3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any deer down in MO?  (Read 2250 times)

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any deer down in MO?
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
Ethan you bet it was. My heart was in my throat the entire time. Can't wait too go back out this evening.John, those are some REALLY nice bucks. Hate to have one of them close to me. If i did i would probably mess my pants.

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
Nothing this morning, one blew at me on the way out, couldn't see the deer though. On my way back to the woods now. Good hunting guys!

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 06:23:00 AM »
I would like to see how long it takes for someone to take a deer in mo. Seen one yearling late evening yesterday. Changeing area this morning. Good luck guys!

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
I have had four deer into slam dunk longbow kill range the past few days and could not get it done... LOL (see my earlier posts) That is why bowhunting is so much fun.

I am out again after them this evening.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
Surrounded by turkeys this morning, no shots,left where I was sitting and was looking at trees to hang a stand in for the turkeys when the sky went black with them flying back from the hay field they were in. Of course I am standing at the edge of a logging road. Turkeys in the trees all around me. I wait a little bit and start to back up to get in some brush when I see (out of the corner of my eye) a buck walking about 20 some yards from me. Now he has me sighted in but can't tell what I am. Runs across the road and to the ridgetop, wasn't really scared just knew something wasn't right. Well I finish backing up against a tree and the turkeys start falling out of the trees. One walks in and I start whistling to him and he starts towards me, about that time a couple in the trees pitchout to the ridgetop and he follows them. I finally ended up whistling one in and shot over the top of him. Pretty good morning overall.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
That does sounds like a good hunt swp.
I went out lastnight again. A few turkeys came in, but no shots. I've been doing all my hunting on the ground again this year, so I think I'm starting to get the hang of it(I've taken two in the past this way), but it's always exciting nonetheless.

If you you guys would be up for it, maybe we could journal our hunts on this thread.
Might be fun, but it's up to you.

Either way. Go get em' guys!
Ethan

Offline bctgrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
Got out this morning, it was beautiful weather!  Was in the stand about an hour when 3 does walked by at about 25 yards which is about the edge of my comfortable range.  They wandered off behind me and returned about 2 1/2 hours later on the same trail.  They passed right in front of a pair of dead hedge trees.  

Just for grins, before I left the stand I shot one of my Judos at some vegetation at the base of the hedge tree.  

I guess I should have taken the shot at the doe.

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
I got a little wet this morning. Saw the same little spike, he was running with the bigger 4 point that i had seen him with thursday evening. The smaller 4 point must have got his butt whupped to much because i didn't see hide nor hair of him. Didn't see any last night though. Looks like it's going to rain this evening but i'm still going to go.

I will try to keep ya'll updated whenever i get the chance.

Matt

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Steady rain here since appx. 5:20pm... Nice evening in the woods but no deer seen.  

I will hunt again Monday.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
Just got back from CO so tonight was the first nite out for me.  Had a average 8pt at 15 yds, not quite a shooter.  Never rained here but was overcast all evening in Pike Co.  Hope to go to my farm in Gasconade Co mid week and take a skin head.  Good luck to all and take your thermacell.

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2009, 06:15:00 AM »
I sat on stand till 9:00 am and then sneeking. 5 doe 4 turkey no shots. My sons in law's first year trad, so three of the deer I sliped around to push over him. They didn't go buy him, this was at 12:00 pm. The next two were at 1:00pm. Broad side at 25yds sliped back to son in law and he was on hands and knees trying to get a shot. Good hunt and very wet. I be back in the woods in a few. Good hunting guys

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
Got soaked last night and didn't see a thing, but i found 2 rubs. Went out this morning and the fog was thick as pea soup and the wind was swirling pretty bad. I did see a little doe driving back home. That's all that i've seen so far. Going to head back out around 2:00 this after noon. My wife is going too. I hope she gets her first.

Good luck to everyone and hope ya'll get to bring home some vension!

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
Nada for me this AM, foggy but not as bad as longrange's. May go back out this evening and try to cut them off as they go to the corn.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
Went out Thursday afternoon and busted two does coming down the trail at 7:40.
Friday morning i saw a few does in the food plots we put in this year but still waaayy to dark to shoot. Friday afternoon i saw a 8 point that i would've shot at had he been 40-50 yards closer. Then two more does passed by with no light to shoot.
Saturday morning I zipped. Then saw two does at about 60 yards again.
Sunday = nadda
Just got to get my climber/stool in the right spot and I'm sure I'll be sharing photos by October
Fred Bear Grizzly #55
"so, have you gotten anything with your bow without sights?" - Grandma

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
:D     :D    :D    :D    

Saturday evening, first hunt of the year for me shot a doe 20 minutes after I sat down.

Pics are not downloaded yet but I'm working on it.

My 51# Firefly, launching a Tusker tipped Surewood shaft.  Fifty yard dash and down.   :thumbsup:  

I've never taken a deer this early, I usually don't even hunt this early.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
Great stuff, Tim! Well-done! Happy for ya!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »
Wow! Congrats Slowbow!
Thats really cool

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
What a nice night!  Bumped a couple deer while moving in to the area I wanted to hunt.  They were real close to where I was headed.  That'll teach me to wait until 4:30 to walk in.

I can now confirm that visualization and wishful thinking does not always work to produce deer.    :smileystooges:    I kept expecting to see one stepping out of the brush any time, but no dice tonight.

Oh well, I was entertained by a young grey squirrel who spent a good portion of the evening trying to figure a way to get on top of my blind.    :banghead:
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline kctreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
Congrats Tim,I guess your pretty satisfied with those Tusker heads?I'm still working on all of the bug bites from my first hunt this year,maybe on Tuesday I'll take another venture to the woods. Hot and dry here in KC.Supposed to cool off this weekand strt to feel like deer season.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
Thanks John, yes I'm liking the Tuskers.  I can shoot any head I want but I like them so much I shoot them as much or more than anything else.  Here's my early season doe, taken with a Tusker Delta.

In the field:

Later, the happy hunter:

I hope you all have a great season.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©