3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help me trim my pack weight!  (Read 1137 times)

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me trim my pack weight!
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
Apex,

love this post! question for you: where did you get the leather holder for your tree steps/drill combo! use that alot and dont like the case i have now.

Doeboy

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
Marty, your pack looks about like mine.  Like you, I carry more than one flashlight.  I've busted flashlights, blown bulbs, and just plain had them tear up.  You don't want to be miles from the truck, can't see your hand in front of your face, and have to walk out in the dark.  One knife, no sharpener.  The deer I field quartered last night was done with a dull, dull knife.  I had messed around and forgotten to sharpen it after cleaning the last one.  It's aggravating, but you can do it if necessary.  Sharpen it at home and you're good to go.  I don't carry any calls, but have in the past.  Try wearing you stand OVER you backpack.  It'll provide some cushion.

After the season has been in for a few weeks, you'll start to get used to packing the load and it won't feel like such a burden.  It's the same way for me at the first of every bowseason.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline High Knob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
Weight - whether it is around your neck, on your feet, or on you belt - is weight and will wear you down over time.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
I just got my new Loc-on Limit, which is 4# lighter than my Loggy Bayou Predator.  The platform is smaller though.  I think it will carry fine on top of my pack.  I'm gonna test it tonight after work.  I'll stick with an extra light, but I am toting too many batteries.  I just ordered that 1.5 oz replaceble blade knife, so the sharpener goes, as does the extra knife.  I'm making progress!  Thanks for all the tips.

I made that case for my drill and steps Doeboy.  It's the cats meow.  Do a search for my handle and you will find a pretty detailed thread about it.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
replaceable blade knife even better! Can't wait to see this picture when I get home to get a better idear of what's there and what isnt.

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
actually a good selection.  If you really need to trim, a "broadhead knife" eliminates your cutlery and spare if you are using screw-in heads....

ditch the bow arm.  its not a necessity. you have hands and a lap.

there is an arrow clip that holds a camera.
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
i thought the parachord is the breaking strength of the number it is labeled...for example 700 is 700 lbs...just guessing. you have to be careful! not all parachord is "the real deal". there are camp chords labeled parachord and do not have the same characteristics or strength.

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
Marty, most of the parachute chord I see is 550.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
I would figure out a way to use my lanyard system as a game hoist and ditch the ratchet strap.  i would also ditch the sharpener.  Then I would add another water and be right back to the same weight.  Stay hydrated.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 09:39:00 AM »
I hunt in the Adirondacks most of the time. I have a fight with my pack every year, trying to trim the weight. If there is anything in your pack that you "NEVER" used...get rid of it. As far as the water I might go to a Hydration system insted of the bottles. Other than that Looks like we both carry to much stuff, but if it works stick with it.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
I'm modifiying my stand to take a waist belt.  I'll keep you folks posted on my progress.  Should have it worked out tonight.

I think I've shed around 5# total, so far.

Offline Wallcrawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
I always feel that food and water are priorities.  I carry well over 100oz each time I hunt the whole day, just about 90oz for a half day.  I hike a lot so it is necessary. Protien bars, nuts, fruit(dried ok), maybe a candy bar for fun.  
My Wyoming saw is my heaviest piece of gear but I can fall a pretty big tree if needed and make really quick work of an elk with it.  I have multiple knives so I understand the redundancy, sharpners diamond stick and carbide style weigh nothing.  Rope (25') because cord is too difficult on the fingers, especially when cold.
I actually have an extra coat in my pack in addition to the one I start the day in, have made a shelter with it, sat on it, worn it for rain gear, great pillow...Toilet paper, baby wipes(absolutley essential for many reasons).  Head lamp(LED) with extra batteries ( really tiny, not C,D-cell), compass, altimeter, electrical tape, orange tape, montana decoy and legs, current book (optional)...

That is just the stuff that is alwys with me, I carry my binoculars, assorted calls, bino pen, whisper dust,and a few more things on my person.  I say, consider yourself good on light weight and don't remove much more but maybe upgrade a few things that could drop oz to lbs.  I won't even weigh my pack due to fear.

