3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any deer down in MO?  (Read 2247 times)

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any deer down in MO?
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2009, 06:45:00 AM »
I had my bubble burst late saturday morning. I was on my way to that big rub when i came upon a truck that belonged to one of my relatives. I figured that they might be hunting so i cut staight through the timber toward the rub with camera in hand. The closer that i got to the rub the more i could hear voices. Got within 60yds of the rub and that's where they were at. They were freshening up the rub that THEY MADE!!! I stood there listening to themn talk and they were goinging on about how they were going to everyone into believing that there was a huge buck in a certain spot where there wasn't. Talk about a huge let down! Good thing is that i was able to get a few decent pics of them and my two second cousins should be getting them for an early christmas present. Wished that i could see their faces when they get them.

Besides all of that, I didn't see much of anything. Pulled in the drive at work about an hour ago and there was a buck chasing does around. Maybe i Will get another chance this weekind.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
Hope you guys are saving me a couple.  I'm heading out to northeast MO tomorrow for a long weekend to set up then I'll be back to hunt the first week of November.  Looking forward to hunting a new area!  I gained access to around 700 acres in Macon county this summer but I've only been able to get out there for one day in July so this is kind of going in cold turkey.  Will be interesting to see what I get into.

R

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
Ryan,

I could give you a hand with the scouting if you will send me directions to the place.  :)
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
Good bucks in Macon Co,and usually has the largest kill on deer AND turkey in this area. Go get em Ryan!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: October 24, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Had a little seven pointer at 6 yards this morning. My freezer is pretty full so he got to walk. Man the woods are alive with fall this morning!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
I haven't been since I got back from AZ, and I got some new property to look into, but no time to do anything. Ah!

Anyways, good deal guys.
Oh and congrats on all those critters Onestringer!

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
WoodseyDave and I went to some pub. ground in northern Mo.  Dave saw a small 8 in the morning and at 4pm I had a small doe at 30yrds.  Started to rain and we had to break for it.  We were at the bottom of a mud hill and needed to make sure we could get out.  Otherwise, no telling what we could have seen.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
Wished I could be out there with you guys. Me and my wife have our hands full right now. Our three month old daughter is starting to cut her teeth and we haven't been getting much sleep here lately. I just wished that she didn't have to grow soooooo fast! Good news is, she loves to watch hunting movies with me!!! My wife said that I may get to go on halloween, so I will keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully the next time I go I get one. Wish ya'll luck!

Matt

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2009, 08:16:00 PM »
Had a good buck run a doe about 80 yds out of the brush into a crp field Sat nite. Rattled/grunted him back to 17 yds. Had I done my part,I'd have pics right now.....

Now I'm countin vacation days to see what I have left.....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline RSB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
Just found this thread, shot this buck in macon county on oct. 1st  

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
WOW! Good job RSB.
Congrats!

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2009, 07:41:00 AM »
Nice buck RSB!

Offline goodolboy94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
hey RSB me and two of my training wheel buddies will be up in macon county nov 9-13 trying to sneak in before the orange army invades, it's good to see that a trad guy can get it done on a big deer hopefully I can have the same luck as you did how far was the shot were you in a tree stand or off the ground?
every mourn brought forth a noble chance, and every chance brought forth a noble knight-wiston churchhill

Offline RSB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
I shot this buck out of tree stand about 5 or 6 yards.  The week before rifle season is always the best hunting.  Good luck!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
Great job Ron!! Do you live in Macon?
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline RSB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2009, 07:10:00 AM »
Yes, I live in macon.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Well guys, Gonna need some crossed fingers from you all tonight/tomorrow.

Shot a buck tonight about 20 minutes before dark. Eight or nine yard shot, slightly quartering away but not much. Shot was perfect left and right but hit a bit high. I'd say that if you went straight up from the crease behind the elbow to a point maybe 5 inches down from the back, that's where I hit. Problem is, I'm pretty certain I hit the off side shoulder and did NOT get an exit wound. Looked like about 18 or 20 inches of shaft still sticking out as he ran off.

My arrows are 32 1/4" to BOP so penetration of about 12-14 inches plus say, 2 more inches for the head itself. Very possible I punched through the near side shoulder blade I guess. Arrows are Heritage 350's with 125gr. Magnus two blade (hair shaving sharp) and 100gr. brass inserts. Bow is 60# @30" and I pull 31+ inches.

Did a cursory walk around 30-40 minutes after the shot and found zero blood, no arrow. The arrow appeared to be firmly implanted as he ran off. Found dug in tracks and kicked up leaves in a couple spots but I only had a little led headlamp and a LED pen light that takes one AA battery.

The old "If in doubt back out" saying came to mind.

Unless there is some way I only one lunged him, (I don't think so but for sure high lung on the near side) I think I'll walk right to him in the morning. I hope so.... The timber is fairly open in the direction he ran. What bothers me is that I didn't find any blood. I can understand not finding any from the high hit but I'd expect that he'd blow some out his nose if lung hit. I think I'll find some tomorrow in the daylight.

Good thing is, the kids don't have school tomorrow and they can come along and help look in the morning.

So, wish me luck!

Oh yea, the buck.

He's nothing big for a rack but seemed to have quite a plump and tasty looking body. Something like 6,7 or 8 point, kinda spindly and maybe a 12 inch spread. With starting a new job only two months ago, no vacation coming and being stuck on 2nd shift with middle of the week off days, I didn't expect to have much time to hunt this year so the plan from the start was to take the first shot that came along.

--------------------
Dave
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2009, 10:30:00 PM »
Keep us posted Dave. I hope you find him shortly.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
I passed on two yearlings tonight.  Maybe come Jan if I don't have any deer meat this may have been a mistake. I just can't get myself to kill "this years deer".  

I am happy to be hunting and seeing deer.  The chase is what really matters.

Dave,

You will find him stone dead in the morning.  Let us know.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
Hope u get him Dave.

Post some pictures when u do.

Chris