3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: experience tuning AD Trads ?  (Read 295 times)

Offline newtradgreenwood

• Trad Bowhunter
experience tuning AD Trads ?
« on: September 22, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
I could not get AD Trads (Lite or Heavy) to bareshaft within 6" of fletched arrows.  Always seemed to tune light (either true or false light).  Tuned 2216 Al, CE Terminator Select XP 45/60, CE Maxima 350 tuned to the same impact with no problem.  Bareshafted AD Trads with point weight & nock adjustment until 6" apart, but no better (have points from 75 gr. to 300 gr.). Fletched flew great, bareshaft did not.  Tried fletched at 10 feet & they were hitting straight.  Did not have to re-tune broadheads when using same weight field point.  Anybody else have the same experience ?

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: experience tuning AD Trads ?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 03:30:00 PM »
AD trads will not bare shaft, period. Just cut them to the length you want and fletch, then tune with point weight. The producers tell you not to try and bareshaft them, will not work.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
Tom, I have no direct experience bare-shafting the AD arrows, but from what I've read here before, they tend to bare-shaft weak.

I recently purchased a half-dozen to see how I liked them, and I have to say I'm impressed.  I simply "broadhead-tuned" mine, and the proof is in the puddin.  Broadheads group right with my field points, and both fly wonderfully.

I'm shooting trad lites cut to 30" with a 100 grain brass insert and a 150 grain WW screw-in broadhead, from a 52@28 Schafer Silvertip drawn to about 28.5".

Never thought I'd say this, but I'd forget about the bare-shaft testing and just shoot whatever broadheads you're going to hunt with.  If they're hitting with your field points, you're golden.

---------

Looks like I was typing whilst Danny was posting.  Think we said the same thing, except I had to be a little more verbose...    :bigsmyl:
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline newtradgreenwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Curtis,

I'm real close to you, I drawing about 29", 53 lbs. Fedora 560 recurve 60" long cut past center about 3/16".  30.5" arrows & a 125 gr. point.

Danny,

How do you point weight tune with fletchings on ?  Watch or have someone watch the arrow when you shoot ?  It shoots where you point ?

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Well,Tom, what I mean is,if you want a longer arrow you may need lighter weight heads, shorter arrow heavier heads. I draw 29" and I know what works for me so I just cut my arrows to 30", install 100 gr brass insert and 250-300 gr point. broadheads hit with field points. I can also use the standard aluminum inserts and same weight heads. Then it is just a matter of watching the arrow flight and tweeking my nock point or brace height to get the perfect flight I want. Not really tuning with point weight per say, I have found that with these carbons I can get perfect flight with any point from 125 to 300 gr. I just prefer the heavier points.

Lot different than when I shot wood arras, then I really had to play with point weight to increase or decreas spine as I tuned.

Hope I did not confuse you.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
My experience matches Danny's.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
I concur with whats been said above, some have had good results with bare shafting the ADs , most have not . Danny hit the nail on the head , very forgiving arrow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©