3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Info on Pack Goats please....  (Read 353 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Info on Pack Goats please....
« on: September 20, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
G'day all,

Well after spending time with the MO Sherpa in CO we talk about different types of pack animals and the idea of some pack goats sounded good to me.

As I said to John, "Travel light, freeze at night!" was the way we did things in the aussie infantry! And I'm not a big fan of lots of kit to travel. I seem to always pack light now.

So... if anyone has some old threads they know of, info on breads of goats that are best suited, the kit needed and any other info, then I'm all ears and a penny for your thoughts please.

Regards, & looking forward to the replies.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline helo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Info on Pack Goats please....
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
Al you have a pm with info.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
Thanks for that lads. I forgot all about this thread!

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Conner Parry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
I know a guy here in Utah that has lots of Pack Goats and takes it really seriously. He doesn't hunt, but check out his web site, highuintapackgoats.com

I currently have two pack goats, these little buggers can pack. If they are in good shape they can pack about 40 pounds. My dad has a couple Mules and some Horses, but these goats can be handy as well. The guy from High Uinta Pack goats recommends that hunters hunt with their goats. Meaning let them walk around the mountain with you, he has had many big Muledeer walk within a few yards of his animals on the trail.
here is Rastus, my four year old goat.

Shoot Straight

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
I'd look into alpacas or llamas. They eat anything like goats and "store" water like a camel. Also, they carry a huge percentage of their body weight in cargo - oh, and the wool is fantastic.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©