3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any deer down in MO?  (Read 2246 times)

Offline bowhunterfrompast

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any deer down in MO?
« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
Hey guys...congrats   :thumbsup:
Rick Wakeman
UBM Lifetime Member
American Broadhead Collectors Club

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
Hey mjc, good shootin!

Is your brother Marc? He's makin a bow for me right now. Got to shoot with him a while back. Great guy and the best bows that i've ever shot.

Can't wait to see the pics onestringer!

I'm not going to be able to go until saturday.
Good luck to you all and keep the freezer full!

Matt

Offline mjc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
Matt, Yeah Marc is my brother, he does build some nice bows. I think we are going hunting together saturday too, I hope the weather cooperates. Good luck to you.

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
I was on the sideline with a bad back last week but plan to spend some time in a tree tomorrow. Bringing it back to the top.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
I fought the wind gusts (up to 30mph) this afternoon outside doing projects thinking either I needed to stay in tonight or maybe a bit of stillhunting.  Around 5pm the wind died. Grabbed my Shaggie and off I went.  Set up near an old logging road just off a small pond.  The deer (two does) came out of the thick stuff appx 80 yards up the bluff from me and fed off into the wind.  I will adjust next sit depending on the what the wind is doing.  Yeah, I am having fun. This was my 13th hunt since season opened on 9/15 and these two make eleven deer seen with seven being in slam dunk longbow kill range. A couple I let walk the others were saved by the wind, noisy camo, mosquitos and brush in the way.  Bowhunting is never dull !!!  I plan on saving enough in my "tank" to really hunt hard starting the week of Halloween thru gun season opener.. One of these days all will work out.

Did onestringer post the pics of his deer yet? I could not find them...

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline MOstate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
I had at least 10 deer within 100 yards of me on Saturday afternoon. Had a doe and a yearling come behind me, took a shot at the doe but with the wind going right at her, she knew i was there and duck the arrow. Then had a 4 point come through and stop textbook perfect at 12 yards.....but I have a 4 point restriction in my area!!  :(
Fred Bear Grizzly #55
"so, have you gotten anything with your bow without sights?" - Grandma

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
Well, I went out real quick lastnight. Had a few decent toms work their way to me, but I made a rookie mistake and moved at the wrong time. A couple yearlings came in at dark. It seems as though almost all deer activity around here is delegated to the night here lately because of the moon.

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2009, 07:07:00 AM »
Went saturday evening and saw two yearlings and decided to pass them up. They were just outside my comfort range. Sunday morning i was playing peek-a-boo with a half dozen coyotes that were trying top harass the cattle. No luck on getting a shot off. I did get to take some frustration out on a squirrel that i chased up a tree. He made up the tree about 20ft and got knocked out of the tree with a judo point, it's just too bad that he ran off. Last night me and my cousin took a little a walk and boy did we get soaked! I finally got my shot and the old doe ducked my arrow. She is missing a patch of hair where the snuffer skipped off. Swing and a miss! Oh well.

I can't wait to go again and good luck to ya'll!

Matt

Online swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
Saw 16 turkeys this morning, but never got close than about 30 yards.
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2009, 06:53:00 AM »
Well, i saw 14 does last night. Had one at ten yards that i had sat my sights on. I stared a hole straight through her and blew it! I guess i got tunnel vision and missed a few briars that were between me and her, hit one of them and put the arrow in the dirt about three feet in front of her. I can't complain though, it's better than pulling off a bad shot. May be next time.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
longrange at least you made it to the woods and saw deer. I have to work and of course had to watch the entire pregame and Monday Night Football.. LOL  

Favre was better than expectations!  My dedication to bowhunting failed a bit.. LOL  

I am after them tonight!

John III

Compton Life Member #333

Offline mjc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
Matt sounds like a great hunt, I have had a few arrows deflected by briars, makes you want to pitch a running fit,but I guess thats why we shoot these bows its not easy. I bet you get the next one.

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
You know Matt, I don't think that i could have a fit to have saved my life. It was just too dadgum exciting! It is looking like friday evening and saturday morning are going to be some good times to hunt when that front and rain moves through.

Who knows maybe next time i will get one.

Good luck John3 and hope you see as many or more than what i did!

Matt

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
Ok I finally have some time.  

Let me say I and the founder and member of a new organization called "I should not shoot this in September"  I have a disease.  If I have a tag in my pocket and said critter comes with in range, then I am going to shoot.  The sad thing is before I shot this little buck, I shot the doe 20 minutes prior.  I did not find her till the next morning though.

Oh yea and I scored on an AR bear.

Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Scott that is just super!  Already an great season for you...

What did the Dr. say about your eye?

John III

Compton Life Member #333

Offline Want2no

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
Well, I got my first shot with trad gear Sunday morning and BLEW IT!  Doe at 12 yards and she caught me as I came to full draw.  I forgot to aim small miss small   It was more like aim small miss over her back!!   :banghead:  Lesson learned.  I am glad it was a clean miss though.  The limb beyond her wasn't so lucky  

I've missed with wheels in the past but it wasn't this much fun.
Jeremy

Offline longrange

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
Finally got some time to this afternoon. Found something that blew my mind, a rub on a cedar tree that was BIGGER than my leg!!! I will take my camera with me this weekend and try to get a few pics of it. Did get some turkeys on one of the game cameras. I think there were between 15-19 birds on it. Hopefully they will make it till spring.

Want2no don't feel too bad. I've missed two so far.

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
Well, no success stories tonight, but did have a good hunt.  Set up a blind about 1:30 PM in an area I know holds deer, and settled in to wait.  

It was kind of a long afternoon, but right at 6:00, a good sized doe and a yearling came in.  They were excruciatingly close to my range, but somewhat obscured by brush.  The brush made it easy to pass on a shot that would have been pushing it for me ...about 21 or 22 yards.  The girls wisely decided to walk around the large, unknown, blob of camo nylon on the downwind side, and waltzed right out of my life.

Fellas, I saw a buck that was one of, if not, the largest I've ever seen (on-the-hoof) chasing a doe right in the middle of Licking, MO along U.S. 63 a couple days ago.  I think the cool weather has them stirred up.  Won't be long now till the silly season is in full swing!

I think my neck is swelling!    :archer:
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Ethan Grotheer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
Haha Curtis.
Just got back from AZ(no pics to share lol).
Been hearing about all this cool weather. Can't wait to get after these whitetails!!

Offline WoodsyDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
I have been out 4 or 5 times so far. Have seen lots of deer. Video tapped a bunch while eating acorns around me. Last week, I finally decided to shoot a doe and missed two shots within an hour. Can't remember when I've done that, but glad to get it out of my system before a big buck shows himself.
Went out yesterday, saw 10 does and finally had three bucks come in on me. Two smaller ones, a spike and a 5 point circled my tree a couple of times.  Meanwhile, an 8 or 9 pointer that was with them (couldn't believe they were all still hanging together this close to the rut) stayed out about 40 yards munching acorns.  The little guys finally got down wind and picked me up but still hung around on the alert for another 40 minutes or so.  After an hour, the big guy finally had enough and split, taking the otherw with him.

Brian Moeller hunted with me and he was in the deer too, except for yesterday, but has not had the right shot at the right deer yet.  We are having a blast in the woods.  Sounds like all you guys in Missouri are seeing lots of deer.

WoodsyDave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©