3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snuffer sharpness  (Read 737 times)

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snuffer sharpness
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
Leatherneck, When you shave with a Broad head, how much pressure are you using ? and is it a sawing motion or just like a straight push/pull ? I can get mine to shave , but it takes a good bit of pressure and a sawing motion, so Im not sure this is really shaving sharp  :rolleyes:  ....I guess if you push hard enough anything will shave..Yes Im challenged you could say. Thanks for the help, Shane
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline Pack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
I had trouble for the longest time trying to get the 3-blades as sharp as I wanted.  I found the trick for me is to use a new file and do 3 rounds of 60 strokes.  Medium, light, and then very light pressure.  A couple of strokes on a piece of leather and they will absolutely shave and pop hair.  I never used to believe you had to pull the head lengthwise on the file, but it is the only way I can get them truly sharp.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »
No sawing champ, just straight down. Very little pressure needed. If I put pressure down then you will see red.  :bigsmyl:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
Alright fellas.  Ive got them sharp.  Probably sharper than is safe in my hands.  I got them sharp and figured hey might as well shoot them and give yourself a chance to resharpen them.  Out of the five im packin' four of them are making slight hissing sound as they travel down range.  Its not much, its not even really a whistle, just slight sound of hissing, like a very slow leak from a bike tire almost.  They all spin true when spun on a table, is there something I can do to rectify the situation with the noise.  I cant readjust them on the adapter because they are epoxied in place.  Need some suggestions on this topic now.  Geez youd think its only a few days till the season opens up around here

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
Just shoot'um....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dustin Waters:
Alright fellas.  Ive got them sharp.  Probably sharper than is safe in my hands.  I got them sharp and figured hey might as well shoot them and give yourself a chance to resharpen them.  Out of the five im packin' four of them are making slight hissing sound as they travel down range.  Its not much, its not even really a whistle, just slight sound of hissing, like a very slow leak from a bike tire almost.  They all spin true when spun on a table, is there something I can do to rectify the situation with the noise.  I cant readjust them on the adapter because they are epoxied in place.  Need some suggestions on this topic now.  Geez youd think its only a few days till the season opens up around here
Thats the "Hiss of Death", by the time the deer hears it.... to late!   :archer:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline champ38

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
My WW have always had that sound, but have killed serveral with them, they didnt seem to notice.
56" Shrew Classic Carbon 68@29
58" 2-P Centaur Cabon Elite 57@29

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2009, 01:10:00 AM »
just so you know, I just put a 160 through an elk, sharpened exactly as you describe, can't shave easily, just fast through the rubber bands.  They didn't even slow down through the elk...it too a rock on the other side to do that.
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2009, 02:20:00 AM »
cool beans elkbreath
Last season I knew my snuffers were sharp enough to hunt with even though I couldn't get them to the hair popping level I usually do. Well the big Snuffers didn't fit all the way into my bow quiver about an eighth of an inch of the back edge was sticking out. I reached past the bow for my shooting glove and didn't feel anything. Then I was wondering where all the blood was coming from. I had a 5 inch long 1/8 inch deep cut on my forearm. Yep they were sharp enough to hunt with.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
AHHH, the hissing. Music to my ears. Love to hear my snuffers hiss. As I have said before" Lets the animal know he is about to be Sufferized".  :bigsmyl:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2009, 09:59:00 AM »
C2,
Same for me two years ago with my WW's. Did it in the dark right before I went up the tree in my Summit Viper. My headlamp was showing blood all over my Viper and I thought I must have not washed the blood off from the last deer or something.... ? About 15 minutes after I was settled and it was light I found the source of the blood.... My left hand !!! Never felt it. When they come off the files, then the leather strop they are hair popping sharp or they do not go in the quiver.

nocams  :scared:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »
Alright well ill just deal with the gentle sound of death.  Should work well enough for me.  Season is exactly one week away.  I woke up this morning to a doe and fawn in the back yard having a staring contest with my GlenDel.  I think the target won that contest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©