3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: $450  (Read 820 times)

Offline jhp0529

• Trad Bowhunter
$450
« on: September 16, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
I am new to archery. I have been shooting a Bear Black Bear that I borrowed from my wife's uncle since January. It is 45# @ 28". My question is this. If you had $450 to buy your only recurve and it was going to be the only bow you could buy for a few years, would you buy a Martin X-200? $450 is a large investment for me. I have the quiver, arrows, and broadheads that I think would work. What do you guys think? Would you hold out until you could spend a few hundred more for a custom bow? Would you try to buy a used bow off the classifieds? Let me know. I like the look of the X-200. I don't need anything fancy. I just want to know if it would be worth it. I am real nervous about spending the $450. I have been wanting to buy my own bow since before I even borrowed my uncle's. I'm just looking for opinions. Thanks

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: $450
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 11:15:00 PM »
I'm not a recurve guy but I would be looking at the classifieds daily.... oh, wait I already do look at the classifieds daily! Nothing wrong with buying a used bow from here, some really great deals!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Mo. Huntin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
I have seen it said on here you can get some great deals on the classifieds here.  I did not think that Martin was near that much money.  I thought it was like $250 if that.  That was a couple years ago.  As for the bow that is going to be a matter of opinion. What ever you buy shoot it first.

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
Martins are generally regarded as one of the best bang-for-buck in production bows.  (That seems to be the consensus on this board anyway.)

I'll tell you this though...Your $450 will buy a WHOLE lot more bow in the classifieds here!!!

I just bought a second bow in the classifieds. I bought my first one here as well. I have right at $250 dollars in bows so far.  If I had bought those two bows new I'd have roughly $850 dollars in bows.

If you've set aside $450, I'd try to find something around $200-250 (you can get some very nice ones if you're patient) and and keep the other $200 for........arrows/broadheads/tabs/gloves/quivers/fletching/arrows/THE TRAD GANG DVD/targets/arrows/strings/arrows...or anything your heart will eventually desire  :)

Food for thought.  YMMV
Micah 6:8

Offline 2madjacks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
JHP,

I live in Sapulpa, also had an x200 and hated it.  You may not know it but we have a custom bowyer between us somewhere near kiefer or mounds. I have heard nothing but good about him and of course am drawing a blank on his name now.  I'm sure you could meet this fella and shoot one of his.  You may pm Ken Sisco here on Trad he just mentioned him to me again a few days ago.  Also on Bowsite the talk up Flanagan bows quite abit, also another okie bowyer. Anyhow if I get the first name I mentioned I'll post it later.  Good luck to ya and if your ever up this way, let's fling a few. I hang at JP Archery here in Sapulpa mostly.

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
Why not get the custom now?  Take a good look at Chekmate hunter II's.  Great bows built however you want within your price range.  I'm taking mine to Colorado Friday but I'll be back in a week if you would like to give it a once over.  I live in Sand Springs.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
I have bought several bows from members here through the classified section. That would be a great place to start. You can also buy a brand new custom Chek-Mate Hunter for $415 or a Hunter II for $465. I almost bought one, but I ran into a deal I couldn't refuse in the classifieds. I'm glad I went the way I did, though it was more than the cost of a Chek-Mate, but Chek-Mates are fine looking bows and I have heard nothing but good about them.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline jhp0529

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »
It seems most of you would try to find something that isn't a production bow. So, let me ask this. If you had approximately $450 to buy your only recurve and your only bow, what would you buy? Feel free to give your opinion. There are so many options. I really don't know which way to look. I think I would prefer to shoot a recurve. That is what I have been using. I'm thinking somewhere between 56" and 60" and low 50#'s at 28". My draw is right around 28". Let me know guys. I am interested in the responses. Bow does not have to be new. If you have seen a used bow in this price range that you would buy, please let me know that it is possible.
Thanks

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
Better buy that predator thats for sale,, Excellent,,
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=034114

