Its just as lazy to stand around and bitch about it rather than move on down the trail.  I do draw the line on someone setting up in a tree next to me while I am occupying the stand.  I will also draw the line on someone occupying MY treestand.  I will state again: It is not rude to leave a stand in the woods to hunt another day.  It has been this way from the time we put stands up by nailing lumber to trees.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Three Arrows:
Find another tree.  It's been this way for years since people found another way to hunt up in a tree other than using branches to stand on.  When I see a stand in a tree chained up or otherwise, I just get pissed and move on.  I only get pissed because I have to go further, not because the person claimed the spot.  It is first come first served as far as I am concerned.  Whoever put the stand up did their scouting and work.  Why would I want to bust up their hunting?  When they are done they will take it down and move.  I would rather see someone enjoy a spot for a few hunts than to be a prick and make them hunt once and move.  I would rather see them have a nicer hunt because they did not have to put the stand up everyday and risk falling to do so.  Sometimes we leave stands chained up to use tomorrow but cannot get to the woods for some reason.  Sometimes we are just plain lazy.  Its just as lazy to stand around and bitch about it rather than move on down the trail.  I do draw the line on someone setting up in a tree next to me while I am occupying the stand.  I will also draw the line on someone occupying MY treestand.  I will state again: It is not rude to leave a stand in the woods to hunt another day.  It has been this way from the time we put stands up by nailing lumber to trees.
That's just the thing.  I've also scouted the spot and maybe so have you.  Just because someone hangs his stand there doesn't mean he's gotten there first (unless, of course, he's actually in the stand).  It just means he's left his stuff.

Where I hunt (central Ohio) I'll estimate that for every stand I've seen with a hunter in it, I've seen 20 empty ones.  Just leaving the thing there for weeks at a time because that guy wants to use it first day of gun season has the effect of denying that spot to many of the rest of us that would also like to use that spot when we are in the woods 2-3 days a week before that.

This past year, for example, my son and I had found a great corner spot where deer funneled from food to bedding.  There were lots of acorns as well and a great blowdown that made a natural blind to hide in.  Each of us had used the spot in the first couple of weeks of the season and then - a month before gun season someone hangs a ladder stand.

I never did see anyone there (even during gun season) but for the rest of the season, I had to move along - didn't want to be a jerk, didn't want to mess up "another's spot" (though we had hunted it first) and didn't want the hassle.  I'm just saying that (leaving that stand there) is a crappy way to behave.  It's rude.

Offline Davo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
Here in WI we can not leave our stands overnight. So if you do leave you are at risk of coming back to missing stand or a grumpy warden.  I have never experienced either but we have come back to missing parts on stands that had we not noticed the climber would have come apart during the climb.  I have also had guys sit or stand literally 50 yards right in front of me and refuse to move becuase its public land or "we gotta drive coming through" That's why I enjoy bowhunting, less idiots, and 1/3 the hunters. Screw in anything is also illegal, cutting shooting lanes or trees if alive as well. We just try to use good judgement, leave others hunt in peace, and leave little trace of our being there.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."  The Duke

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©