3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: First bear  (Read 782 times)

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
First bear
« on: September 19, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
I had bever hunted bear before and was considering going to new brunswick when a friend gave me a card for a young outfitter just starting out just down the road(25 miles). After doing rehab for months due to a broken bow arm elbow I decided to give him a try.

I got to camp and found I was the only hunter for three days. I had been practicing for about two months and I could smoke my targets and had been shooting a bear target for three weeks daily. I was ready or so I thought.

The first morning a 200 lb boar came in and I let him pass. later an 80 pounder came by and entertained me an hour (sporatically) or so.

Then around 7 pm the little guy came back and I watched him for twenty minutes until he bolted off. A big sow was coming in. I focused on her when I noticed a huge boar coming in . Two bears at once!

The boar was broadside at twenty yards and I fired an arrow over his back!he bears left and a few minutes later the sow came back and I again fired over her back. I was sick , mad , confused. how could I miss??? I was lmost ready to quit, so dejected and doubted my abilities.

The next day I decided to hunt a different spot, as I couldn't go back to yesterday's spot, and watched a large sow with two cubs.

On the final day of the hunt I sat and watched the little guy several times through the day. A good bear came in and I let him go. When he came again I drew on him twice but each time at the last second he moved and he was facing slightly forward. I sat down and let him pass.

We knew the big boar and another huge bear we called scar (due to a 4 inch scar on his side were coming in near the end of shooting time).The big sow came in at 6pm and I jut sat and watched her. I watnted one of the big boars and I had a little less than two hours to go.

Another good boar cam in at 7:25. I watched him and the clock. When he left I noticed my legs were shaking with anticipation. I told myself, this was crazy and I should just relax. Suddenly a feeling of calmness came over me. It didn't matter what happened , I had seen nine bear , it was a great hunt regardless of a kill or no kill. I was content and at peace. I sat down at 7:30 when I noticed a small piece of black moving through the bush.

It was Scar. His huge head peaked through the trees and he waliked past me at 16 yards. I stood up and as he angled away I reached for an arrow. As he turned and stood broadside at 20 yards the began my draw.

Unlike the previous times I had drawn on the bears there was no noise, no trees, no doubt about the shot, just silence and an almost tunnel like view of the bear.

A split second after my finger reached the edge of my lip and my thumb the underside of my jaw the arrow was on its way. I watched as it struck him in the back of the lungs. I didn't get a pass through with my 41 lb Chekmate fired 1916 Steel Force 125 gr Sabertooth but it was buried to the hilt.

We found the arrow and broadhead about ten yards from each other. Finding him was an incredible feeling. Bradley and I checked him and found that the broadhead had done it's job with a huge exit hole on his side.

It took Bradley and I two hours to get him back to camp as he weighed in at 320 pounds.

I'm going back and hopefully I won't be alone as sharing the experience with some more bowhunters would have made it even more special.
I'm hooked.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: First bear
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
Congats! Great story too. Hope too hunt bear one day. One day.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
I've got some nice pics as soon as I figure out how to put them on.

Just to be sure on my last day I put on my old Prince George Silvertip Archers tee shirt under my camo. I don't believe in luck but it couldn't hurt  LOL
44# Chek mate Hunter II

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
44# Chek mate Hunter II

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
Nice bear!   :bigsmyl:
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
Way to go! Good use of proper arrow and tuning for your bow and sharp two blade BH. Fine bear!!!!

Offline swp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
Congrats!
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
Congrats on the beautiful bear.. Black Bears are just awesome! By far my favorite animal to bowhunt. That is saying something with all the whitetail deer in Missouri.

JDS III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
Congrats on a beautiful bear,and thanks for sharing your story, I'm still chasing my first bear!
  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
You stuck with it and made it happen, congrats!  I don't know much about bears, but 320 seems pretty big for a black bear.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
Very nice bear!! Congrats!!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Very nice.Most first time bear hunters don't have that kind of restraint.you did very well.What a great hunt and onlt 25 miles from home!It sounds like a great operation.

Offline Mr Vic at the cabin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
SWEET... way to go.
"If i could help just ONE person on the good path and see things they did not understand i would feel that i have accomplished something worthy in my life."  Ken Mowery (Adkmountainman)

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Awesome job.  Congrats on your first bear.

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
Congrats!  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
Awsome! Congratulations Sir!
Steve.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
Congrats on your first bear!  He's really a handsome brute and his coat looks to be in fine shape.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »
Congrats great bear.  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
VERY NICE!!!  When we calm down and let go is when it works so well! Give your self a good pat on the back.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :archer:
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©