Offline Wallcrawler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
Just an after thought.  I switched to a new pack this year from my older fanny pack.  The new badlands pack, although not a light weight was not appreciably heavier than the fanny pack it replaced.  Some weight could be saved and greater comfort achieved with a change in packs.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
Thanks for all the good suggestions!

My new loc-on stand came in and it's four pounds lighter than my other one.  I have rigged it with a waist belt.  I took the parts from an old ALICE pack frame.  I will also utilize the shoulder straps from the pack.  I mounted the waist belt frame so that the stand rides closer to my back than the original frame did.  It rides much better this way.  The modifications added about a pound to my lightweight 8# stand.  My pack clips to the back of the stand with two carabiners.  

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
I just ordered a pair of micro-pulleys and three carbiners.  I just increased my mechanical advantage and cut my weight by half on my hoisting set-up.  I'll post when I get the pieces, and get it rigged for a test.

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »
18lbs is heavy for day hunts, in my opinion.

break any hunt into stages, FYI what I do for my hunts and how I arrange my crap in the garage is..

-kill kit (tags, game bags, Gerber Gator and DMT sharpener, drag rope, etc...)

-Survival (water, first aid, water treatment for long hunts from the truck, map, GPS, etc...)

I always take water treatment pills, even on day hunts.  I have had stomach issues in the field from sipping questionable water, not as bad as some folks have experienced but a bottle of PotableAqua is light and cheap Insurance

-Hunting (bino's, extra bow acc, wind checker, treestand stuff, etc...)

-camping/hiking (bivy, bag, pad, tarp, etc...)

Also a log of what is used and what is not is great.  I can't tell you how much stuff I have dropped from my pack for all types of hunts because I logged what I needed, and then you see patterns of stuff you don't need as well.

Though the best weight to trim fits under the pack.  I know guys that buy the latest backpacking stove or gear to cut ounces but could lose ten pounds in a few minutes a day for a month or two.  

Good luck and stay safe.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2009, 12:36:00 AM »
I was also going to recommend West Marine for some two or three sheeve blocks.  that and 550 cord can lift a horse and weighs less than a horse ear, though if you ar epacking out the critter use the gutless method and the pulley is just for the treestand.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2009, 02:11:00 AM »
guess I dont see why guys are adding water though when you can have a light weight filtration/purifications system and have all the water you want without carrying it all...all over hill and dale?  is finding water an issue?

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2009, 06:58:00 AM »
My $.02

-safety harness and climbing lanyard
Hunt from the ground and leave that behind.

-two bottles of water. I will normally carry more on my bike.
How long are you out? Can you do with one bottle or some sort of water purification stuff?

-marking tape and emergency whistle
-campers toilet paper for marking blood trails
Which one - marking tape or TP?  I'd leave the tape home and take the TP.

-bow hanger, and a couple of small hangers for pack and quiver, and extra knife
All extra weight - leave it all behind.

-reflective twist ties
More marking stuff?  I'd leave these too.

-compact thermacell attached to pack, re-fills, and bic lighter for starting
You have bug spray further down the list.  Leave the thermacell.

-extra batteries for lights, camera, and gps receiver
Leave the camera and GPS batteries home - nonessential (I see a compass on your list).

-mini scent free bug spray
Use this at home and leave the can there.

-drill and climbing bolts in case
Hunt from the ground and leave this.

---

If you can find a copy of The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher - it's worth reading (at home).  He is nuts for weight reduction and though he doesn't seem to be a hunter, he has great info for folks trying to pack light.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2009, 07:22:00 AM »
If it's a day hunt, I prehydrate the night before
(that's key)and then drink a bottle before I leave my vehicle. That way I only carry one bottle in.If it's a long hike in, I stash a water bottle along the trail and drink it on the way out(that practically saved my life on a long Florida deer drag once)
I wear my safety belt going in if hunting from a stand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©