3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What practice target for less $$ than The Block  (Read 1277 times)

Offline jlbpa

• Trad Bowhunter
What practice target for less $$ than The Block
« on: April 02, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
I have a large round whitetail target I bought to help beginners not loose my arrows.  Trouble with it is the arrows are really difficult to pull out of the target for my own practice.  Blocks are too expensive.  What's just as good or better but not as expensive as The Block?  It needs to stop arrows from a 65 compound bow too ( my buddy's).  And not wear me out pulling the arrows.

Thanks

Offline saltwatertom

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What practice target for less $$ than The Block
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
I use throw away plastic. Bubble wrap, plastic bags, packing material etc. Pack it really tight, the tighter the better, (into a big trash bag usually) then into a card board box, (might need help pushing it into the box, then taping it shut), this makes a great target, it's usually free, (local stores like to get rid of the stuff), and expendable, and lasts quite a while. Works for me, stops arrows from my Dalaa (#55) that shoots and penetrates arrows as deep as my #70 compound (forgive me for having a wheelie bow, I don't shoot it any more :-) )
"There is always luck about, for those willing to look for it"

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
i use a seed bag filled with bird netting that you can get from a vineyard it is awesome and it never rots all you have to do is put a new bag on when you shoot it out wich will take about6 months of shooting every day. now the bag is free and so is the bird netting it is old stuff they get rid of because of holes in it. hey cant get any cheeper than that LOL!!!  :archer:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 11:20:00 PM »
Morrel Eternity Bags are good targets they last a long while and can be had for about 35 bucks. It stops them off of my wheel bow(430 grns. @ 270fps) without issue.
Bret M. FullER

Offline Straitshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
Academy Sports has a layered foam target similar to the block that is about half the money. It however may only be about half as good as the block. I have one and have had it about 6 months. It is beginning to look pretty shot up. I have a large Dead Stop target filled with a type of thick white synthetic fiber that I have had about six years. I have put numerous new covers on it and still shoot it. Originally cost me about $30. One of the best purchases I ever made.
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »
I use burlap bag filled with plastic grocery bags. If you hang it horizontal, it is about the size of a deers body. Arrows pull out easy and with a little Thompsons Water Seal, they will last for quite a while outside.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »
Check some dumpsters behind a strip mall. You can usually find some good foam like cube from packing material. I get stuff from work that is used for packing around computers and stuff that is alot like "the block". A large hay bail set up is always nice too.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 12:03:00 AM »
I purchased the large "block" style targt from Bass Pro Shop last year and am very pleased with it. The large one is 22"x22"x14" and sells for 69.99 or less if you catch them on sale. When I received mine, it had a shipping label from Field Logic on it(they make the Block). It will stop my compound arrows as well, field tips or broadheads.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline cabage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 12:15:00 AM »
we have been shooting at large rectangular hay bales lately (3x3x6 several hundred pounds), i think if we keep them covered they will last more than a year or two from daily shooting. best thing is when it wears thin you can just feed it to the stock and reveal the next one.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 12:26:00 AM »
Try and get some carpet remnants and roll it into a cylindric shape.Mine has stopped 10 months worth of 30 to 70 shots a day and shows no sign of quitting on me yet.

Offline jlbpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 12:41:00 AM »
Way back in the late 60's when I started shooting archery wire bound tightly packed standard size straw bales were what I used (And I grew up just outside of Philly Pa.)     Here in podunk (Frankfort Ky) I've never seen wire bound full size like yesteryear straw  bales.  I have a woven type feed bag in the garage and started gathering up dry clean plastic and plastic grocery bags.  I'll check at work tomorrow for some shrink wrap.   I'll go this plastic route but I'll keep dreaming about the tradition of staw bales and yesteryear.

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 03:23:00 AM »
try going to  www.howardhillshooters.com  and scrolling down to "Target Box and Backyard Range".    I built a 4 x 4 x2 plywood box with hinged lid, rope and carpet front.   Been using it daily for 2 years.  any time it's needful, I just open the top and rearrange the foam rubber or plastic stuffing or add more.  pix at the sight show the whole thing pretty clearly.  oh, yeah, it's on wheels.  this one is indoor, but an outdoor version would be easy enough

dick in seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Coachy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 03:31:00 AM »
Wool bale stuffed with plastic bags/bubblewrap etc    :thumbsup:

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »
I use Rinehart's little black thing that looks like a 3D stop sign...can't think what its called but it has neon yellow spots on it, a rope handle, and you can kick it around the yard.

I've owned it for three years...it's been shot over 2000 times..and looks about like it did the day I bought it..compound, recurve, longbow...it doesn't matter...two finger pullout....and the holes repair themselves so well.

You just don't want to shoot it a lot with broadheads...but for the cost-less than 100 bucks- and 3 years use? No comparison with anything else.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
I don't know....a pile of dirt works pretty well for me   :rolleyes:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline LoneWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »
I went by a local furnature store(Lazyboy) and got some of the thick gray plastice off of the couchs.  they also gave me a couple of old seat cushions.  Fold it up into a 3x3 square, and it stops arrows pretty good.  Put two seat cushions inside one and it works pretty good as well.
LoneWolf
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;" Gen 27:3

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »
Ten bucks for a U-Stuff It target and a trip to your local furniture store for used sheet plastic will set you up with a target you will shoot at for years and years.  Stuff it tight and it will stop anything this side of a handgun.

If you manage to shoot the cover to pieces, another ten bucks and slide it over the old one and you are shooting again.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 10:36:00 AM »
I generally shoot broadheads and found the TrueGlo target to be very durable compared to the block, black hole, etc.  I probably have 5-600 broadhead shots into mine with no passthroughs yet and plenty left to shoot apart.
Is it September yet?!

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
1. burlap bag stuffed with plastic grocery bags

2. Same as Ray. Rinehart 18-1 block. (Contact Mike's Archery Leather)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
If you can catch up with Kevin from Monster Targets (from GA, I think) those are the best deal I've seen on a bought target.  They aren't pretty, but will stop field points or broadheads, easy to pull, and generally last a long time.  I have heard of some not-so-great ones getting out, but I've got one that's been in use several years now.  You can get a huge target for $50-$65.  Down side is they aren't too portable, especially the big ones--HEAVY.

Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©