3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Sept. in Montana  (Read 681 times)

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sept. in Montana
« on: September 21, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
I was going to email several of my friends about yesterday then thought all might enjoy hearing this. Gene and I did a sports show in NY last weekend. He then went to FL hog hunting with Biggie and Marty. I flew right from NY to MT since my daughter had a baby boy last week. I got a little heat from that since I signed the contract for the NY show before she knew she was pregnant. Anyway, new grandson named Griffin and everything is cool. Whenever I return to MT I tend to burn the candle at both ends trying to catch up with old friends. Gene's daughter Amy and her husband Kevin (and 3 boys)live in Hamilton. Kevin took a few days off to go elk hunting this week. He invited me to tag along although I didn't hunt. First off I probably shouldn't tell exactly where we went, but I'll say it was in a very popular elk hunting area of western MT that I was totally unfamiliar with. What blew me away was the lack of pressure. I never hunted this region before because it had a reputation of a lot of hunters. As we drove into the area via gravel roads we passed several campsites along picturesque mountain creeks and not a single camper, tent or RV. Nobody. We got to the area an hour before pink light and walked in via some old logging roads. This is public land, not behind locked gates, etc. Not a single tire track or footprint that I saw. Since Kevin is 37 with long legs I was a little concerned, but he promised me it was good fat-man elk country. And it was. I couldn't believe this was such good looking country and no other hunters. This was Sept. 20th (Sunday)in prime elk country and no bowhunters. Go figure. It was an absolutely beautiful day, sunny, high around 65 degrees. The only minimal negative was it was somewhat windy with gusts to maybe 20 MPH which made it hard to hear bugles or be heard. We called in two cows and a calf and a fourth one that I couldn't identify (just saw pieces); saw a couple coyotes, mulies, potted a grouse, etc. The country was rolling lodgepole with small natural parks and literally dozens of little potholes with plenty of elk sign including wallows, big fresh rubs and connecting trails with lots of tracks. This might sound corny but I really enjoyed the smells of the pine and scattered sage. The fall colors were coming on strong, including the reds of the huckleberry brush. Anyway, I just wanted to mention what a great day in elk country I experienced even though I didn't even have a bow in my hand. I just might need to put in for a license next year. Cheers to all. BW

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sept. in Montana
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
Uncle B...I'll put in for a tag with you; I'll even carry your elk out for you   :thumbsup:

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
sounds like a blast, UB. Wish I'd been there, too!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
Sounds like a perfect time to me.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Mocsin1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
Sounds great and congratulations on the grandchild. I' sure you will have a bow in his hand soon.

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
So, Barry, ya own a camera????
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Mark: Really!! I was already over-packed with all the stuff from the NY sports show and I didn't have room for squat. I was kicking myself all day I didn't have my video camera. You can only imagine how thrilled gramma was about me not bringing the camera for the new baby pictures. Not having a camera for the elk country got me semi-off-the-hook. Sorry guys. bw

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
Makes me miss home even more...the Gravelies were my old stompin grounds...I guess the wolves tore the elk up bad down there in recent years though.  How about where you were at Barry, any sign or talk of the wolves?
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Yeah, lots of wolf talk everywhere you go in MT elk country. They have apparently been devastating on the game populations. They opened a limited wolf season (75 permits) last week. Some hunter shot one and had his photo in the paper holding the carcass. He supposedly received fifty DEATH threats the first day! Obviously all Montanans are not hunters. bw

Offline Tyler Carlson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 12:06:00 AM »
Well, I guess you'll just have to move back now  :)
"The desert's quiet and Cleveland's cold..."

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
I was fortunate to spend a September in Montana with every bit of it in elk country or Whitetail cottonwoods. That September has haunted me ever since.  :(   Someday...  

Congrats on the new grandbaby!!
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
COngrats on the new grand boy Barry,, Sounds like a nice trip too. JB
TGMM

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 02:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Barry Wensel:
 He supposedly received fifty DEATH threats the first day! Obviously all Montanans are not hunters. bw
refugee Commiefornians no doubt.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
Beautiful country regardless of the time of year.  From the few Montanans I've talked with, what's crowded to them is quite desolate to most of the rest of us.   I'm hoping to hunt Montana next year.  My daughter lives there.  Two birds with one stone so to speak, a visit and a hunt.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
congrats on the birth of your grandbaby and it sounds like you had a good time in Montana, thanks for taking us there with your story.

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by bbassi:

Originally posted by Barry Wensel:
 He supposedly received fifty DEATH threats the first day! Obviously all Montanans are not hunters. bw
refugee Commiefornians no doubt. [/b]
or Woodstock holdovers from NY...  :D
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »
Congrats on the grandson....and the story!
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
Here, Barry, I'll help you out.  I hunt Montana once in awhile.  Last year looking northwest from near the Idaho line.

Looking north over the Gravelly range.

And now about the wolves.  We hunt an area of Idaho that has the highest grizzly population in the state, as well as relatives of the first wolves released in Yellowstone.  In a normal year, we have a pack hunting the same area we do, and they do move elk around from spot to spot, but the elk are still there.  Last year we didn't seem to find many elk, but in Montana, just across the line, the archery elk season went for about five weeks, and then the rifle season started.  It went for eight weeks, either sex, across the counter tags, until they hit a quota of 1800 elk killed, if I recall.  Now, you can blame wolves for a lot of things, but SOMEBODY in Montana really doesn't like elk.  Evidently, the Idaho elk were in Montana, and they didn't like it.
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline IronCreekArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Mark,

Is that Lake Red Rocks?  I have a buddy who does a lot of hunting around Nightmare Lake...from the pics its looks like you might be in the same country.  I used to hunt the Gravellys a lot...I sure do miss it...
We do not rise to the occasion.  We fall to our level of training.

Offline IndianaBowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
Congrats Barry on a very successful trip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©