3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: WHAT ABOUT STRINGS  (Read 582 times)

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
WHAT ABOUT STRINGS
« on: April 02, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that a fast flite string will get you more speed from your bow. I just got my first longbow (Martin Savannah) and I don't know what kind of string is on it other than "flemish twist". I know that different materials will alter some characteristics of your bow ie speed, noise etc. I was going to get a spare string made up, but I don't know what I want or if it will damage my bow. Any help?
Bret M. FullER

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: WHAT ABOUT STRINGS
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
the best way to find out is ask the manufacturer of the bow did you get it new??  or is it used..  it is probably fast flight compatible then you need to find out what the amo length is and if you want a fatter string or thinner string as there are many different types of strings out there
St. Joe River Bows

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
I got the bow new. Will string diameter affect it?
Bret M. FullER

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 08:56:00 PM »
I am 99% sure it is FF but it is probably like a rope as well, meaning 16 to 20 strands. Find a good string maker and make one up that is around 12 strands of D97 or TS1. 12 strands is fine for bows up there in #age even up to 70+ pounds. Shawn
Shawn

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
it all depends on your liking I like a 14 strand but my new northern mist comes with a 12 strand fast flight and I think I will like it  (61 lbs @28)

do you have a pic of the tip and we can tell youfor sure if it is ff capable but that bow if I remember is ff compatible from the factory
St. Joe River Bows

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
Sorry, broke my camera last week. Am I correct in assuming that a thinner string would be faster and louder? The only info with the bow was a single sheet of paper( thank you for your purchase, setting brace hieght, caring for your bow, etc.) which now contains the whole of my Knowledge.
Bret M. FullER

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 02:25:00 AM »
Thinner can be faster and louder-for your bow a Dynaflight 97 or Dyneema string with 12 strands and padded loops would probably be the right choice-but a good string maker would be a good contact for you right about now. It continually amazes me how much bowyers resist knowledge about strings! Do they do that on purpose? I have bought my share of new bows, and the only bow to arrive with a decent string so far was my Adcock.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
The last new Martin I saw came with a TS-1 string (I think--99% sure on that).  

Thinner can be faster, and can be louder, but not always.  The only way I know to find "the" string for a particular bow is to experiment.  Some seem to do as well with one as the other, some can be picky.

Chad

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
Martins new bows come with a new material made specifically for them by BCY called Double Helix. If you have anything but an X-200 or Rebel recurve or Stick longbow it can handle any modern material.

I built a 9 strand padded loop TS1-Plus flemish twist string for my Shrew Samarai that is noticably quieter than the 6 strand 452X string that came with the bow.

I have been playing around with the smaller diameter strings on a couple different bows for a couple months now and the results have been pretty good. I havent noticed any great increase in speed but the noise factor has decreased some.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
heydeerman,

That has been my experience, too.  I've used TS-1+ strings on a broad range of bows, it's been noted by some that I've bought/sold/traded quite a few bows, and I've found TS-1+ to be the quietest string material of them all, including Dacron.  And it is no slouch in the speed department.  I've got to get one for my DAS Hunter!

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline jonesy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 02:09:00 PM »
I would rather have a bow that is deadly quite then 5 f.p.s.faster in my opinion the noise outways the gains. Prussuming you are going to hunt with it, go with the quitest string you can find and use for hunting applications ,and use fast flight for 3ds, But make sure YOU CAN USE fast flight string.Jonesy

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 03:15:00 PM »
I stand corrected on the Martin strings, and if you want an identical replacement you'll have to get it through Martin.  450+ is close though.

Dynaflight '97 works for me--get lots of comments on how quiet my bow is.  Again though, bows can vary, as do the people who shoot them.  Some bows seem to "like" one material over another.  I've even noticed a lot of difference with one material (on my bow) with a different strand count in the string.

Tuning goes a long, long way in a quiet shot--brace height, silencer placement, and nock fit are all important.

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©