3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bean Boots and Cold Tree Stands  (Read 627 times)

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
Bean Boots and Cold Tree Stands
« on: September 20, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am looking to purchase a pair of L.L. Bean boots as my cold weather boot. I usually hunt in the Northern parts of Texas so it does not get down into the single digits or anything outrages like that very often. So, the upper teens to the low 20's is about the coldest it gets. (Just a few degrees cooler than I like it.)

My question is this: Are these boots warm enough to sit on stand all day in cold weather? Usually, the first thing that gets cold is my feet, resulting in me hunting fewer hours when it is cold than I would like. Also, would you suggest getting the gortex version of the boot?n Or just the Thinsulated version?

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bean Boots and Cold Tree Stands
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »
No they are not warm enough to sit all day  in the 20's let alone the teens. Try another boot with better insulation.

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
I wear mine when mornings are in the 30s but when it gets down to the low 30's into the 20's I go to similar style boots with some insulation - Schnees or LaCrosse.
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
I saw Bean boots in the catalog, lined with shearling!   :eek:

Good socks, shearling, and boot blankets and I could sleep out there, if my feet ever stopped sweating. I hunt in Sorel pac boots a lot, and the rubber gets durn cold, even with a liner and good wool socks. What I have done while sitting is to put any spare item of clothing I have over my boots. A knit hat on one, two wool glommits laid over the other...   :rolleyes:    The trapping of the air around the rubber makes my feet markedly warmer. The hat and glommits wouldn't be very practical on your treestand, as your first move would be to send them tumbling into the rack of the buck making a scrape under you. But boot blankets or some kind of windbreak for your feet, and a pad under them would make nearly any boot suffice.

Killdeer~Grabber Mycoal test pilot   ;)
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
I don't wear my Bean boots if it's going to be below 40 or so in the mornings. I HATE cold feet, but love my Bean boots...when it's not too cold.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
I have old, old Bean boots with removeable thick felt linings and combined with a couple pair of wool socks they will work.  I don't know if you can still buy them though.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 01:54:00 AM »
I'm sure there are other boots around that work but for me, time has proved over and over that only one kind of boot is on my feet when it's going to get cold.

Known by many names through out the country they are the Mickey Mouse, BATA, Moon, or Bunny boots, all rubber with an air valve on the side.

They are cut from flight suits from Air Force pilots and rated for sub zero temps.

I buy the black for hunting of course, not the white, but the white are rated for even lower temps.

Some dont like them because they are over sized a bit and a bit clumsy till you get accustomed to them. From cold deer hunting mornings to standing on the ice, fishing all day......they are a mandatory part of my outdoor gear.

Cold feet and this old fart do NOT get along and nothing can improve the day if I let my feet get cold.

40 plus years of wearing them and cant imagine not and I'm so used to wearing them that even  out bunny hunting and non stop walking they are on my feet.

Get them a size too big and wear a thick pair of socks (my preference) and heck, half the time I don't even LACE them. I just stick my feet in them and go.

Like this pair here. 250499506317

Forget the snow and the water wearing them. I had to buy another pair after 30 years because someone stole mine. Wearing them out is just about impossible.
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »
http://www.kenetrek.com/prodinfo.asp?number=KE-0428-6K

When it gets Wyoming cold, these are on my feet. They work for me.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
I lucked into a very inexpensive price on a pair of King of The Mountain wool boot blankets. I wear my Bean Boots during pretty cold weather, and just use the blankets when sitting still.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
I have two pairs of them and Allan's right they are good to about 40-45 degrees at best. Take a look at the Lacrosse Alpha Lites. I just got a pair and they would be the ideal boot for those temps and in the same price range. Whatever you get don't get them too tight. Order a size larger for thicker socks and breathing room. Tight boots cut off circulation, which is why alot of toes get cold. Even the warmest boots on the planet won't keep you warm if they are too tight.

http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/product/hunting+boots/rubber+boots/alpha+lite%26trade-+pull+on+mossy+oak%26reg-+duck+blind%26reg-+16%22+hunting+boots.do
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
Feet warmers are good for a few hours.
It's always good to have a few in your hunting pack

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
I wear my LL Bean boots for most of our hunting season even down into the 20s. When it gets cold I wear good wool socks and a wick pair of socks over the wool to help keep my feet dry and warm. I've been using Beans almost exclusively for most of my 30 years of hunting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Doug A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
In my experience, foot warmers make my feet sweat and once that starts it is game over for warm feet.  I love my Maine Hunting Shoes and will switch socks when they get wet, just so that I can walk quietly.
Member UBNJ, TANJ

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
I've looked at the LL Bean boots for years, but I've heard of the spot where the rubber and leather meet chafing your feet.

I've seen posts like above with folks using them for years.

I guess maybe it's time to try a pair.  But then those Muck boots look interesting too...

I just want lightweight, soft bottomed, still hunting boots.  todd
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
Hearing your opinions has been very helpful. The boots you all have suggested seem great and I will look into them further. Since we do not get many cold days like I described above (meaning those days are abnormal), I am thinking about getting the insulated boot and great wool socks to accommodate my cold toes on the coldest of days. If you think I am making a major error, please let me know. Also, anyone from Texas want to weigh in?

Thanks again everyone.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
two tracks, a sponsor, has wool felt linings. the thick ones are very nice in addition to the ones they come w/. I use a thick pair of socks and toe warmers, or two pair and possibly toe warmers to keep them warm on those cooler days, but they are not a great cold weather boot.

Offline LarryS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
MOST COMFORTABLE BOOTS I'VE EVER HUNTED IN.HUNTED MANY,MANY SEASONS IN THEM FOR BOTH PHEASANTS AND DEER. BUT DID NOT SIT ON STAND IN REALLY COLD WEATHER
L.C.SMEEN

Offline Doug A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
The gore-tex/thinsulate liner is well worth the extra cash.
Member UBNJ, TANJ

Offline Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
It was sooo cold yesterday when the storm front moved through, I had to cut my hunt short, cause my feet couldn't take it. I was probably dangerously close to frost bite from being to stubborn. On my way home I stopped at the surplus store, and picked up a pair of mickey mouse boot for $40. I should have never gotten rid of the set I acquired in Korea.

My NCO 12 years back said he would do very bad things to me if he caught me wearing those boots. He was worried that I would get trench foot from sweating too much in them.

Today I was able to sit comfortably in my natural blind during this storm. I had to cut today short cause I got my truck stuck, and couldn't concentrate. Luckily another hunter heard me trying to dig my truck out with a shovel, and pulled me out. After sharing stories, he tried to convince me to switch to compounds. Not a chance...........

Two bad days in a row, but still better than 10 minutes at work.

Mickey mouse boots are awesome. I say give them a whirl, and you will not be disappointed. I'm sure you can find them cheaper than I did in Texas, and if you don't like them, I'm positive you'll be able to sell them here, and possibly even make a buck or two. Cold feet can ruin a good day of hunting. I still may eventually buy some LL's but for now, the MM's will be on every snow day.

Kind regards,
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Offline DJTJR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
MUCKBOOTS  for the money best boot you can get for the cold weather.  Neoprene so be careful with scent (if you dedicate a pair to hunting its not an issue) but no different than the other cold weather boot options such as sorelles etc.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©