3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2009 West Boulder Ranch Adventure  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2009 West Boulder Ranch Adventure
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
:campfire:     :coffee:

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
Im very familiar with that little cabin.Been there a million time in my deepest dreams.Cant wait for the story.

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
Looks like we crossed paths, Claudia.  We ate dinner with Doug and Karen at the Baker's house in Livingston the night before you arrived.  At least you got to hunt with my brother in WYO.  Good luck on your adventure at the West Boulder, and Jeff, too!  Hope to see you BOTH in Nashville at the PBS banquet.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »
originally posted.......                        
-------------------------------------------------
Oh goody--two of my favorites!

Don't Lamb it up too much; I've got an early flight in the morning to a place where there are NO computers

That right there is F-U-N-N-Y.....I don't care who ya are  :-)   :bigsmyl:    :goldtooth:    :biglaugh:
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
This trip has been on hold for two years for me as I did not draw an elk tag last year.  Plus for numerous reason, my most anticipated hunt ever!  

My connection with Doug goes back about five years when I purchased one of his caper knives.  I fell in love with that blade as it fit my hand perfectly and it just came to the end of my index finger.  I do a lot of surgery and my fingers are the guide for my scalpel or knife.

In conversing with Doug, I said I had some old forging equipment that one of our farriers had given me...but I had no idea of how to go about making my own knife.  Well that's how our friendship started...Doug taught me how to make a knife through Trad Gang on the computer   :thumbsup:  He was always kind enough to compliment/encourage my latest version with one subtle hint of how I might improve it.  To have him as a mentor has been a very special gift.

Later on our families have met out at the ranch and I even got Doug & Karen to come spend some time in Boston...not necessarily Doug's cup of tea but a good Lobster Dinner can be inviting  :)

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
AWESOME STUFF RIGHT HERE. Lets hear MORE!<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
Speaking of Jeff's knife building prowess...Jeff had no sooner unpacked his gear before he unwrapped a couple of little surprises for his mentor and me.  My little gem is below.

I had of course seen this nifty design on previous Tradgang posts, but having one in my own hand and being able to fully appreciate the feel and balance of the blade was a real treat.  Plus, ya gotta love the purple cord!  My compliments to the knife maker for his sense of fashion.

:bigsmyl:
Pinecone

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
Our first morning hunting was quite an affair.  The plan was to go to Cow Camp later in the day, so we decided to prowl around the area of the lower ranch property in search of mule deer.  Jeff and I had decided to take turns on stalking opportunities, so we started glassing for bucks that we thought would provide us an opportunity.

We did have a couple of stalks on Day One, including a 3 1/2 hour affair that resulted in me peering at a bedded buck under a juniper at a distance of four yards for more than an hour. While I waited for him to stand up from his long comfortable nap, I marveled at being so close from and yet completely undetected by this mature mulie.  The wind was perfect, which gave me the opportunity to see him yawn, periodically stretch his legs, doze, and sleep in manner that few humans ever get to experience.  It was amazing...right up until the fickle September breeze touched the skin on the back of my neck and sent the buck into orbit!  LOL!  Ya gotta love bowhunting!  
It sure was fun while it lasted   :thumbsup: , but what I came to discover during the week, is that once detected, it definately doesn't last long!
Pinecone

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Well as I said this was a special trip from Day One, St Judes has become my special charity, Doug my mentor, and Never having hunted the West was looming over my head.  

Three years earlier, I had torn some cartilage in my right knee on a West Texas Sweat hunt that had to be cleaned up.  I am now 63 years old and could this body really hunt the Western Mountains?  That was my Biggest concern.  In trying to build a practice and raise a family, my hunting before Trad Gang had been whitetails from tree stands and an occasional caribou hunt on the tundra of Quebec...hardly hills from someone living at sea level.  In anticipation I lost 35 pounds (below my college basketball playing weight...but not necessarily distributed in the same locations as younger years  :)   My knee seemed fine but I couldn't really run anymore.  Anyway I got in the best shape I could as I didn't want to be sucking for air as Doug was waiting on the top of the mountain!

Now I was packed and flew into Billings to meet up with my new friend Pinecone.  She was as nice if not nicer than all the articles I've read of hers through the years.  The ride to the West Boulder Ranch seem to solidify our new friendship.  Claudia grew up in Ohio not more than ten miles from where I grew up.  Our paths seem to criss cross...of course I was way ahead on the Time Chart...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
The afternoon saw us packing up our gear and making the trek up to Cow Camp.  Doug thought we might be able to get into some elk by moving to this area of higher elevation, so by nightfall Doug, Karen, Jeff, me and our two camp mascots, Lizzie and Buster were all moved in to comfortable, but primitive accomodations.

Now...a word about Ms. Lizzie and Mr. Buster.  These two characters are the beloved and rather mischevious Jack Russell Terriers that run Doug and Karen's house.  The are affectionate, entertaining, and adorable...and they LOVE to chase mice...all night long!

Now, this passion for rodents was not really an issue for Jeff and Doug.  They had set up bunking quarters in a wall tent outside of the cabin that Karen and I were sleeping in.  And according to Karen, no self respecting mouse would be caught dead trying to maintain residence in any location where Doug would be snoozing...or more accurately snoring  :D .  That only meant one thing:  the mice would be bunking in the cabin with us!

Lizzie pretty much ignored the reality of rodents, favoring instead the opportunity to curl up with Karen on her bunk and get some extra attention.  Buster, however, was another story.  He saw this as a chance to take charge and be the top dog.  Thus, he worked out a complex plan of patrols and skirmishes throughout the night to keep the perimiter safe from any would-be perpetrators.  Throughout the night you could hear his diligent tip tap across the wood floor as he made multiple rounds to ensure our safety.  Damn, we felt safe! LOL!
Pinecone

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Nothin better than tag-team Ohioans tellin hunting tales.  :thumbsup:
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your adventure....patiently waiting for more......
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
Evening All, sorry for the late arrival, been very busy...

As Jeff stated we've known each other for some time and I was really looking forward to spending time with him on the mountain. And it had been my goal to get to meet Claudia also, fortunately she was the high bidder on the last St Jude Elk Hunt. Hosting her and Jeff at the same time was just double the treat!

Mother Nature wasn't very nice to us in the weather department throwing some brutal hot temps at us. It sure didn't feel like mid Sept but we certainly made the best of it. As when Brian Halblieb was here I have to tell you it was a blast showing my country to new comers.

Well I better get around and get some supper, looking forward to reliving the adventure!

I think this is from the first morning on Baker Mtn

Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 05:56:00 AM »
Great picture bud.....

I've hunted with you, and hunted with Jeff.....I sure hope I get to meet and hunt with Claudia some day. She's quite a huntress!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 06:14:00 AM »
Great stuff! keep it coming.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
I have been waiting for this story to unfold.   :campfire:

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
Hey Doug! I think I recognize that spot... though it looks a little different.

Lovin this so far.  :wavey:    :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline sticshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
Morning all. I just seen that great pic of 3 people Shell and I think alot of. What a way to to start the day. Now one of you 3 start talking . Peoples are awaiting.LOL<><
The Church of God is an anvil that has worn out many hammers.

"Walk softly..and carry a sharp   Stic."
TGMM

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
I agree with Frank, start spilling the beans.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
I'm retired and between early and late Elk Season.... Can never pass up a good hunting story....but life is short, so bring it on    :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©