Excellent bow for the money,Your getting the same limbs as a classic just the basic riser,Very forgiving,, and very quick bow. Probably one of the most overlooked bows around.
TGMM

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 12:45:00 AM »
I'm with Whitebuffalo on this one. If you can get that Predator you can't go wrong. It is a very fast and hard hitting bow! I wish I hadn't got rid of the one I had.   "[dntthnk]"
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline 2madjacks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 01:18:00 AM »
I know you mention that you want a recurve because that's what you have been using, but you r more than welcome to shoot my Morrison ilf longbow if you just wanted to try a longbow out before you buy.  I have seen quite a few Morrison Cougars and Dakotas for less than you want to spend.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 05:48:00 AM »
The X-200 is basically a Howatt Hunter, right? You can get one used for much less than you are looking to spend on the Martin. Not that I want Martin to lose the sale, but there are a lot of used Martins and Howatts out there.

Y'know, if you were going to buy a bow, it might be wise to wait until next spring or summer. You can go to shoots and try out the wares of the vendors and fellow shooters. Your current bow is good for hunting, you are familiar with it and it mean something to you. Stick with it, do your research, try out bows at the summer shoots and blow your money on a new (to you) bow with your eyes wide open.

Killdeer   :campfire:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ballen28115

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 07:14:00 AM »
My two cents worth after returning to the sport after a 20 year hiatus:

1) Don't get in a rush, try as many bows as you can and figure out what draw weight and grip style works for you.  You will find that trad archers are generous to a fault and you will not want for opportunities to try out bows.

2) Ditto on what was stated in previous posts.  If you have to spend 450 bucks, you can with no problem.  But you can find excellent deals on the classifieds here and on a couple of other sites.  If you have to have a new bow, I think for under 325 you can buy a brand new Maddog bow or a Quinn and you'd still have dollars left over for arrows.  

3) Hold a few dollars back.  Matching arrows to bows runs into some money as do strings, and bits of stuff to put on the string, and a different hat because you can't shoot with a baseball cap on forwards, and a good knife, and postage to have all this stuff shipped to you.

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 07:30:00 AM »
If I remember there was a real good write up for the predator in TBM. Great bow for the money.

Offline ALW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 07:34:00 AM »
Definitely look for a used bow here.  There are some really good deals to be found.  I just sold a takedown bow in really nice shape with two sets of limbs for less than what you are talking about spending.  So far I've had good luck both buying and selling on this site.  I've shot a Martin X-200 and they are nice bows but I think I would definitely do some checking on here for a good used bow first.

Aaron

Offline VAFarmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 07:53:00 AM »
You're getting a "common thread" here on your advice fella, and I would second it wholeheartedly.   I am new also, just now getting my arrows to match with my first bow.  

I can say that the guys and gals on here are (to say the least) very helpful and honest.  They are NOT trying to take you for a ride-and you will find very good prices.

I found the bow I wanted on here the 2nd day that I browsed thru the classys.  It is a supermag 48 bear-close to your draw weight-very nice finish-and Stickpig sent me a ton of "extra getting-started" stuff for less than 150 shipped!!

You SHOULD shoot a few extra to make sure there is not a length/style that you would prefer more.   Shoot, you can find one you like, and post a wanted classy-I bet you will find one.  

Trust these guys.

God bless and good luck,

Farmer

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
For $450 you can get a custom bow from the classifieds and worse case ,if it don't work for you resell it and find another. $450 goes along ways on the classifieds. If you can get some different folks and try some other bows...that would be good!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
There is a crowcreek copperhead in the classified for 335.00 shipping included. Great bow, fast, dependable, and great lookin. 58" 47#@28". If I wasnt expecting a call anytime now, I would have already bought it.
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
I'm with Killy.....hunt with what you have and then try as many bows as you can....then buy what fits you and your style of shooting...just my 2 cents.
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline NancyVTAS

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
Check out the sponsers on here - alot of them have used customs and factory bows!

Dick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©