3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lion killed Blacktail buck pics  (Read 1173 times)

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lion killed Blacktail buck pics
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
Great pics tell the story. Don't be blindsided. Thanks
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
Pretty cool.I would like to have put a trail camera on that.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
Great pix...very cool.

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2009, 03:22:00 PM »
Walt
Like Ron, the lion kills really facinate me. I love it when I find a fresh one in the snow and get to read the whole thing like a book. Several times I've followed the lions tracks to a bed close by, lots are close enough to watch the kill.

My all time favorite kill was a bull elk that a tom lion killed in a stream. The bull had a injured foot and made his stand in the water. The cat had tracks all around him on the bank and finaly got the best of him and took him down.

The bull was big enough that the cat couldn't get him up over the ice shelf at waters edge. He ate most of the meat available above the waterline. Somewhere I have a picture of the bull as I found him. He was a big five or small six point.

I know Ron has pictures of other kills also. RS

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »
I relate to reading the sign, they can tell quite a story.  I have found kitty beds numerous times after finding a fresh kill, one time I even managed to sneak to twelve yards on a sleeping tom without him knowing I was there.  Unfortunately, I had recently moved to Montana from Idaho and didn't have a Montana lion tag.  I sat there and watched him for five minutes before backing out to go find my brother who had a tag, but he was gone when we returned and hour later.  Somewhere on my old computer (that crashed last year) I have pictures of lion killed mule deer, elk, and big horn.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »
Wow, awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

I'll bet it's an eery feelin' knowing that a big cat is somewhere around watching you when you find his kill like that. I know it would be for me. Makes me kinda glad that we don't have lions around here.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 04:26:00 AM »
Thx for sharing! Thats a great picture-story!
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Michael Pfander:
I don't know about the rest of the world but in AZ all the research says cats like mature bucks because they are more often alone.  And just as we know they get stupid once a year.

MAP
I remember reading about that study 10-12 years ago. Mature bucks are loners and more apt to stand his ground and defend himself, but doe's and fawns take flight at the first sign of danger.

Here in Oregon where I spend alot of time in the woods, the overwhelming number of kills I find are bucks.  Some are big dawgs in the prime of their life!
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roughcountry:
Walt
Like Ron, the lion kills really facinate me. I love it when I find a fresh one in the snow and get to read the whole thing like a book. Several times I've followed the lions tracks to a bed close by, lots are close enough to watch the kill.

My all time favorite kill was a bull elk that a tom lion killed in a stream. The bull had a injured foot and made his stand in the water. The cat had tracks all around him on the bank and finaly got the best of him and took him down.

The bull was big enough that the cat couldn't get him up over the ice shelf at waters edge. He ate most of the meat available above the waterline. Somewhere I have a picture of the bull as I found him. He was a big five or small six point.

I know Ron has pictures of other kills also. RS
Robin...you sent me those pics of the bull in the creek several years ago. I may have burned them onto a disk with other wildlife pics.  Found a spike bull one time that had been killed by a cat, but we don't have all that many elk in the north Cascades.

I was amazed by the how much of the buck had been eaten overnight. My investigation could only dig up one set of big tracks. It's possible a bear could have came in and polished off the remains, but no bear tracks or bear poo in the immediate vacinity.

As Roughcountry can attest to, we have A LOT of toothy predators in our woods. I never feel concerned when hiking around though, and very seldom pack a firearm.

TK
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
I have wondered how many cats I haven't seen that have watched me while out hunting. I have only seen 4 over the years...but I bet there were more than that that were near me I didn't know about.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
I was in CO a couple weeks ago mulie hunting and I was riding my mountain bike in on a trail. I came over a hill and stopped because a mountain lion was standing in the trail apparently stalking rhodents in the boulder field nearby. It saw me and made tracks! Pretty cool! I think it was a young adult. Probably the only one I will ever see in the wild.

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
Ron, I think that elk picture is on one of my disk's also. Not sure which one though.
I remember you sending me a picture of another lion killed buck that was a dany also.

I got a shot at a female lion with my recurve a few years back. She came sliding by me as I was trying to get in on a couple mullie bucks. I thought it was another deer untill she got enough past that I could see her tail. When I realized what she was my head jerked and she caught the movement and crouched and turned to look at me. I had a arrow on the string so I thought I may as well try to get to anchor. She raised up as I was drawing and when I released she gave me a leason on how to jump the string.

The arrow passed right over the base of her tail when it got to where I had picked my spot.
She never once made a sound getting out of there. My arrow did make plenty of noise and both bucks left the area like a couple of pogo sticks.

Was a pretty cool deal, I at least knew my stalk on the bucks was the right one. A master was using the same route.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »

Here are a couple of pictures of a buck that a friend came upon during an elk hunt this year. The pictures don't show it very well but the front shoulder was eaten. There was cat tracks around it. The cougar probably wasn't far away I would think.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©