3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what do you use for your archery tackle box?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline cabage

• Trad Bowhunter
what do you use for your archery tackle box?
« on: April 02, 2007, 09:48:00 PM »
I have a lot of stuff I would like to take with me on hunting or 3d weekends, but need some ideas for an archery tackle box?  What do you guys use?  I've seen the little one that plano makes but don't think its big enough.  It's got to fit a bow square, arrow straightness checker, fletching jig, ect.  All the stuff you would take with on a trip.  Do you just use an old tackle box or does someone have something really innovative?

Thanks
Andy

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: what do you use for your archery tackle box?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
Right now I am using an MTM box (Case-Gard S-175) for all that. It is tool-box size, and has a tray that lifts out. They made a drybox that would work well, too. It is taller than a standard ammo can, hmm, taller than their standard dry box, and has a removeable tray.

I have a couple-three other toolboxes for other stuff, stringmaking materials and the like. They stay home. But the one box is stuffed full of things that could put one back on the course instead of moping around camp hoping that somebody has a fixit kit.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline JStark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
I use an old case for a pull-out radio.  It's soft, and a bit small, but I hope to soon get a nice wool possibles bag.
Through education, appreciation;
through appreciation, protection.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »
can't say I gave it a lot of though, but I had a "not in use" basic open carpenters box I'd made years ago... about 20" long by 10" wide and maybe 8" deep, with raised ends and a broom stick across for a handle.  Started throwing the needfuls in and just slipping it into the back of the van whenever I leave and I guess that's become my "system".   Holds lots of stuff.

dick in seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
I run around the country with a "fishing/tackle" box.
Space is at a premium in a big truck ...
folding square,extra string, various points,recurve stringer,wax,nocks,montec sharpener, AND  spinner baits,flies,plastic worms,scissors,pliers
I do use carbons though, so I may be cheating ...
it's a rubber maid tool thingamajiggy box; roughly 10"deep by 16" long , with a removable tray and two boxes in the lid...I bought the little flat 'you size' tupperware type boxes and  somehow I get all that in there...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 11:07:00 PM »
I use a fairly large fold out fishing tackle box. Has four fold out trays with compartments where you can store all kinds of things. I also have a wooden archery box with lift out tray I made about twenty five years ago.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Offline Brian Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 12:49:00 AM »
I was in the same dilemma as you a while back.  I ordered a big version of the Plano box that is so common.  Turns out they no longer make that box, which also turned out in my favor.  I found a much cheaper alternative at that big, evil department store that people either love or hate.

The box is made by Black & Decker and is big enough to fit my fletching jig, feathers, wraps, 3 spools of dacron, a small, homemade broadhead box and some other junk in the bottom.  There is a tray where strings, square, wax and many other misc. tools go.  Also, attached to the outside of the lid are two smaller compartment boxes where all my field tips go. Each grain weight gets its own compartment, plus there is an extra compartment that catches some other stuff, too.  All for just under 12 bucks!

It's nice being able to take just the field tip box(s) if I'm going to the range and want to experiment with different weight heads without dragging along ALL my other stuff.

Good luck in your quest.

Brian

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 01:09:00 AM »
An old aluminum fishing tackle box from the sixties. Probably paid less than 10 dollars. It has three fold out trays. Works like tailor made! LOL!!

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 11:02:00 AM »
I've used a Plano 747 fishing tackle box for years, works fine. Has a top for big stuff, and 4 drawers that pull out for everything else.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline CMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
Another nod to the Plano fishing tackle box!!

Although with all the stuff I've been "collecting" as my wife puts it, I'm gonna need a Craftsman upright tool bin!! LOL

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
Here's a shot of that carpenter's box I use (see above).   Looks like heck, but folks stand around in wonder as the junk comes out... binoculars, knives, tools, glue, bow square, tabs, velcro (just in case), duct tape (in case the velcro doesn't work...  Well, you get the idea.    This used to have a tray in the top but it got wrecked somwhere along the way.    I may make another... or not...

Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Crossed Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
The bigger the box, the more junk I would carry.

On my backquiver, I have a small broadhead file in a slot cut in the leather at the overlap seam.  Also, a small, traditional leather pouch to carry a spare bowstring, a chunk of beeswax, a flint and steel (butane lighter,) a small candle, a small spare brass compass from marbles and a length of twine.

In my possibles bag slung across my other shoulder, I carry a kidney-shaped Swiss Army surplus canteen and cup, a small titanium alcohol stove, some denatured alcohol in a small cough medicine bottle, a few spare arrowheads and nocks, a stick of hot melt glue, and another butane lighter, along with a few other survival things such as a compass, mini-mag flashlight, first aid items and a small carbide blade sharpener.  

I put a cresting line on my arrow at brace height
and glue my wrapped nocking point in place to make it stay where it's supposed to be.  I eyeball my arrows and spin them point down to chek straightness and then hand-straighten if necessary.

On my belt is my knife and a tightly folded lightweight surplus poncho with a length of traditional parachute cord.  Let's go shootin!    

De Oppresso Liber.

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »
I use a new plastic style military ammo box.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
I got a 30 gallon "rubber-maid" box in the basement.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Flesner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 04:44:00 PM »
A box? How in the world do you get everything in a box?
I have a garage, a basement, a spare room, a storage shed, and a pick up truck!

I know where everything is though...., well..., most of the time.

Offline Tom Uselding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 06:13:00 PM »
A fishing tackle box.
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature; old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.  Semper Fi - Tom

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
im like Flesner, ive got everything EVERYWHERE! and i still manage to find it before its too late....
If its brown its down; thats my motto.

"The great questions of the day are decided... by blood and iron"  Otto von Bismark

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
A tackle box for a weekend?    :eek:   I quit shooting something I'd need a tackle box for a long time ago.   :D  I can fit a spare string and a broadhead sharpener in my pocket.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©