3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any deer down in MO?  (Read 2249 times)

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any deer down in MO?
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Way to go man!!

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »
Congrats, Tim! Hope to get my Firefly initiated soon.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2009, 01:29:00 AM »
Nice deer, Tim!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2009, 06:46:00 AM »
Great shootin slowbowin!

Was headed to stand yesterday evening around 4:00, i was running a little late. Got to the stand not twenty minutes later and while climbing up it i saw three does about 150-200yds away. Figured i could circle around in front of them because they were headed away from me at the time. Closed the distance to about 65yds and jumped a covey of quail. Talk about something that will make your heart skip a beat or two! The does nevere made it any closer and i had no cover to complete the stalk. I will try again tomorrow.

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
It will be saturday before I am back in the woods, so I thought I would bring this thread back to the top. This is my only way to see how things are going in Missouri.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
Here's my son with his 1st Trad kill.  I just got him shootin' Trad about 2 months ago.  He missed one on opening day, but stuck with it and got this one on the next evening.  He was mighty proud.  Got it with my Black Swan Hybrid.  

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
Hey Joekeith, Sweet! Congrats to your Boy!  :bigsmyl:  Good shootin, Steve

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
Congrats!
The smile says it all.

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
Congrats on the deer guys   :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
Congrats on your first kill!

Went out last night and didn't see any deer. If i had know that, i would have took out a few squirrels that were tearing through the acorns on the ground. Don't know when i can go again. My wife and daughter are sick and i'm having to stay late at work with the possibility of having to start working on saturdays. If all else fails i still have sundays.

Good luck to all and safe hunting!

Matt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
Very well-done! Many happy returns of the day to you!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
Just thought I'd bring this back on top.
I've been flooded and haven't had a chance to hit the woods this week, but I think I'll try to make it out tommorrow morning.

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
I have been out once, no luck. I did get to try out my Guido's Web tree stand for the first time in a hunting situation. I sit for 4 hours and it was very comfortable. I also got to use the E-Z Kut hand drill and step-bolts. I can say this is the lightest and easiest system I have ever used and I'm sold on it.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
I have gotten so "close" to getting deer killed this year.  Actually I never have had this many encounters so early in season...

Today I made it home around 11:30 am and thought "the wind is gusting a bit and we have had almost a 1/2" of rain, the woods are perfect for some stillhunting/scout combo".  I geared up in blue jean shorts long sleeve camo t shirt and did "cork" my face.  Everthing could not have worked out any better other than actually killing one of these deer. I was creeping down an old logging road stopping to look listen every few steps.  After just making it past a blowdown in the road I stop and just caught movement out of the corner of my eye. I freeze and see not one but two deer maybe 50 steps away uphill on a hogback.  I stand rock still for 20 minutes and the deer feed back and fourth getting about 30 steps close.  A perfect shot broadside with her head down in the leaves digging out white oak acorns.
I started to draw my longbow but just didn't want to shoot so far.  I set the bottom limb tip on my boot and watched the show for another 15 minutes.  BIG FUN!!  Eventually the wind swirled and they blew out...

Until I am really hungry, getting close is good enough.  One of these days things will work out perfectly.

Good luck to all.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
My wife and daughter are feeling much better and my boss said that they didn't need me to go in tomorrow, guess i lucked out so far. It was a busy week this week. My daughter was 2 months old monday, me and my moms birthday was tuesday and my wife and her brothers birthday was yesterday. Talk about doing alot of running around!

Ethan I know what it's like to have a flooded hunting area. The pond where I watched those three small bucks turned into a small lake and I
ain't going to be able to sit there till the water drops about five feet.

JDS3, I hope you get the chance that you've been waiting for and get to bring home some meat.

Good luck to all and safe hunting!

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2009, 04:56:00 AM »
O.k. It's Saturday waiting on for sun rise, and wanted this back at the top. To borrow JDS3's phrase good hunting show me brothers.

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
Got to hunt Thursday night and Friday.  Its been hot but man the deer where movig good.  Had 2 small does come by at 20 yards Thursday and seen a 4 point.  Friday morning I walked out of the house and had a deer blow at me in the YARD.  Seen 4 or 5 deer on the way to my stand with my headlight.  Seen nothing while in stand that morning, but my buddy Dave shot a 7 point less then 1000yds from me in another one of my stands.  Friday evening another yearling,  I dont know where mom was cause this was a baby.  Less then 10 yards but a little to small.

The acorns are really starting to fall and they are not going in the clover,wheat, and bean fields nearly as much.  Wont get out again till Tuesday morning but its supposed to be very cool.  Bring it on.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2009, 12:21:00 AM »
My buddy Keith and I just got back from a week huntin Mo. public land , huntin was tough as all the crops were still in the fields, I shot low on a decent 10 pt at 20 yds on our first day and had a doe bust me out at 10 yds a day or so later, so I had my chances,  but we never saw a really nice deer and numbers were WAY down as they were living in the dang corn. I bet I saw 8 spikes during the week.. more than I have ever seen there.. but Keith did kill (not harvest) a decent 8 pt. with a whopping 5 yd shot..(the hole in the pic is the exit wound)  

Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2009, 03:42:00 AM »
Well-done to Keith!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
Good shooting Keith!

Saw a doe and a little one last night that were too far to shoot. Good news is that i got to thump a squirrel in the head but broke an arrow in the process. I think that the loss of the arrow was worth it.

Hope the rest of ya'll have good luck!

Matt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©