3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone using a "Dead Sled" or >?????  (Read 377 times)

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone using a "Dead Sled" or >?????
« on: September 15, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
I'm looking information from hunters who have used the "Dead Sled" or something like it.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0035361227679a.shtml

Sometimes I have help with an ATV, lots of times I don't and dragging is my only option.

Getting old, yet hopefully getting smarter so looking for help with the EASIEST way to drag a deer out alone.

Either those that have experience with the Dead Sled or know of anything like it, I'll be greatly appeciative of any information you have on them or whatever you use.

Anyone having one that upgraded to a four wheeler that would swap it off for something please send me A PM?

God Bless and safe hunting, gang!
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline ThomastaylorIII

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone using a "Dead Sled" or >?????
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
I used a red Ryder wagon once..... Funny pictures for sure!!!
Only forgiveness will finally end this,
There won't be a witness if we both fall, Theres never a hero in a battle of evil, there's never a winner of the quick draw.

Offline Gottabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
I've been using one for years now.  I hunt quite aways back in the woods and wouldn't do without it.  Its easier than dragging on the bare ground...with a little wet leaves it is a very noticable difference..with snow on the ground it will chase ya down the hill.  In my opinion its a great investment.  I have also tried the carts but when ya get back in the sticks and logs it got very tipsy and was more work than it was a help.  The dead sled ya just thow it on your back and ya go...hope this helps.

Offline Gottabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
By the way..sportsman guide has them also.

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
Thanks guys. Ive been sitting here reading the feedback on them and see the biggest trouble some had was the strap tearing loose.

One would think that attaching the pull rope to the DEER would solve that?

My biggest nemisis is a standing corn field and I have very few hills to worry about, or rocks.

One would think that a buck on this tied in right would slip down a corn row pretty slick.

Appreciate the replies!

Offline Dave Earley

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
buy one.  the new ones are better quality, and on ground you describe it should work great.  Have used these and the two wheel carts, and I went back to the sled because I got tired of the carts tipping when it went over a log.  

If the deer is too big, or the hill too tall, remove the tenderloins (so you don't cut them in half) and cut the deer in half ahead of the hips and make two trips
Dave Earley

"Papa shoot arrows at deer, we eat tasty steaks !"  Matt, my 3 yr old grandson.
Leon Stewart Slammer 64"  55#

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
Good suggestion, Dave but... IF I shot a "big deer" rest assured Ill have plenty of help.

I have family that is available to help "when it's convenient". Through the years it seems when I shoot a doe or meat buck, it's not convenient yet if a decent one (to them), " oh yeah? Be RIGHT there!" . LOL

Getting older and more "crotchety" every year and might not call IF IT IS a nice one.

I like the big old bucks but the thrill of taking any adult deer with my recurve has not lessened any over the years.

I'll probably order one next monday and most certainly do appreciate the feedback, guys.

God Bless

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
On the one that I have [ded sled] the instuctions
show to wrap the pull strap around the deer's neck----then out the slot at the front of the sled. Really works well once you get the deer loaded---and keeps things a lot cleaner---even in the pickup. ELF.

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
I have used an older model several times, works great.  Much easier to drag.  One thing though, lay the deer on it's side in the sled, not the back like in the ad.  And gravel roads will tear it up after a while.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Go to REI and buy one of their expedition sleds.  These are a tobbogan like sled - not a kids toy as they are made from much heavier grade vinyl.  I have used one for several years and they are great.  They slide over everything.  Several of us have this and we refer to it as the "deer bucket".

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
I used a new "DEADSLED" last week for Bear I arrowed.It worked good.
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Made a wheeled deer cart last year for the 1st time. Makes too much sense. Anything beats dragging or carrying an animal especially over distance.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
Sleds work good with or without snow. I you have a buck to get out put the head to the rear so the rack doesn't catch on trees and branches. Also stand inside the rope and put it across your waist. Then just lean into it. If I have a helper I have a strap that I run through the rope so the helper can be in front and pull also. Two horse hitch with on in front of the other.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
If I am hunting on public ground where I can't drive, I have gone to boning the meat out just like an elk. I have to do it when I get home anyway and it makes it alot easier than dragging 1/2 mile.

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
Thanks to all, again.

Lots of great help and ideas. Boning isn't an option in IN. Within 48 hours the whole deer has to be at a check in station to be legal. You can field dress it but that's it.

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Really like mine. Used it last year and worked great. Bought another one on sale after the season
BD

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
How's it going Steve? Hap

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
I do what Ringneck does. I can't see dragging all that deer that I'm not going to eat. I leave all the scraps and bones for the coyotes. A deer doesn't have all that much meat on it. Easy to carry. I started doing this with elk. It's the only way to do it. Way easier. You just have to be set up with a headlamp for after dark with extra batteries and don't be in a hurry. Elk will take a few trips but deer won't unless you kill a monster. Gary

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
I keep an older one in the hunting rig all season.  Also have access to a couple of ice fishing sleds they work well too.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
I have one of those plastic Kids sleds, works well, cheap(10.00) and a heck of a lot easier to manuever than the deer cart I bought.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©