3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Removable Broadhead? Need some thoughts  (Read 306 times)

Offline ThomastaylorIII

• Trad Bowhunter
Removable Broadhead? Need some thoughts
« on: September 17, 2009, 02:01:00 AM »
Ok, Here is the delimma... I am going on a bear hunt behind hounds this winter. Since the arrow and broadhead being stuck in the bear would be dangerous to the hounds, i need to find a way to get a arrow to hit, fly right, and for the tip to almost fall off after it either gets in the chest cavity, or on the other side of the bear with a partial pass through.

So its kinda like a gator arrow, i have some ideal on how to do this but wanted to see if you guys come up with anything better.

Thanks, Thomas
Only forgiveness will finally end this,
There won't be a witness if we both fall, Theres never a hero in a battle of evil, there's never a winner of the quick draw.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Removable Broadhead? Need some thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 07:07:00 AM »
Just shoot through him and the arrow will be out of the way safely stuck in the ground or off in the woods somewhere.I am sure who ever is handling the dogs will tell you what and what not to do if they have taken bowhunters before.Good luck.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
For kicks you could try no glue but pinned as they did in the 40's, only use a tooth pick. Head should break off and stay in with the arrow free to pull out. Just watch out while gutting him.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline josef2424

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
I think having the head fall off would really limit all the tissue damage that occurs when an animals moves around this an arrow in them.
Carnivores.....UNITE!!

Offline DRR324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
I would think your best shot opportunity would come when the bear is treed.  This allows the dog handlers to lease up the dogs prior to you shooting.  I've seen many videos and recall this is the status quo for this type of hunt.... your situation may be different.
Good luck and enjoy the hunt!
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting?  The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »
I can't speak for bears, but for the dogs safety, when hunting mountain lions I/we always leashed the hounds before any arrow is released.  The same goes when hunting pheasants over pointers.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
Yep.  No need to try something that may cause worse problems, like a pi$$ed-off bear tearing up hounds after it is wounded by some well-meaning bowhunter.  They can leash the dogs till after the bear is on the ground and dead.

Offline ThomastaylorIII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 01:15:00 AM »
That's what I figured, I have a better ideal, 750 grains.. 2blade= hopeful passthrough. I will talk to my buddy and see what he thinks.

Thanks guys
Only forgiveness will finally end this,
There won't be a witness if we both fall, Theres never a hero in a battle of evil, there's never a winner of the quick draw.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Bears aren't built as heavy as you may think,except in the leg and shoulder bones.The skin is relatively thin and ribs aren't that heavy.A hit in the rib cage with a decent weight arrow should pass through.

Good luck on your hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©