3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fall Mushrooms and scouting/stump shooting  (Read 1286 times)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Fall Mushrooms and scouting/stump shooting
« on: September 14, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
Don't forget to keep a eye out for your favorite fall mushrooms while stump shooting and scouting. This seems to be a good year and these are some of the largest Chanterelle's I have ever found.

You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fall Mushrooms and scouting/stump shooting
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 05:42:00 PM »
This is about half of what I picked and I caution everybody do not eat mushrooms unless you no 100% what you are doing. There's plenty of books out there with great pictures and explanations on hundreds of different types of mushrooms.

You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »
I picked these out because they are about the average size that I find. Chanterelle's have a mild taste and have very sweet smell when there cooking.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
Bottom side!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
This is how they look in the woods growing wild, Pretty hard to miss them really if you have them in your neck of the woods.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
Close up view!

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
"Hen of the woods" is another of my favorite fall mushrooms. They grow later in the season perfect for bow hunters. October and November is when most are found.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
They can get quite large but have great camo in the woods. I don't know these gentelmen but they were walking down the road right by were I hunt them. They seemed shocked that I knew what kind of mushroom they were. The guy on the left is a president of some mushroom group from around here and was quite excited over there find.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
They like to grow at the base of dead and dying hardwood tree's.

So while your out there scouting,stump shooting or hunting keep a eye out for nature's bounty. Again, Please make sure you get a good mushroom book and study up on them first before you harvest any mushrooms so you don't pick the wrong kinds.

Tracy

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
Those would be real good sauteed, and put over some antelope steaks!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Tracy. I knew what the Chanterelle's looked like but wasn't sure about the Hen of the woods. I've never seen any of the Hen of the woods fresh but have never looked for them in the fall either.

Do You slice them and fry "em like Morels?

Offline GANGGREEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
Excellent.  We've had one of the best years ever for chanties but I think that they're over.  I picked some smooth chanties (I think that's what you have pictured) last night and they were starting to dry out.  We hardly ever see the hens in my neck of the woods but I'll be paying close attention for chicken mushrooms (sulphur shelves) and stumpies (honey mushrooms) for the coming weeks.
Northwind Sage 60" 52#
Shakespeare Kaibab 58" 45#
Shakespeare X-26 55" 40#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
I shy away from picking wild mushrooms, I don't know what the heck I'm doing.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
Nice photos, I have had some picked by guys who knew what they were doing.....and they were very very good. Cooked with red onions and garlic over venison chops....yum'o!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
I don't know what the heck I'm doing with mushrooms but check out this massive puffball I found Saturday...

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
Man those are some nice shrooms! I just found a clump of chicken mushrooms. I like the oysters in particular. Brick tops, chantrelles....man nothing better than venison and mushrooms.

Great advice about being careful. I have a book(peterson's field guide) and the best way to ID mushrooms is by spore printing. Easy enough to do, and well worth the time and effort.

Cool thread.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
That is funny.  The guy on the right is a good friend of my wife.  She is from Lawrence.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
Them puffballs are great eating, never had the hen of the woods or the chantels. I'll be looking from now on. Pick the tar out of morels in the spring but don't eat'em just give to the oldtimers that can get out pick'em anymore. thay sure do love'em.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
what part of Kansas are you from? I grew up in Manhattan and have only rarely seen chantrelles..
Lucas
Lucas Kent

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
I forgot about the sulfer shelf but I haven't found any in my woods. They taste great my boss brings a couple in every year, Finds them around a old apple tree stump in his neighbor's yard.

Thanks Ron,Brett the hard part is finding the hen's because unless there overly large they blend in very well but are so worth it if you find them. All the ones we find are on Oak trees mostly dead ones but some living.

Jim I have a picture of a puffball that my son and I found last year. That thing was huge but to far gone to eat I will look for it.

Tracy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©