3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any deer down in MO?  (Read 2248 times)

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any deer down in MO?
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2009, 11:39:00 PM »
Sounds like a dead deer to me Dave.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2009, 12:46:00 AM »
Sounds like a good shot Dave.
Good luck tracking tomorrow...
Paul

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2009, 03:30:00 AM »
:banghead:     "[dntthnk]"
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
Dave, and now we need to know ( the rest of the story )
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: October 30, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
With all the rain yesterday I'm sure it made for tough tracking.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
Short version, no blood, no deer.  Forced to re-evaluate what I "thought" I saw in penetration.  

I did a google search yesterday of "whitetail deer anatomy" and one of the very first sites that came up had pictures of two deer hit pretty much identical to mine.  Arrows still in them and the deer alive.  If you do the same search, you'll see what I mean.  Looks like I probably hit the near shoulder blade root area.  Super thick bone.  I could have sworn I got more penetration than that but playing it back in my mind, I wonder if maybe I had some small case of seeing what I wanted to instead of what was really there.  That, or perhaps the arrow was at an angle and not perpendicular to the deers body and that would make it look shorter to me.  Not to mention the deer was running like heck to get out of there.  Lastly, if I'd gone through the shoulder blade or just barely missed it, I imagine the arrow would have been almost immediately snapped off when the deer ran due to movement of the shoulder blade and that didn't happen.  Hopefully, he's not still running around with the arrow in him.  If it IS a shoulder blade hit, I expect he'll recover soon.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
Well I finally saw a doe for the first time this year, 4 of them as a matter of fact followed by a buck. They never got close enough to even think about shooting. I was beginning to think that all the does in Christian County had been shot.  :)
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline rambo1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
RSB what bow was that you killed your buck with
Black widow 2007 PSR 2 T/D recurve 60" 48#@28"
Bear kodiak hunter 1pc. 50x#@28" 60" style recurve
Kota Prairie Swift 1pc. 53#@28" 60"
Samick Leopard recurve T/D 50#@28" 60"

Offline RSB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
Well, after a couple of hard-knock seasons, I finally closed the deal on a little buck last night.  Unfortunately, the hit was too far forward.  Ended up hitting him just in front of the left shoulder.  I waited an hour before starting the track.  Had very good blood for over a quarter mile, but then we found where he'd bedded and clotted up.  We followed small drops, then specks after that for another 100 yards or so and lost the trail.  I went to bed with a sick feeling, but hoping to find him this morning.

Got back out early this AM, but didn't find any new blood where we lost it last night.  Knowing the property as well as I do, I thought I'd check some likely travel routes and hope for the best.  

I should probably mention at this point, that the deer I shot was a little buck I'd seen on a couple of occasions, the latest sighting being yesterday morning as I was moving the stand I eventually shot him from.  He had five points on a side, but the opposite horn was deformed into a slightly palmated spike.  Last blood was going away from it, but I had a pretty good idea where his favorite hide-out was, so after a couple hours of fruitless walking, I went to his brushy bedroom and started a grid search.

Found him fairly quickly after I started walking the bedding area.  Much to my dismay, the coyotes had their way with him last night.  There really wasn't anything salvagable as far as meat goes.  I'd heard the coyotes yipping last night in that direction, and my worst fears were realized.  After inspecting the arrow wound, I'm confident he would not have recovered, but it just wasn't a good enough hit to put him down quickly.

My first traditional bow kill will be a bitter-sweet memory to say the least.  It was an ignoble ending, except I suppose, from the yotes point of view...

This is about the only picture I have that's fit to show.

On another note, the deer here are rutting HARD right now.  In fact, we just started seeing a lot of sign and movement on our farm in the last week.  Firearms season opens Saturday, and I fear the local numbers are going to be reduced dramatically.
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
Curtis,

Sorry to hear about the bitter sweet end but at least you found him.  I have always had luck hunting the gun season with my bow.  Keep after it and see what happens.

Good luck

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline C Kerley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2009, 03:29:00 AM »
Nice deer and GREAT persistence there Curtis.  I don't have it with me, but wait till you see the photo of the deer that got hit by a car in the middle of Springfield's city limits.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
I don't know how to post pictures but I took a 9 pointer last Sun morning. Cedar arrow with 2 blade Magnus I and a 25 yard shot which is stretching it for me. He went about 180-200 yds.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
Just wondering if you guys hunt during gun season. I just move over and let the orange army have it. I have past on alot of deer in the last two seasons. Friday last hunt till the 25th I shot under a very nice mature 8 point at 15 to 20 yards. I was in a ladder stand and position did not allow me to reach full draw. I hit my anchor and let it go, that is when I realized I was not at full draw. A hang on will be placed this weekend. Best deer I have ever seen during a hunt!

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
Guys, I "misplaced" my MO game law pamphlet - what is the deal on Thanksgiving weekend - as I recall the general gun season is over and there is some kind of antlerless season?  Can you still A. bowhunt then (with orange on?) and B. fill an either sex archery tag with a buck?

Thanks for the info - quicker than searching thru the MO website.

Ryan

BTW - killed a big doe the third weekend of Oct when over setting up on the farm in Macon county I have access to.  Hunted there the first week of November, did not see a chase until Nov 5 then a couple days of rut activity that shut down on the weekend when the temps went up.  Saw a BUNCH of 1 1/2 yr old spike/forks and several 2 1/2 yr old 8 pts, a nice 3 1/2 yr old 4X5 and a DANDY mature 8 pt - maybe 150 class.  Needless to say the older bucks did not give me a chance. Thinking of slipping down for a day or two over the Thanksgiving weekend, thus the question.

Thanks again

Ryan

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
Hey Ryan,
A-yes with orange

B- yes,you can take 2 bucks still if you haven't used either of your either sex tags.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: November 17, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »
Thanks Kenny

Ha! 2 bucks...you don't know me very well!  Actually starting out i figured I'd be tickled with one and I tagged the doe with one of my either sex tags.  If I kept the 2 buck tags I think I'd be tempting Karma to kick me in the head!    :smileystooges:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: November 17, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Maybe that is my prob,my head hurts!! LOL
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©